Frustration with searches on RE.com and Domain

I assume it is not some bug in my computer, so is everyone getting frustrated with using RE.com and Domain.

Domain is the worst, filtering is almost inoperative - especially on price, keyword search is a joke. Alerts spits all prices at you. Painful!

RE.com is a bit more accurate, although a search this morning brought up prices outside my search (and I am not referring to the usual ones that seem to appear due to the way the agent may have listed it, or paid more for it to appear on all searches).

RE.com is less frustrating to use - unless trying to search by region which is no longer a menu option (but will accept if you type in a region which you know it does recognise). RE.com is as slow as a wet week, too many adds and graphics to slow down its operation (sometimes I disable the "Flash add on" which makes a big difference if you have several pages open.

Both have features which the other doesn't so by using both you can usually find out what you need to know.

It is useless contacting either site, they either don't reply or ask for an example of the problem and then give some lame excuse ....with no rectification.

How do you get them to fix their sites - assuming they want us to use them.

I know! It's so frustrating. I think I had a whinge on here a few years back when RE.com changed their page and you couldn't search by region anymore. At least now they have that map function that updates results when you move the map or zoom out. But then the annoying thing is when you click on a house icon and the map moves in order to show you the pop-up and then the whole page slows down while it updates the search area on the map. Grrr.

And the price thing at Domain is ridiculous. Completely useless. It would be one thing if they asked you for an approximate price and then presented you with listings either side of that price. But why have a $from-$to function if you're going to include results from outside that parameter? Bah!

I used to really enjoy scanning through both sites, with a nice cup of tea and a biscuit, as a thing to do in my spare time, while keeping up to speed with prices around the country, or exploring towns I'd never heard of. But now it's just become such a pain, I rarely do it unless I actually have to look for something. :(

It's probably designed to keep investors away and make housing more affordable...:cool:

Yes the search functions have deterioated somewhat....I use saved searches alot for my various markets and it delivers any new listings via email...never miss a thing and saves having to go there and manually search. It does keep to the price brackets too.

And I never "include surrounding suburbs".

Yes it's free and used through Mozilla Firefox as my web browser.

You can adjust the filters of what is blocked and also add more ads than what are automatically eliminated if needed.

The increased loading speed of re.com is the main reason I downloaded it.

Cheers

Rooster

And the price thing at Domain is ridiculous. Completely useless. It would be one thing if they asked you for an approximate price and then presented you with listings either side of that price. But why have a $from-$to function if you're going to include results from outside that parameter? Bah!
(

as for the price thing i think it's the agents fault and not the website. they probably put one figure in the field that creates the data base and another in the headline or copy of the ad.

around a year ago i found firefox was having a lot of trouble with loading re.com pages. switched to google chrome and never looked back.

as for the price thing i think it's the agents fault and not the website. they probably put one figure in the field that creates the data base and another in the headline or copy of the ad.
That happens on re.com.au a lot and it IS the agents.

I occasionally go through a bunch of stuff sorted by price, and the POA stuff slots into the exact spot it should be and gives the expected price away. One house that always comes up in my searches with POA (been for sale for almost 4 years) has gradually drifted up from the $45k spot to $65k now. In 6 months I'll look and it'll be in the $70k bracket.

And then when I get silly and look at the 50-100k range all these 500k houses in Adelaide (usually from one agent, if not one estate) pop in. And blocks of land. Why can't the agents tag land as land and houses as houses and put accurate prices on? A 500k slab of dirt is NOT a 50k house and people looking for one certainly don't want to see your listing for the other.

When I was looking to buy, domain and realestate bugged the hell out of me, particularly the inability to search by price. I ended up using homehound a lot more - easier site to use, but unfortunately it doesn't have as many listings as the other two, so it ended up being a combined effort!

Another bug which I had forgot to mention was with looking at the photos of a property on Domain. Sometimes I can move from one photo to the next when I open up the photo window, other times the "next" does not work and I have to click on a photo, then close and reopen the series of photos to get it to work. As there is inconsistency within one session on the site, rather than different sessions, I doubt if it is anything within my computer system.

By the way, Roosters tip on using Adblock to prevent unwanted drain on the OS is a ripper - like shifting up into overdrive and just cruising without effort.

Last edited:
RE.com won't let you search by number of bedrooms, only by numbers of bedrooms+, which is annoying when you specifically want to look for 2bdrm places & not every damn place that has at least 2brms :mad:

RE.com won't let you search by number of bedrooms, only by numbers of bedrooms+, which is annoying when you specifically want to look for 2bdrm places & not every damn place that has at least 2brms :mad:

How would everyone feel about more personalization in the actual listings?

iPostcodes.com.au is trying to create a property listing site where the owners and the agents work together to publish a property listing. Rather than having a cookie cutter style listing site - the features of the property are listed with more personal insights that help make that property more appealing.

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this concept?

They say:
No one knows like you do
No need to sit on the sidelines anymore! You know more about your property than anyone else. Tell potential buyers all things that make your property a great place to live

They even have this short clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE8QA0syEXU&feature=player_embedded

Actually you should use RE.com's iphone app - it is far superior to the web browser version esp when you are searching by region/area in a particular suburb.

One thing that drives me crazy about the web age.It seems to have become mentality that "everything " , must be updated, must be bettered, changed, fiddled with, fixed , even if it's not broken.
There was a thread here when they first changed the sites, lot of people very p'd off. I still am, they bloody ruined them.

I eventually had my searches set in stone on both RE and Domain . It was unreal, took me mths to get it right but in the end all I had to do was one click on each for VIC wide and exactly what I was interested in came up first and second pages on both.
Ha , forget that one now , the same thing involves about 10 different combo's on both and they have to be changed all the time too , it's absolutely BS .
And Domains bloody street view bs , what a load of garbage. I mean can't that at least wait to a second click until you first see if your even interested in the damn property first :( Slows it down no end .

Can't stand either of them now but unfortunately they still seem by far the biggest so I'm stuck with them.

Cheers

One thing that drives me crazy about the web age.It seems to have become mentality that "everything " , must be updated, must be bettered, changed, fiddled with, fixed , even if it's not broken.
There was a thread here when they first changed the sites, lot of people very p'd off. I still am, they bloody ruined them.

And Domains bloody street view bs , what a load of garbage. I mean can't that at least wait to a second click until you first see if your even interested in the damn property first :( Slows it down no end .

Can't stand either of them now but unfortunately they still seem by far the biggest so I'm stuck with them.

Cheers

Spot on with the big change a year or so ago. It was basic but did what I wanted without the flashing lights and balloons. They must think that people what something pretty instead of affective. I think the changes were aimed at home owners rather than investors who will have a different search criteria.

Not sure what Random is referring to in street view on Domain, still have to click on the tab to generate street view?

Does anyone else have problems viewing photos in Domain sometimes - have to open a photo and close before able to click through the set of photos?

Spot on with the big change a year or so ago. It was basic but did what I wanted without the flashing lights and balloons. They must think that people what something pretty instead of affective. I think the changes were aimed at home owners rather than investors who will have a different search criteria.

Not sure what Random is referring to in street view on Domain, still have to click on the tab to generate street view?

Does anyone else have problems viewing photos in Domain sometimes - have to open a photo and close before able to click through the set of photos?

The Google area map crap at bottom . It was slowing my stuff down no end, does seem quicker now I must admit . Still reckon it's over kill though , unless you actually want it later.
Imo Domain was a better site than RE , can't stand it anymore now though and don't bother for many reasons.

Cheers

Back