friends property vacant for months i wish i could help them.

can anyone help me understand my friend. Has anyone else seen this in smart people around them.

I feel so helpless that i cant help my friend.
I dont understand even why he is like he is.

He is way smarter and handier than most people, yet cant seem to make important things happen.

he is in the most fortunate position of owning an investment property,
yet its been vacant for 5 months for no real reason.

If it was me i'd get a painter and someone to change a blind and carpets done within a week or two fast and rent it fast and have that income of some 400 a week coming in each week.

But they cant seem to get their act together to do that.

I dont know if they are so fixated on using a particular painter who stuffed them around
or if they are anxious depressed dont prioritise
or if this is their passive aggressive way at getting back at a controlling relative who keeps nagging them to get it done already.

I noticed them do the same with their tax return. They would go out to any invitation, any distraction, wasting time week after week, while saying they need to get it done, instead of staying home and doing it. They'd leave it till they were more and more under pressure. Again it seemed like some passive agressive way of getting back at a controlling relative who would remind them to get it done.

They would never hand over their keys and let some caring friend do it for them,
and they'd be too perfectionistic/controlling about every detail and find things to fight about probably if someone did want to help.

I wish i could help them but i cant. Meanwhile they are in a terrible and unstable job and this extra income, say some 400 a week would help them, hey, it would help anyone.

5 months worth would be some $9000

I cant understand why someone so smart, and so lucky to have achieved an investment property, cant set priorities to within 2 weeks get it painted, carpeted, blind changed and rented.

does anyone else know people like this ?

it doesnt sound like they are so smart....

To be honest, I would stay well clear of the situation. It sounds like there is stuff going on in the background (mental health issues perhaps), and trying to help may well just exacerbate the situation. Sometimes people need to find the way through themselves.

Sounds like he doesn't care if it's rented or not.

I know someone that bought a house nearly 20 years ago and it sits vacant -a bit of a spruce up and it could rent for around $550. This guy would know that but doesn't seem to care.

He has another home he lives and a well paying job, but no other properties that I know off.

Your best bet is to concentrate on your own finances rather than someone elses that you have NO control over. If he really needs it rented out because he's lost his job he'll do it - it's not rocket science.

can anyone help me understand my friend. Has anyone else seen this in smart people around them.

I feel so helpless that i cant help my friend.
I dont understand even why he is like he is.

He is way smarter and handier than most people, yet cant seem to make important things happen.

he is in the most fortunate position of owning an investment property,
yet its been vacant for 5 months for no real reason.

If it was me i'd get a painter and someone to change a blind and carpets done within a week or two fast and rent it fast and have that income of some 400 a week coming in each week.

But they cant seem to get their act together to do that.

I dont know if they are so fixated on using a particular painter who stuffed them around
or if they are anxious depressed dont prioritise
or if this is their passive aggressive way at getting back at a controlling relative who keeps nagging them to get it done already.

I noticed them do the same with their tax return. They would go out to any invitation, any distraction, wasting time week after week, while saying they need to get it done, instead of staying home and doing it. They'd leave it till they were more and more under pressure. Again it seemed like some passive agressive way of getting back at a controlling relative who would remind them to get it done.

They would never hand over their keys and let some caring friend do it for them,
and they'd be too perfectionistic/controlling about every detail and find things to fight about probably if someone did want to help.

I wish i could help them but i cant. Meanwhile they are in a terrible and unstable job and this extra income, say some 400 a week would help them, hey, it would help anyone.

5 months worth would be some $9000

I cant understand why someone so smart, and so lucky to have achieved an investment property, cant set priorities to within 2 weeks get it painted, carpeted, blind changed and rented.

does anyone else know people like this ?

From what you're saying, he's obviously not as smart as what you think.

Also, being "intelligent" doesn't mean you're "smart". I know some intelligent mathematicians but they are not smart (ie savvy).

gail from what you have described there seems little evidence of the person being smart or handy??
plus, simply because someone has a potential invest property, does not make them smart etc. some just inherit the property for example.

its their decision. could be many reasons why someone would leave a property empty.

it may seem a waste to you but its their decision. you could ask them for their rationale.

some people are serious procrastinators, then become martyrs when they are victims of "society" or "the system" - when they're really just suffeering from their own shortcomings.

a have a friend who sounds almost identical.

Unfortunately you cannot live their life for them. There are reasons they are the way they are - I know a couple who play off each other as to who is the bigger "victim", whether it be when they both have a cold or simply doing the housework ... hence, nothing gets ever done because they are too busy "woe is me" at each other.

Other people just can't make a decision to save themselves. A very close friend - who is the nicest person - tells me things like, she wants to get the trees in her yard removed because they are half dead and goddamn awful ... so I give her the phone number and name of an aborist and tree remover that I use, and tell her what form at council she'll need to fill out, what it costs etc. Needless to say - 6months later - the trees are still there.

The same person wants to invest in real estate - she spends days every week pouring over potential properties ... in the 12 months that I've bought 2, plus put in several other offers, she hasn't made a single offer.

You can lead a horse to water - but you can't make it drink. Don't waste your energy - give them the advice they need and then let it go. They will weigh that advice and then take their own path.

There is nothing you can do - except perhaps offer to buy it off them cheap ... :D

Back