Garlic harvest is on!

To say we're a tad excited is an huge understatement.

This is our first commercial harvest so a super thanks guys for your support and ideas along the way ... :D

Attachments

• WP_20141105_013.jpg
    WP_20141105_013.jpg
    601 KB · Views: 168
  • WP_20141105_024.jpg
    WP_20141105_024.jpg
    605.2 KB · Views: 143
Lizzie, what is involved in smoking garlic? Somebody gave me some smoked garlic the other day that they bought at a market. It was great. Not sure what they paid for it. I wouldn't go too far out of my way to buy ordinary garlic, but I would for that smoked stuff.

Hahaha - the dog is our very mixed breed - border collie, kelpie, golden retriever and something else - rescue pet "Spot" of Spotty Dog fame (range of products).

We have to dry the garlic before it can be couriered, so the online shop won't be open for another 3 weeks ... but I'll certainly let you know when it's all happening.

We're in the processes of purchasing a cold smoker and looking at experimenting with some smoked garlic - rosemary - vineyard leaves - maybe basil ... open for taste suggestions if you've tried something sensational :D You have to cold smoke garlic if you want it to keep - hot smoked garlic needs to be used within a week. Cold smoked garlic will keep for over 12 months ... so extends the season as well as tasting great.

We've also been supplying one of the local super, multi award winning restaurants with the scapes (flower stalks) which they are loving - picture below.

I thought this tree-change thing was supposed to be slow down? Never been busier, and must post some photos of the renovated kitchen soon ;)

Attachments

• WP_20141105_005.jpg
    WP_20141105_005.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
hahahaha Mojos ... your wish is my command. ;)

Well done Lizzie!

Is the harvest as much as you expected or planned for?

We've only just started.

The Italian Red (early harvest) is a strange variety in that it doesn't "come on" all at the same time - but rather in spits and spats. We'll be digging up several hundred every day for the next 2 weeks until we've harvested around 3,000 plants ... then the unknown Turban variety we've called Pokolbin Purple will be ready - another 2,000 ... then the unknown Creole variety we've called Pokolbin Creole will be hitting the stride as a late harvest garlic and that'll be another 3,000 or so. Plus the four other varieties we tried on a smaller scale this year.

So all up we'll be happy with this first harvest ... :D ... next year we plan to double in size ... and double again the year after ... and then double ... until we get up to a hectare. Better to grow slowly than overextend (IMO).

Good for you Lizzie and I trust you have the success you've worked so hard for with this new project... I'll be ordering some when it's ready. Yummo LOVE garlic! :D

Hmmmm Lizzie

Have you considered the implications of producibg a product that allows unattached men like me to be permanently shunned by garlic breath

Ps I'll buy four!!!!!!!!

sheesh Lizzie I think you're going to be popular!! Just remember who ordered first ;) !!! I don't want to miss out, lol. Congrats, and great deal with the scapes too.

Hi, isn't life exciting!! Remember I said it first, garlic garlic and garlic.

I also planted a few just for home consumption.

We're all extremely interested to cheer you on & well done!

KY

Back