Freestanding or inset bath?

In the process of renovating. Trying to work out if I should go a freestanding or inset bath.. I'm unsure if the space available is a little too small and may look cramped?

Distance between the 900x900 shower and wall will be approx 1800mm therefor planning on dropping a 1500mm freestanding bath in.

Anyone have any pros/cons for freestanding baths?

The home will be PPOR for possibly 12-24 months then back to a rental (if that changes opinions on certain bathroom items)

image.jpg

Freestanding is more expensive. What type of area is it?

A cheapie inbuilt is about $200, freestanding start over $1k. The tiler said its the same price to tile a freestanding since they dont have to brick it in. Its more elegant but remember it takes up more space since it does not look good butting up against any walls. They usually push them back 5-10cm from the walls so it stands out. Its also a pain to clean behind it.

A cheapie inbuilt is about $200, freestanding start over $1k. The tiler said its the same price to tile a freestanding since they dont have to brick it in. Its more elegant but remember it takes up more space since it does not look good wedged between a wall. They usually push them back 5-10cm from the walls so it stands out. Its also a pain to clean behind it.

And the winner is........INSET

A cheapie inbuilt is about $200, freestanding start over $1k. The tiler said its the same price to tile a freestanding since they dont have to brick it in. Its more elegant but remember it takes up more space since it does not look good butting up against any walls. They usually push them back 5-10cm from the walls so it stands out. Its also a pain to clean behind it.

The tapware can also be expensive too as you rise it from the ground or extra length from the wall.

I'm having a freestanding in my PPOR but it's going to be my PPOR forever

Plenty of freestanding (acrylic) available for around $600-$700..

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111575214302

I prefer the look of the freestanding and was planning on setting it out from the wall by around 15-20mm otherwise its a bit of a waste.

Also just running a standard style mixer and tap from the wall. not a fan of the wanky floor mount extended taps..

House is in Scoresby, Melb so by no means high end suburb although seems to be on the up with Wantirna South next door.

So far no ones convinced me against the freestanding :D

If you don;t have the space for it in the bathroom it will look very odd. Works better with a spacious bathroom.

according to the 3D sketches above do you think it looks too cramped? Will post a floor plan with dimension's tomorrow to get people opinions.. I think it will be ok.. but I haven't done 3 year uni degree in interior design so stand to be corrected!

according to the 3D sketches above do you think it looks too cramped? Will post a floor plan with dimension's tomorrow to get people opinions.. I think it will be ok.. but I haven't done 3 year uni degree in interior design so stand to be corrected!

I think I'd rather a 1200 x 900 shower if you can wriggle anything around. 900 x 900 is really small and I know it was the standard but not I'm seeing larger showers as more common.

Is this the only bathroom in the house?

I would go freestanding. I have two inset baths in current house and the grout work gets dirty on the bath inset surrounds even though regularly cleaned.
In my new house I am going freestanding and enough space from the wall to mop around the floor tiles. I see it as less cleaning. I also won't get a massive floor tap spout, will just have the one coming from the wall, again less cleaning...

I think I'd rather a 1200 x 900 shower if you can wriggle anything around. 900 x 900 is really small and I know it was the standard but not I'm seeing larger showers as more common.

Is this the only bathroom in the house?

This is the main bathroom. There is also an en-suite off the master.

If I was to use a 1200 x 900 shower it wouldn't allow me enough space to fit a bath in that particular layout.

En-suite will have a 1200 x 900 shower.

This is the main bathroom. There is also an en-suite off the master.

If I was to use a 1200 x 900 shower it wouldn't allow me enough space to fit a bath in that particular layout.

En-suite will have a 1200 x 900 shower.

ok if that shower is for kids then it's a fine size. I think you have JUST enough room for the freestanding bath.

I think you really want us to say yes, so YES!

Why is it irrelevant?

Irrelevant for me as I won't be cleaning.. haha

that was a JOKE. But seriously, how hard can it be to run a mop or vac around a freestanding bath. I agree with 'baby blue eyes' and think it will be easier than standard bath to keep clean.

Thanks all. I think ill give the freestanding a shot.

how hard can it be to run a mop or vac around a freestanding bath. I agree with 'baby blue eyes' and think it will be easier than standard bath to keep clean.

Depends if there is room to "easily" run a mop around the bath - which means clearance of at least 10-15cm all around.

... says the woman who has to clean a stepped up inbuilt bath with a wide ledge all around ... nearly have to stand on my head to get down into it to clean! :rolleyes: ... hubby thought it was a great idea until he had to clean it once - now he hates it

Ah bathroom planning is fun! Just been through 2 of these recently and ended up putting both an inset and a freestanding so here's my 2c worth:

1. Go with what you want ideally if you have the room. As long as you can set it 120mm as min from the wall (allow 10mm for tiles) you'll be fine to clean around it. Mine is easy and takes a quick swipe of the Enjo mop :)

2. Make sure whichever bath you choose you sit it in and try it out. 1500mm is fine for most people but make sure it's comfy.

3. Also remember that if you drink and read in the bath (as I do) somewhere to put these items (and the bell to summon the butler LOL) with a freestanding bath is essential.

4. I'm not a fan of the more expensive floor taps. We did a central wall mounted mixer and it looks classy (see my last post with pics) and cost far less.

5. Acrylic vs enamel. In the end, we went high quality acrylic for the freestanding and enamel for the inset. Both look great and clean well. If I had a bigger budget I would have gone for the enamel f/s but couldn't justify the $4K price tag!

6. As long as there is sufficient room I think f/s tubs add more value and wow factor to bathrooms. They do impart a feeling of luxury and higher-end in my opinion.

If you check out my thread about our bathroom reno or check out my gallery you can see how we did a stone freestanding bath. I love it and our room doesnt look much different in size to your 3D sketches. Our shower is 900 x 1200 with sliding door. Cleaning the bath is easier than it used to be when we had a shower over acrylic bath. I think I have mopped behind the bath twice in a year. I don't see the dust. To be honest, it doesn't really get dusty either.

Back