Garage to granny flat conversion, side setback

Also, curious to know views on asset devaluation (or perceived negative) from converting a garage to granny flat...in effect resulting in a non-garage house. I ask the question mainly in relation to suburbs where garages are a mandatory feature of a typical house.

Which is worse - eradicating the backyard, or the garage? Am faced with this dilemma at present.

Also, curious to know views on asset devaluation (or perceived negative) from converting a garage to granny flat...in effect resulting in a non-garage house.
Originally, you may have had 4,2,2 (brm, bath, car). After the garage conversion to a GFlat, you may have a 6,3,0. You just need to run comparable sales for the new configuration.

Originally, you may have had 4,2,2 (brm, bath, car). After the garage conversion to a GFlat, you may have a 6,3,0. You just need to run comparable sales for the new configuration.

Nothing comparable like this Propertunity..more like 6, 3, 3! Suburb is in Campbelltown area (brick veneer house) and without exception, ALL brick houses in the suburb have a SLUG, DLUG or at least a carport.

Expectations for a garage are a staple here I guess to keep cars safe etc unlike say, the Inner West where a garage is a luxury.

Nothing comparable like this Propertunity..more like 6, 3, 3! Suburb is in Campbelltown area (brick veneer house) and without exception, ALL brick houses in the suburb have a SLUG, DLUG or at least a carport.

I understand what you're saying HG. valuations are not an exact science as you know. You might have to do comparables for a 6,3,3 and then take off whatever is put as a value on a DLUG. (kind of a mixture of the comparable sales method and the summation method of valuing).

cost of conversion v new build

So what if your slab is not complying with class 1a structure, how would you convert it without having to rip it up?

So what if your slab is not complying with class 1a structure, how would you convert it without having to rip it up?

Excellent question^^
Im just having a HELL of a time digesting that you could bulld just a plain shed, NOT complying with the SEPP's setbacks or other rules at all then just convert it to a granny flat. Extraordinary!

Excellent question^^
Im just having a HELL of a time digesting that you could bulld just a plain shed, NOT complying with the SEPP's setbacks or other rules at all then just convert it to a granny flat. Extraordinary!

For people with existing sheds on their property, I think it falls into the category of "It's a beautiful thing!" ;):p

For people with existing sheds on their property, I think it falls into the category of "It's a beautiful thing!" ;):p

Yeap!
How will a Certifier determine that:
1. The slab complies with the relevantr Australian Stds for residential slabs? Class10 (shed/garage) slabs do not comply
2. Minumum insulation and water-proofing is utilised etc...
3. BASIX is met??

Im amazed honestly. If this is true I might as well just start advertising sheds-->granny flats conversions.com.au haha!

shedstogrannyflats.com.au
chickencoupstogrannyflats.com.au

Back