flooring

i'm not putting this in the adding value because i am doing it out of being at my wits end

i'm looking at replacing my ppor's carpet because we got a puppy.. (that sale was a lie!).. I like the look of timber flooring, but now considering hard wearing vinyl with the timber look because i gotta consider waterproofing my floors..

is this logical? can't believe vinyl is costly as timber! Any hints, ideas?

We just put vinyl plank in our IP in Bris - love it. was so comfy to walk on etc and great in summer. We have a 11.5 year old Blue Heeler with long nails (hates getting them trimmed) and he couldn't damage it.

We went to a chain store to get the plank but at Painter's suggestion asked for commercial grade end of line. Scored big time. Must add went to three other of this chains stores and they were hopeless.

Hey Mooze,

Sounds good, was looking into sheet was worried with spaces between planks - can you give me where you bought it from? (i'm also from Brisbane) indication of price range?
I was quoted $230/4m

image5[1].jpg

We had Karndean vinyl plank flooring installed about 10 years ago and it has been brilliant for our family with 2 young children, very easy to clean and maintain and quiet underfoot. Can't recall what it cost, might have been $50-$65/m(?) installed. This recent photo is of our kitchen/family room (YAY! our house was finalised as under offer on Christmas Day after being on the market for only 4 days). :D The vinyl has been installed with two planks running lengthwise as a border and the in-fill on a 45 degree angle. I would definitely use it again.

We just had bamboo flooring installed in our PPOR bedrooms and it looks brilliant. We were worried about the sound in the rooms downstairs but that is not a worry. Would highly recommend bamboo at $35 / sq metre + installation, seems much better than paquetry (which we have in some areas) and less expensive as compared to other hardwood floors.

i'm not putting this in the adding value because i am doing it out of being at my wits end

i'm looking at replacing my ppor's carpet because we got a puppy.. (that sale was a lie!).. I like the look of timber flooring, but now considering hard wearing vinyl with the timber look because i gotta consider waterproofing my floors..

is this logical? can't believe vinyl is costly as timber! Any hints, ideas?

waterproofing your floors? it's not the shower. just put some bostik vapour moisture on the concrete assuming it is. then lay the underlay and floorboards otherwise if you want to build an base frame for timber - u can do that or if it is pre existing just polish the older boards.

you can have laminate or any other floating floorboard (bamboo to timber). wouldn't go vinyl it is a bit of a turnoff.

don't get too paranoid abt the floors being resistant to waterproof been in 6-7 places where i installed floorboards while also having a dog who pees a bit the only place to waterproof is wet areas like your shower etc.

Go the vinyl planks, their cheap, easy to lay, hard wearing amazing the punishment they take, soft, soften noise, cant tell the difference to the real thing, lots of variety, easy to clean, pretty much water proof easy to put sealer-polish on. Ive been using them for over 10 years and they look better than new. Tenants love them.

Thanks guys, definately looking at the vinyl planks option now, if only I knew about them when I renovated my IP years ago! btw is cashflow positive now :D

Has anyone tried Floor in a Box?

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_floor-in-a-box_1199.aspx

youtube of it being put down:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw76VRXMjHg

seems easy enough, doesn't say if need underlay but elsewhere on site says vinyl can be laid directly to carpet.

The best pricing I got for vinyl sheet was for just under $2k incl install for ~35sqm (approx $20/sqm), vinyl planks were $40/sqm - for the same size flooring using floor in the box would bringing it down to approx $700, can't beat that saving..

Back