Freestanding bath installed like a built-in bath?

We are splitting our shower over bath into separate shower and bath. I've bought a stone/resin bath with very square sides which can sit on its own or could be pushed into a corner.

Our current bath is resting on a hob on a bed of cement, but this new bath is a solid rectangle and could sit straight on the floor with nothing touching it, or could be placed against a wall or in a corner. Once placed, it is unlikely to move (very heavy) and I wonder if we could get the plumbing roughed in, have the room waterproofed and then simply sit the bath in and tile down to it and tile the floor to the bath edge (treating the bath edge like a tiled hob wall, tiling to it and making the join waterproof with silicone)... or if we would need to tile the full wall and floor and then sit the bath on the tiles but still silicone seal between the bath edge and the tiles because we will not be able to ever get behind the bath once it is placed in a corner.

The plan is to treat it like a built in bath, but I'm wondering if we are better to buy a different bath and build it into a hob.

We bought this bath at such a good price, that I could sell it again without losing anything, so I'm happy to do what is best.

The bathroom sits over an open garage so any leaks would be easily seen from below.

Read more: http://www.renovateforum.com/f205/stand-alone-bath-used-built-bath-advisable-104850/#ixzz1xSGh6cqj

We did a similar thing, i removed the built in bath, bought a freestanding one and got the plumber in to set up the plumbing (Taps & drain), then i removed the bath waterproofed the floor and walls, the tiler came in and laided down his tile bed and tiled the bathroom completely and i re-installed the bath.

That way the bathroom was completely tiles and waterproof and if we ever changed the bathroom again we could change the design of our bath and not worry about not having tiles under the old bath. The tiler also liked it as he had a empty room and less cuts to make.

We can now change from a square freestanding to a round freestanding or even go back to a built in bath. (not likely but) i do feel better knowing it is completely tiled and waterproofed

Back