Floor plan design

hi all

I'm using the approach of getting my own plans after speaking with some very seasoned developers on SS. These designs are independent of a builder so that i can get quotations on the build. I'll be holding these as opposed to selling. attached are the design layout for all 3 villas, wondering if you kind people could comment on it in areas i can improve on.

so far i've made notes on the following.

Unit 1:
- remove door to kitchen from store/garage
- extend the kitchen bench on the store side wall
- door to WIR
- powder room (separate toilet) lose the sink, 1 less item to maintain for a rental

Unit 2:
- door to WIR
- i'm not a fan of island benches so getting it changed for the bench with return
- powder room (separate toilet) lose the sink, 1 less item to maintain for a rental
- theatre room minimum 4m at 1 side

Unit 3:
i don't really like the layout at all. bed 1 is located near the main living areas, the theatre room is also positioned near the main living areas, looks like there's a zero lot boundary wall at the back of the block in addition to a garage boundary wall of unit 1 on the left neighbour's fence. that means i'll have to deal with getting agreements from 2 neighbours instead of 1? i think.

Hoping to get some feedback from you folks who've been doing this with your eyes close.

Attachments

• triplex-floor-plans-rev1.pdf
    514.9 KB · Views: 117
Ok - might be an essay - I know you want something thorough :)

But they are just my suggestions and ideas so take it as you want.

Unit 1/Front Unit
- if you take out the door to the kitchen perhaps move it to to the living room wall.
- centre the double doors to the theatre
- don't do a bricked in linen in the laundry do a laminate one as it's bigger and you can match the laminate to the bench for a cohesive look
- consider putting a door to the hallway to the minor bedroom areas
- consider swapping the laundry and the main bathroom around so that you can create a drying area above it.

Unit 2/Middle Unit
- I know you don't like island benches but they are pretty popular at the moment. I'd consider making it longer to line up with the pantry
- ditto linen
- agreed on making theatre smaller if you can

Unit 3:
Not so bad. There is compromises you have to make to get 3 villas onto a block some days. I like the placement of the Theatre there.

Don't worry too much about agreements. Don't quote me but I think having 2 boundary walls like that is fine - it's more of a problem when one unit has 2. I know one of my Gwelup ones (front A) had 2 boundary walls and both neighbours didn't like it but as soon as I took out 1 of them it didn't matter if they didn't like it, as it was ok.

I think the plans work quite well, but I would be reluctant to proceed with the placement of the laundries as in plans 1 and 2. You would never be able to do a load of clothes while anyone was sleeping down that end of the house. If you could squeeze a laundry into the "store" area in the garage at the end of the kitchen (retaining the current door) that would then free up more room inside the house - even if only used for storage. We once rented a house set up like that and I found it perfect. I could manage the washing while in the kitchen and could put on a load late at night when the kids were asleep without it bothering anyone. It also has the advantage of someone being able to drop their dirty clothes into the laundry when coming in from outside or from the laundry :)

Hi MTR & Walker

Thanks for the very useful comments.

with unit 3 i don't quite like the master bed next to the living area. it's okay if you have very young kids (you'd be inclined to put them to bed early) but if you've a teenager who stays up and the adults want to go to 'bed' early it could be a tricky situation.

Hi MTR & Walker

Thanks for the very useful comments.

with unit 3 i don't quite like the master bed next to the living area. it's okay if you have very young kids (you'd be inclined to put them to bed early) but if you've a teenager who stays up and the adults want to go to 'bed' early it could be a tricky situation.

Said teenager will have a tv in his/her bedroom so no worries :) With villas it's very hard not to have either minor bedrooms or master bedrooms next to the living areas.

Said teenager will have a tv in his/her bedroom so no worries :) With villas it's very hard not to have either minor bedrooms or master bedrooms next to the living areas.

MYF

with unit 3, what's your opinion on placing bed 1 at the back of the house? do you think swapping with the minor beds will work?

Last edited:
Back