Fixing a Roof

Due to the heavy rain last week, water started into my ceiling in the extension part of the building.

I've had a quote from a local roofer and he's quoted me the following:

It appears the leak is coming from the metal roof where the previous installer decided to nail part of the roof.

I've since put silicon all around this to stop the water from getting in, but the timber barges on the side are deteriorating and the white sheet eaves have also started to come off.

I've got a quote to install barge flashings on both sides of the time roof (measures about 10m on one side and 7m on the other side) - no mention of the white sheet eaves being replaced/repaired and the quote has come to $1,200.

In addition I also showed him a section on the back of the roof where the metal roof meets the pergola roof, and its leaks there too in heavy rain because it doesnt extend far enough.

He said he would install some transition flashing between the metal roof and the clear pergola roof which would stop this from happening and quoted me $880.

I also went up into my attic to look at the roof on the original part of the building (tiled) and i noticed water was leaking there too. It never made its way to the ceiling because i have wood panels installed on top so I can store stuff in the attic.

I also had the roofer look at that, and he said the valleys were rusted and needed to replaced. The quote for this was $1,800.

It does look at bit expensive from what I see (total of $3,880), and im wondering what should it be really costing and if anyone can recommend a roofer who can fix these problems for me at a cheaper price. I was really hoping all this would be less than $1,000.... or am i just being naive?

Firstly look at making a claim on your building insurance. Get three quotes. All you'll pay is the excess.

Secondly, I HATE working on roofs and $4,000 isn't anywhere near enough to get me to do it. :D

I would, except the excess is $5,000 on my building insurance (I figured if I was ever going to claim, it would be a big, so i might as well save on premiums).

I just got quoted $1500 to put in about 10m of flashing, $500 for a few other repairs, and $2000 to replace all the nails on the roof.

Don't think your quote sounds that bad.

quote sounds reasonable (IMO)
first the cost of the flashing etc will be almost 1k considering your getting 17m + the length of the pergola and the rusted valleys
get a few quotes and compare

Back