Furnishing your IPs

Does anyone do this?

Its something ive thought about in the past, and now that i have the itch again, its something id like to possibly try. Went for an open this afternoon in a blue-chipper where average return were $280 for 2 bedroom unit worth around $260-280 (in ok, but worn condition). The unit i looked at had probably $3000 of furnishings in there, and was fetching $340 a week because of this. If given a quite reno, possibly $360ish.

I know with it comes the possibility of added headaches, but does anyone here actively follow this method to increase their yields?

depends on the market you are targetting. Some tenants would see it as an incovenience (ie not consider your property) as they have their own furnishings. Others (travellers etc) would see it as a real benefit.

It depends on the area and whether furnished properties are in demand. Is there a transient workforce? I know in Canberra there's quite a few contractors from Sydney who do the 9 to 5, Monday to Friday in Canberra and then head back home on the w/end. Furnished properties for this market works well.

Maybe have a chat with some local PMs and ask their opinion.

Cheers

Jamie

Back