Frankston North

I know there is a Frankston thread but I think Frankston North deserves it's own thread with all the great changes that are going on there.

I just purchased my first Property in Frankston North for $218k
It's a nice 4 bedroom house on a flat regular shaped 715sqm block. Double Garage! At first I was a bit nervous about moving into the place for 6 months so I could get the FHBG but after spending a week there I love it. This area seems to quickly be losing it's stigma. People are taking pride in their homes and there only seems to be 1 or 2 bad eggs in most streets. It's on the Northern Fringe. Across from the Seaford Hotel...... this really is a great place for First Home Buyers to Purchase. In my street the Neighbours are very friendly and you don't really see anyone

It's 1 km from Eastlink, 2.5km to Seaford Beach down Seaford Rd and we have Aldi, IGA, Pizza shops, Fish & Chip shop, Chemist, Dry Cleaner, McDonalds, Child care, Schools, Hairdressers, Doctors, Service Station all at the end of the Street. Regular bus service to Frankston & Dandenong down Frankston Dandenong Rd.....
St. Kilda Footy Club are moving in behind the Belvedere Shops 400m down the road and we are also getting a new Frankston Bypass soon around the back of here.
Been speaking with Council and they are very keen to do more improvements around the Northern Tip including streetscape works on Frankston Dandenong Rd and tree planting....
I'm hoping this momentum continues!!!
Anyone else have investment property here?

Purchased in FS, but haven't had the chance or confidence to venture 'north'.

Had a few trips to see my soccer team play Frankston Pines a few times over the past few years and did do some driving around and it reminded me a lot of Heidelberg West.

Maybe I can't see the vision.....yet.....

Thats cool, i'm just starting out and didn't want to go in over my head. One problem could be the quality of tennents but I do have a good feeling about the area and have done alot of research and looking around.

Thats cool, i'm just starting out and didn't want to go in over my head. One problem could be the quality of tennents but I do have a good feeling about the area and have done alot of research and looking around.

Bayside, from what you have seen, are properties being renovated / rebuilt / land being developed? Are streetscapes changing?

How about tenants? Are the demographics changing?

There is always so much made about the FHSZ, how about schools and transport (eg buses) in the area?

Congrats on the purchase BTW!

Well done! I don't think in the long term you could go wrong at that price point.

I did a drive-around a month ago looking to purchase, yet Frankston North is not for me. I actually breathed a sigh of relief when I got out of there.

10 in the morning and some clown was doing 'donuts' in a cloud of smoke at a roundabout. People were sitting drinking cans of beer, in cruddy old lounge chairs, on the nature strip on another street and beat-up old cars (usually Fords and Holdens) everywhere I looked.

On a more positive note, there were many well kept gardens around and one liitle street, which had million dollar views from their council owned houses.

Frankston North has just got to change over time, for it's in a great location.

Don't let my views put you off, you'll be laughing in time to come I'm sure.:)

I live in Seaford so I have a couple in Frankston North. I've noticed dramatic changes over the last 10yrs that I have been investing here. This area really is a winner, geographically it's in a better location than Frankston Heights, Karingal and some parts of Frankston South but it's just the old stigma from the 80's and 90's that scares some people off. Thanks god it seems to be on it's way out the door. You just need to take a drive down Excelsior Drive, Mitre Crescent or Bursaria Crescent and you will see Gentrification is in full swing. People are renovating there houses and taking pride in their gardens. A few are being sub-divided so look for something with a good size block. Council have done alot of works in this area and plan on spending $620,000 on upgrading the parks and gardens. Once the bypass goes in I can see even more demand

I grew up in Perth, and then moved to Sydney for a year then here to Melbourne.

I love Melbourne, so for anyone to badmouth it you will upset me :)

First thing I learnt about Melbourne was Frankston. Bad area. -or is it? Coming from Perth, I knew of many worse areas and as for Sydney, you can pay 4 times the price and still feel as unsafe as you might think Frankston is.

Having looked through the area many times, at properties and what is going on in the area (Frankston North inparticular) I think its a great place to buy.
It's in a fantastic location with plent of infrastructure. I'd much rather purchase here than say Hallam, Doveton, Cranbourne, Narre Warren etc

Seaford is also a great spot, supposedly has a bad name, but when you drive through the area, talk to the locals and actually see what is happening in the area (developments, renovations etc) then you start to wonder why people say things are bad. Whilst they may have been 5, 10 or 20 years ago they arent now.

Eastlink, is going to make everything from Chelsea to Mornington double in value in the next 5 years. This road project is the biggest in Australia at the moment and is going to do great things for the area. Having seen the effects of similar projects in WA, coastal properties in Melbourne are about to become quite scarce whereas once they were just a bunch of old run down, undesirable beach shacks.

Take a look. Whilst I say all of this, I admit I own property in Bonbeach, and have just bought one in Seaford but at least im putting my money where my mouth is.

Go to WA with 235k (Price of the Frankston North Property) and see what you can get over there the same distance from the city (35km) and same distance from the beach 2-3km Any Perth coastal agent would laugh at you and ask you if that was just your deposit.

As for bad areas, things arent always what they seem. Areas change, some peoples opions of areas can take time but that doesnt stop the growth.

Bayside, from what you have seen, are properties being renovated / rebuilt / land being developed? Are streetscapes changing?

How about tenants? Are the demographics changing?

There is always so much made about the FHSZ, how about schools and transport (eg buses) in the area?

Congrats on the purchase BTW!

Yes, the streetscape is definietly changing. Make sure you take a look at all the property North of Excelsior Drive as this is my little hotspot. I've noticed a few subdivides one in my street. People building deckings putting in nice gardens. Council tree plantings. Graffitti being removed... park upgrades.
There are alot of primary schools around this area. New bus service running down Frankston Dandenong Rd to both Frankston & Dandenong

The Property Professor's Top Australian Suburbs
By Peter Koulizos
RRP $34.95
Available in all bookstores

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=660596

Peter has suggested buying undervalued suburbs close to the beach and city. In his broadcast he only mentions Frankston, Seaford and Carrum and lists others (top 20) Melbourne suburbs that he expects will boom in the next few years.

Thought this may be of interest.

Toni

Last edited:
Cool, I think everything from Frankston down to the city will eventually be hot property. If you want to live and work in metro Melbourne but like the beachside lifestyle then you only really have good beaches with a trainline in the south east Port Melbourne - Frankston. Everything around the west side of the bay is swampland.

I've talked with a couple of different people online who have lived in Frankston North and now live in Carrum Downs. Most of them have told me they would prefer to live in Frankston North again because of all the crime and boredom in Carrum Downs.

Hi Bayside,

I have to say Im a bit of a Frankston snob and will generally only go south. Although north is definitely cheaper, there are the obvious issues with north (even though it has some close proximity to water). I think we invest on different principles though.

There is a definite trend of change which may shift Franga north into the next Seaford, but Im not sure how long that time frame could be.

For me, I try to get as close to the hill as possible. Lets see what the new freeway does though, could be very interesting.

I've talked with a couple of different people online who have lived in Frankston North and now live in Carrum Downs. Most of them have told me they would prefer to live in Frankston North again because of all the crime and boredom in Carrum Downs.

Not having lived in Frankston North, cant comment on crime rate there, but currently living in Carrum Downs i dont see much or hear of much around the traps, quite "boring" really :)

Now of those "couple" different online people is "most" both of them? :)

Cheers,
Nathan

I moved into Frankston North a couple of weeks ago so I could get the FHBG and to be honest I was a little nervous about living there after all the stories i'd heard. I'm very supprised and happy to say the area isn't anywhere near as bad as I was told. I grew up in Mordialloc and then lived in St.Kilda, Fitzroy & Northcote so i've been around. You get a couple of undesirables walking around the streets and a few car hoons but most people are good folk who keep quiet and look after there houses and gardens. I'm noticing alot of renovation work going on around the area too. One house in my street has just been battleaxed sub-divided with a new home at the back. Times really are changing around here

Back