Frankston North

I happily brought into Frankston North, back when it was still very much 'The Pines ' and the cheapest place to buy a house in the area.
Mine was fully renovated for under 100k. Whos laughing now, the house next door sold a few months ago for 275k asking price.
I've had the same tenant for 7yrs, and whilst he pays under the market rental for the area (it just keeps going up), he has had a few steady increases over the years.

I have recently put evap cooling into the house (had put in heating and bir's before renting it), and the rent will go up a bit more again before next summer.
When my tenant does finally leave, I will recarpet/paint and maybe redo the kitchen, new curtains and it will go onto the market at top $$$s. Currently he has two dogs and we have agreed, I wont update the curtains whilst the dogs are inside the house, but also wont charge him for them when he does leave. Currently looking for cheap second hand curtains to freshed the place up at a lessor cost.

Over all I'm rapt with my little house, block is big enough to subdivide and will be looking into that in the next year or two as well.

I'd also stay away from Sharron Morley in Hocking Stuart, in frankston

Ive now had 1 run in and another of a family friend who got told a complete lie,

naturally we expect agents to lie and bend the truth but this one even got to me

basically, enquiring about a property and to whether its subdividable,

got told yes it sure is,

fair enough, get it checked out by the council, and got told that there is a caveout (termininology?) and that flood levels need to be reviewed to see if it is and nobody has done one yet, so its not subdividable at this stage,

so I organise for a flood level check through melbourne water, and after about 2 weeks got told, that flood levels are too high and subdivision is not possible.

relay that back to her,

and this was her exact response "thats just stupid, that makes no sense, you don't know what you are talking about. a house just down the road is subdivided"
"rules may have changed since it was subdivided, and also that one might have been done illegally" thats what the council said
"oh ive checked with the council and they said it was all fine"
"so did I, there is no enquires on this property for the last 5 years, which council did you call"
"......"
" i suggest you stop deliberately misleading customers"

------------------------
2nd incident that happened to a good friend
"whats the current rental on this property"
"they just signed a lease for this property recently at $320 per week"
go to inspection, ask the tenant, and they are on month to month at $260 per week

I'm very bullish about Frankston North as we have an investment property there. However I can't see any properties going for $400,000 by the end of the year.

Firstly the link is a nice property for that area. Late last year a similar property on the same street went for over $300,000.

Secondly with interest rates rising and the sudden increase in value of properties in Melbourne over the last year, I don't see too much growth in property in the short term in Melbourne.

Frankston North still has huge potential, but I think investors there should be a little patient and not expect $400,000 properties by the end of the year. I hope I'm wrong though.

Just been looking at todays section in The Herald Sun on Melbourne's cheapest suburbs, places you can still buy a house under $350k

Melton
Werribee
Wyndham
Carrum Downs
Cranbourne
Sunbury
Roxbrough Park
Deer Park

The list goes on..........

With the exception to maybe Deer Park it makes Frankston Nth (location & infrastructure wise) look like a really good place to buy.
I'm really stoked, a ratbag family across from my place sold up last month, they had been in the House for over 20yrs. The previous owner of my place had been in the House for over 20yrs too. Seems alot of the long term trashbags seem to be moving on....

Looking into buying another at the moment maybe this time in Chelsea Heights or Tanti Park Mornington

The REIV median for Frankston North for the first quarter of 2010 is barely half that of the greater Melbourne area. The current Frankston North median is $270 000, with much more being paid for dual occ(STCA) situations where one can retain the front house and build up the back.

I don't know anything about Patterson College. If it's a private school, then it a harbinger for the gentrification of what was once a housing commission area.

The Median Price is actually $280k, just took a look at realestate.com.au and everything is priced at $300k and under contract. Give it another 18months and prices will be sitting at $400k

Patterson College was one of the options for Seaford/Frankston north kids as for High schools, its only a State school (not private). But several years ago Carrum Downs finally build a High school and most of the local kids go there, Karringul, or what I think is one of the best features of Frankston North , Monterey Secondary College (public), its only a small high school of under 500, whilst all the other highs are up to around 1500 students per school.

It was the school no one wanted to send their kids too, so they went off to karringal or Patterson college...then the carrum downs high opened and over the years, Monterey was able to clean itself up and off a pretty good ciriculum. Now all I hear is good things about it, from many of the same people who wouldn't dream of sending their child there 10 yrs ago.

my point about paterson river secondary college was that due to high demand the school has created a designated zone to draw students from this new zone now does not include frankston north.
Could be similar to the way frankston high has a designated zone.
i would think anyone wanting to move to the area may need to consider the new designated zone before buying if there kids want to go to patterson college or frankston high.

It seems a number of sub-$300k houses are under contract before they even hit realestate.com.au. A sign of affordability and the noise that Frankston South has been making (re: growth) perhaps.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-frankston+north-106513431

According to this ad Frankston North is top 5 hot spots in Victoria. I wonder who said that? If anyone knows who said that (besides the real estate agent, which I suspect it is), I'll be interested to see the article.

If someone said a year ago Frankston North would have properties sold for $300k in a year's time I would of said I hope your right, but you have rocks in your head.

I think the property market in the pines will slow down in the short term. However I have been amased by it's growth and I hope it continues. Maybe properties will be selling for 400k in less than 2 years time.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-frankston+north-106513431

According to this ad Frankston North is top 5 hot spots in Victoria. I wonder who said that? If anyone knows who said that (besides the real estate agent, which I suspect it is), I'll be interested to see the article.

If someone said a year ago Frankston North would have properties sold for $300k in a year's time I would of said I hope your right, but you have rocks in your head.

I think the property market in the pines will slow down in the short term. However I have been amased by it's growth and I hope it continues. Maybe properties will be selling for 400k in less than 2 years time.

I'm expecting gentrification.

What I'm shocked about is 78 Monteray Boulevard selling for $265k. I can only imagine what 16 Honeysuckle Street looked like to sell for $22k less. I walked into the 78 Monteray residence, went straight to the backyard because of the smell and then walked back out again.

I would just like to say I have not been impressed with my property manager and their organisation. Firstly, their advertising staff were tardy listing our 4 bedroom property on the various websites. Secondly, my expectation of rent per week was poo-pooed (my request was $300pw, pm was going to list for $270, I eventually met just over half way) when now there are several 3 bedroom properties at $300pw. Thirdly, we were led to believe the tenants had issues with the power on their first day and that they had demanded an aerial. We went to the property under the guise that the tenants were aware that we were coming. They weren't aware and they hadn't made any complaints about the power... also the tenants had requested if THEY could put an aerial in.

This property manager and her organisation was recommended by posters here on SS. They must have a very low level of expectation of service.

P.S. Excuse the rant, had to get it off my chest.

Back