Frequently Asked Questions

If we have time why dont we create a FAQ area/discussion group with some Answers to common questions. Then when someone asks we can point them to the FAQ group and the topic in particular.

eg.
  • PPOR to IP Convert
  • Top Books on IP
  • Trust basics
  • Transfer assets to spouse, children, trust etc.
  • Land Tax
  • Finance basics
  • Web links/resources (Residex, realestate.com etc)
  • Which Accountant
  • Guru's and Frauds
  • Tools such Spreadsheets, PAI
  • Cashflow positive vs. negative gearing debate.
  • Flipping Defined...a little how to
  • Wrapping Defined...with a little how to
  • Top 6 ways to boost returns
  • Top 6 tips to get good tenants
  • Top 6 tips to find a good property manager
  • Top 6 tips to negotiate the best price
  • Top 6 tips to find a good property accountant.

I would be happy to "own" some of these topics.

Great idea!!!

Codify some of the wisdom of the forum...currently it's getting harder to find specific information due to the volume of posts.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Sim, is it possble to enable "group" editing of posts, for example I can edit my posts, but I cannot edit Acey's (for good reasons). What I am suggesting is could we set up a role called "FAQ editors" and a number users could be allowed to edit any FAQ?

A better approach would be to just assign a moderator to look after the FAQs.

We are currently in the process of reviewing our moderator roles, and your comments and suggestions will be taken into consideration.

Its a lot of work for that moderator isnt it? lets be inclusive rather than exclusive.

OK my suggestion is:

• A FAQ Sub Forum be created.
  • A larger set of FAQ moderators be assigned to be able to edit the FAQ. Lets say members over 6 months and more than 100 postings.
  • All others be give posting/reply rights as we have now for normal forums.

I reckon with the volumes, having more people able to do it is better.

Another idea is to get the current moderators to copy various posts to the FAQ forum as it comes up.

That way, you won't get people duplicating each other.

Jas

What I was trying to get across is that it is never going to work with lots of people trying to manage the FAQs (too many cooks and all that).

What it requires is many people to CONTRIBUTE to the FAQs and one or two moderators to manage them and ensure they are kept accurate and in some sort of sane order.

I agree, but having just one moderator is going to be too hard on them - mike has been unable to keep with the great posts thing.

So, having a few would be better.

Jas

Agree - we try and have several moderators looking after each forum area (still working on that).

Mike's problem is that he has taken on a HUGE task - given the volume of new posts and the size of the archives, it's pretty well impossible to keep track of it all in your spare time. That's not to say Mike won't try and give it a pretty good go :D

Not impinging on mike at all - it is a HUGE task he's set.

Reckon you could do an attachment thing like you've done a photo thing BTW.

Jas

Reckon we could do lots of things - but each thing we do makes it more difficult to upgrade the forum - especially when v3 comes out... for example with the photo gallery now we will need to wait until there is an upgrade that supports vBulletin v3 before we can upgrade the forum.

But please keep suggesting - we will get to it eventually.

PS. the attachment thing is high on the to-do list for exactly the same reason I spent all that time moving the photos out of the forum database and into the photo gallery - has a huge impact of the size of the database backups.

But as we have the photo gallery, having another in the same template whould couse no further worries.

Also, the FAQ could be just another forum, one locked to all bar the moderators.

So as Dale says, no wuckers (not sure how he spells it thou).

Jas

Here is my idea for a FAQ template.

PHP:
[B][color=blue]Question Text[/color][/B]

[B] Information [/B]
bla bla bla, facts, opinions, misconceptions, history, future, 

[B] Related Forum Threads [/B]
[list=a]
[*] Thread 1
[*] Thread 2
[/list]

[B] External Links, Books and Resources [/B]

[list=a]
[*] Link1
[*] Link 2
[*] Book 1
[*] Book 2
[*] Contacts 
[/list]

It looks like this

--------------

Question Text

Information
bla bla bla, facts, opinions, misconceptions, history, future,

Related Forum Threads
  • Thread 1
  • Thread 2

External Links, Books and Resources

• Link1
  • Link 2
  • Book 1
  • Book 2
  • Contacts

As I wrote before there are two issues

• FAQ documents need to be alive, easy to find and a number of people can edit them. For example lets say I maintain the Land-tax FAQ, but then I decide that worm farming is more profitable...who will take over? If many people are encorraged to maintain the FAQ as a group effort, then me leaving the forum wouldn't be noticed.
  • FAQ documents must thus be editiable for a long time currently there is a 2880 minute limit on changing a posting...this needs to be extended to unlimited for FAQ's.

not sure on this format. means people have to leave the FAQ and then they won't be able to find their way back...

...Unless we make the links open in a new window.

Much better.

Jas

Links inside a post always open a new window when you click on them - not a problem there.

Back