Funniest maintenance requst

Lol! This is like the Darwin awards for tenants! Well, nearly....

So this is what I have to look forward to with our fledgling portfolio....

These are pretty good. Sounds like some of these tenants have mental illnesses. The others are just...well when you can't say something nice...

I can't think of anything stupid that my tenants have requested, but I've had a few things that they should have requested but I only discovered for myself when I inspected the property.

#1: Toilet backing up
#2: Hot water pipe to the washing machine leaking a lot of water for three weeks.

These are USA ones

#Treated pine posts on a deck have cracks could you please fix it.
#Fridge had dust on it when we moved in. (bloody lucky they were supplied a 2 door 1 year old fridge with ice maker)
#Complained toilets were running then wouldn't let the plumber in to attend. This is after plumber arranged to visit by phone.
#cracks in the driveway and oil stains. This is a 20 year old house.

Have now changed PM and hopefully he will sort them out.

Our tenant got a plumber out to show them how to use the exhaust fan.
Then expected us to pay the $90 bill.

Same same but with the oven. 'Oven would not work - electrician sent out'.

It's got two dials, apparantly you need to turn the timer on first before you can turn on the oven. Guessing it's a safety feature so you don't leave the oven on for days. Was asked to pay because I didn't supply the manual...

Same same but with the oven. 'Oven would not work - electrician sent out'.

It's got two dials, apparantly you need to turn the timer on first before you can turn on the oven. Guessing it's a safety feature so you don't leave the oven on for days. Was asked to pay because I didn't supply the manual...

Did you pay up?

Nope. It was a bit argy bargy especially with my pro-tenant PM. I spoke to the electrician himself and even he said 'the tenant should have known this, if it were me I wouldn't pay for it'.

A few weeks/months later there was a $$$ 'water leak' request, which took months and thousands of dollars... it hurt me about $2k... can't help but think this was some kind of 'revenge', but in return the tenant had tradespeople entering the house back and forth for months to identify it, fix it, then fix the plaster, carpet so if it was out of spite the tenant would have lost out here too in terms of inconvenice.

I think it took that experience now the maintence requests have been a bit more legit now.

Been pretty smooth sailing since.

I had tenants request that we "do something" about the gaps between the floorboards. Apparently not aware that wood expands/contracts with changes in humidity.

Back