For sale... but no price

I've emailed a few agents and had not reply at all.

One I did follow up this week and agent said he hadn't received my email. I do wonder how good the "email agent" button is?

That has happened to me before too. My email got blocked: spam.

To me, it's ridiculous. I don't go down to the supermarket to find blank brown boxes with a price of "Let's talk".

To me, it's ridiculous. I don't go down to the supermarket to find blank brown boxes with a price of "Let's talk".

Your analogy is hopelessly inadequate.

You don't go down to the supermarket and buy cartons of milk for $ 650,000.00 or loaves of bread for $ 4.3 million.

You also aren't forced by law to sign a written contract prior to purchasing a packet of biscuits.

As one of the gurus said years ago "stop wishing it was easier, wish that you were better".

Your analogy is hopelessly inadequate.

You don't go down to the supermarket and buy cartons of milk for $ 650,000.00 or loaves of bread for $ 4.3 million.

You also aren't forced by law to sign a written contract prior to purchasing a packet of biscuits.

As one of the gurus said years ago "stop wishing it was easier, wish that you were better".
Do you think it is a smart strategy for an agent to list a property without a price or address? If you were selling would you use this as a marketing strategy?

Personally, I don't think it is a smart marketing strategy or a smart way to sell a property and I doubt it gets the best price for the vendor. I don't wish it was "easier". I never said that. I am questioning whether the unusual tactics used by agents to market properties are getting the best result for the vendor.

I sold my house last year and my agent listed the property with an address and a price. It sold quickly for more than I wanted. No mystery about it.

I have personally seen agents play games with prospective purchasers and get less for a property than they could have. Sure, I wish I was better :p

Do you think it is a smart strategy for an agent to list a property without a price or address? If you were selling would you use this as a marketing strategy?

it's a strategy - if you want more information you need to contact the agent, in return they want your contact details. It cuts out a % of the Tyre kickers.

Personally, I don't think it is a smart marketing strategy or a smart way to sell a property and I doubt it gets the best price for the vendor. I don't wish it was "easier". I never said that. I am questioning whether the unusual tactics used by agents to market properties are getting the best result for the vendor.

I sold my house last year and my agent listed the property with an address and a price. It sold quickly for more than I wanted. No mystery about it.

I have personally seen agents play games with prospective purchasers and get less for a property than they could have. Sure, I wish I was better :p

They do it all the time in inner southside Brisbane,maybe the agents just sits out in the back lunch room and flips a coin on the price that the outcome goes into you win,lose ,win,lose,..

I don't know why this keeps happening. Last auction I went to, the agent (auctioneer) got into it with a group who had put in a written offer higher than where the auction stalled but the agent advised the vendor to refuse the offer.

The two most powerful drivers are fear and greed.

Pre-Auction/at auction there is an air of greed. The buyer is led to believe that their property is worth more than the offers on the table.

When push comes to shove, fear often sets in and the vendor doesn't want to lose the deal even if the current offer/bid is less than the previous written offers.

If the vendor is stubborn or you don't know their motivation they will hold out often to their own detriment especially if is a reluctant sale.

it's a strategy - if you want more information you need to contact the agent, in return they want your contact details. It cuts out a % of the Tyre kickers.

I think it is a silly strategy. An agent told us this week that something like 60% (cannot recall the exact figure quoted) of people simple don't bother clicking on properties without a price (not talking auctions here, but private treaty listings with no price).

I know for me this rings true. I don't bother with listings with no price, unless a property really tweaks my interest. I think "they want too much". Usually I ignore these listings.

They do it all the time in inner southside Brisbane,maybe the agents just sits out in the back lunch room and flips a coin on the price that the outcome goes into you win,lose ,win,lose,..
The major capital city markets seem to really different. In Victoria, auctions are the norm. In Perth, auctions are quite rare. I went to 6 auctions out of interest last year. 4 out of 6 properties had the property passed in... in an active market!

It's far more common in Perth for houses to list with a price, price range or "from" price. Most houses sell this way. It's just the market.

Seriously?

This is a sign of a lazy agent. If my (well designed & paid for subscription to re.com) enquiry system kept sending live leads to spam, would I keep up my subscription?

Yes, seriously! I called the agent and asked for his email address because he didn't get my email from re.com. I know him and he's a good bloke. He emailed through plans on the enquiry property straight away. Maybe he just set up his subscription wrong. He might not be very computer savvy?

The major capital city markets seem to really different. In Victoria, auctions are the norm. In Perth, auctions are quite rare. I went to 6 auctions out of interest last year. 4 out of 6 properties had the property passed in... in an active market!

It's far more common in Perth for houses to list with a price, price range or "from" price. Most houses sell this way. It's just the market.

Well I guess in all free market we have in Australia,,real estate is just one of the many and to be successful they all allow the trail and error process
for every competing individuals in the real estate game,or maybe they just wait thinking a mug who and just won lotto will walk in sign a one sided contract and pay any price,someone gotta fill up the BMW when all the credit cards are blown..

Well I guess in all free market we have in Australia,,real estate is just one of the many and to be successful they all allow the trail and error process
for every competing individuals in the real estate game,or maybe they just wait thinking a mug who and just won lotto will walk in sign a one sided contract and pay any price..
Maybe. But that seems like a risky strategy when selling an expensive asset!

Let's go to the lowest form of news in Perth to back up my argument... :p

"SALES methods that are too sophisticated could be turning buyers off your property."

"REIWA Sales Consultants Network chairman Paul Dilanzo said while most new methods were designed to get the best price for the seller, some could be scaring buyers away.

"The feedback I get from a lot of buyers is that the sales methods without prices confuse them and they end up walking away from a property,'' Mr Dilanzo said.

"Buyers want to know how much a property is.

"There should be a guide at the very least.''

So there you go. lol

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...o-sell-your-home/story-fnhocxo3-1226677157587

Do you think it is a smart strategy for an agent to list a property without a price or address?

Yes.

If you were selling would you use this as a marketing strategy?

Yes.

I am questioning whether the unusual tactics used by agents to market properties are getting the best result for the vendor.

It's only unusual to you. That doesn't make it unusual.

About 2003 was the last time I purchased a property with a price tag attached. There has been a lot of water under the bridge since then. You do get used to it as a Buyer....in fact, you learn to thrive in the arena where other Buyers like you are too scared to tread. Opportunities present themselves to a canny Buyer that otherwise wouldn't present themselves if a price tag was dangled by the Seller.

Mr Dilanzo is simply parroting what Buyers like you are telling him. Doesn't mean that either you nor he know what you are talking about.

Don't write off something you don't know just because it makes you uncomfortable.

Screen out all those properties that make you feel uncomfortable and stick to your knitting. Either way, it's not a big deal.

perthguy, this is off topic, but how did u manage to get your IP under asking price in such a hot market ? We haven't been able to negotiate very well. When we put an offer below asking price, someone else snapped it up and we didn't get the property. So in the end we just give the asking price to secure the property.

I hate it when agents make buyers bid against one another. Once, we ended up paying way higher than the asking price as there were 7 other offers. Nowadays we run far away from agents like that.

perthguy, this is off topic, but how did u manage to get your IP under asking price in such a hot market ? We haven't been able to negotiate very well. When we put an offer below asking price, someone else snapped it up and we didn't get the property. So in the end we just give the asking price to secure the property.

I hate it when agents make buyers bid against one another. Once, we ended up paying way higher than the asking price as there were 7 other offers. Nowadays we run far away from agents like that.

I bought something no one else wanted. A house full of junk, 2 sheds full of junk, junk spilling out into the yard, house smelled like dog urine... it was pretty disgusting actually. I also wrote a 2 page submission of how I arrived at my offer price. Which the REA gave to the vendor.

In a hot market, everything sells for above the asking price. A $680,000 asking price property may sell for $710,000 to $750,000. To avoid being seen as underquoting most agents will use 'offers above'.
In this kind of market it is not a good idea for the agent to put a high asking price and expect buyers to negotiate discounts, as the buyers expect it will sell for more than the asking price and be out of their price range. Eg if it is listed as $750,000 buyers will think it will cost them $800,000 and won't consider it.

But although it is often best to put 'offers above', many vendors worry a lower advertised price will lead to a lower sale, or be insulted at the concept of their beautiful house being advertised that way, so it is just listed as expressions of interest etc.

In a hot market, everything sells for above the asking price.

Not if an agent gets a bit excited and starts over pricing. An agent in my area did this and listed a bunch of properties way over market. Even though the market was super hot, they didn't sell. I noticed some of those properties got listed with other agents and some got taken off the market. Here's one that listed for $675,000, sold for $612,750 with a different agent. This is a development site in a hot area in a hot market!

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-cloverdale-114143907

That's what I meant, I chose my words poorly. What I meant was that people expect asking prices to be below the realistic selling price, so when an agent advertiss a high price, it puts buyers right off.

Back