Garden Waste

All,
I am cutting down a lot of bushes & branches around my house. I have been putting this waste in the green bins every alternate week. However, it will take months with my cleanup if I get rid of waste at this rate.

Any smart ideas on how i can do this in the least amount of dollars

Ring your council(s). Some of them (at least in SA) have free green waste dumps at certain times. You may need to prove you live in the area, or have a buddy tag along who does.

All,
I am cutting down a lot of bushes & branches around my house. I have been putting this waste in the green bins every alternate week. However, it will take months with my cleanup if I get rid of waste at this rate.

buy a small shredder / mulsher I never throw green wast away
I mulsh and throw it on the garden It helps with weed control , worm production and I do not buy fertalizer.
Also you could get a worm farm they eat a lot of green wast
Mulsh heap 1m x 1m square and throw all your food scraps on as well as lawn clippings.
I bury all my scraps in my vegie garden and throw mulsh from all the shrubs i trim on top to keep the weeds down

How much wast are you talking about?

All,

Your council doesn't pickup green waste from the kerb so it is either the tip or a mulcher.
A mulcher will reduce the waste to a workable size and you could also use the mulch for your garden

how big a branch you talking
mine about 1 1/2 to 2 inch electric motor
a bit of a pain to use slow and steady but have no need for anything bigger

wood must not be to hard
soft wood ideal

Scan your street for well manicured gardens and see if anyone would like your bushes and branches for mulch :) Also check in with your neighbours, you may find someone has one you could lend :)

way faster to hire/borrow a trailer and take it all to the waste centre.

It takes the best part of a day to mulch a complete packed down trailerfull of greenery. Been there, done that, not again!

Back