Firewall and the Real Estate Agent

Afternoon Somersofterians,

I have a question about firewalls and community titles. My sister is in the process of buying her first unit which is part of a 1970 era recently renovated set of community titled units.

Upon paying for a property inspection, the report came back from the inspector and indicated that there is no fire-wall between the adjoining units. Is this illegal for community titled units to have no fire wall between them, as is the case with strata units? What other implications are there with community titles...I.e. still possible to rent them out at a later date?

Obviously, she called the real estate agent who says that yes there is a fire wall between the units! So I suggested that she call back the property inspector to verify WHY he said there was not fire wall (I.e did he view the construction plans or physically climb into the roof cavity and inspect for the double brick fire wall etc)

One of them is lying or has not done their job correctly. Upon further research, found out that the selling agent is also the developer! Is this usual?

Any other suggestions team?

C

Thanks for your suggestions.

The word is that a fire wall exists which was in accordance with 1970's building regulations. That said, the property inspector advised checking with local council to find out if the wall had to be upgraded during the renovations.

Must admit that my sister feels a little uncomfortable dealing with a real estate agent who she feels has a hidden agenda and didn't disclose his interest in the sale.

The party continues...

C

from my understanding if a unit block was built in 60s, 70s (pre building code of australia - BCA) it obviously doesnt comply to current codes and doesnt need to..

however if an individual unit or the whole block gets renovated then yes the work undertaken must comply to the current BCA codes..

i would say a common wall between units would require a 60 minute fire rating (60/60/60) this is the time the wall will stay up under a fire not to sure what type of materials the wall you have there double brick or a stud wall?

if the re is developer ask to get a copy of occupation certificate - a private certifier or council must inspect building work as it is done and certify it complies with bca standards.. the buck will stop with them if there is no fire wall & the have signed it off.. good luck

Back