Gas pipe repair and responsibility

Hi all,

I have had ongoing issues with the hot water supply to one of my IP.

The property is less than 3 years old and originally there was a problem with the Rheem infinity heater which was replaced uner warranty.
Now there still seems to not to be enough hot water being created. Rheem came back out and tested the ppliance and said there was not enough gas pressure.

Gas company came out and checked the pressure out of the meter to the where it goes into the wall and said its fine up to that point. It loses pressure somewhere in the pipe within the wall cavity before it comes out to the water heater.

A gas plumber said the easiest option was to put a new gas pipe to the water heater, so that we didn't have to rip out the wall to get to the pipe.He did this, but now the Body Corp is complaining because the pipe wasn't approved by them and they said it wouldn't be approved and I need to remove it.
To be fair the pipe doesn't look particularly attractive, but for the moment, I just want to get the tenants hot water.

When the PM questioned the strata manager about the fact that the pipe was inside the wall cavity (and therefore strata’s responsibility) he said, "it is on your side of the gas main so it is your responsibility"

Can anyone offer any advice on whether I or the body corp are responsible, or what other options I might have?

This is in NSW by the way.

Many thanks
Neil

Maybe claim against the Building Warranty Insurance issued by the Builder for new construction if its been like that from new and therefore not fit for purpose?

Tell BC 'to get over it' and paint the pipe to match the wall.
Instantaneous hwu are temperamental & can stop heating if the gas pressure is insufficient, pressure drops due to length of the line. If the length of the pipe is the cause then it is a home warranty issue.

Tell bc you will be installing a 500 litre storage unit.

Tell BC 'to get over it' and paint the pipe to match the wall.
Instantaneous hwu are temperamental & can stop heating if the gas pressure is insufficient, pressure drops due to length of the line. If the length of the pipe is the cause then it is a home warranty issue.

Tell bc you will be installing a 500 litre storage unit.

I think I'll try massaging their ego first :)

Seriously, you can hardly see the pipe.
There are only 4 town houses, and only one of them would see it.

Not sure whether the length of the pipe is
the problem or not because the new pipe, in the outside,
is probably just as long!

Cheers.

What sort of construction is the townhouse?
I've seen plumbers use the softer annealed tube (comes in a coil) to get up cavity walls easier.

However if its a accessible roof space I would be checking the pipe there 1st if it has not already been done.
They throw the water and gas lines in quite roughly going straight from point A to B. Not uncommon for them to be going over beams etc and sticking up in the air. Makes it very easy for someone to accidentally kink one as they crawl through the roof.
Completely different matter if is a concrete slab ceiling or otherwise inaccessible.

Other option is to bury the pipe if the heater is on the same wall as the gas meter and not too far. Assuming no concrete path etc.

What sort of construction is the townhouse?
I've seen plumbers use the softer annealed tube (comes in a coil) to get up cavity walls easier.

However if its a accessible roof space I would be checking the pipe there 1st if it has not already been done.
They throw the water and gas lines in quite roughly going straight from point A to B. Not uncommon for them to be going over beams etc and sticking up in the air. Makes it very easy for someone to accidentally kink one as they crawl through the roof.
Completely different matter if is a concrete slab ceiling or otherwise inaccessible.

Other option is to bury the pipe if the heater is on the same wall as the gas meter and not too far. Assuming no concrete path etc.

Hi,

Its a brick veneer construction, but the suspected blocked gas pipe runs inside the cavity, not through the roof space.

Not sure you can just bury a gas pipe can you?

Anyway, I am still waiting for an official approach from body corporate. until then the gas pipe is staying as is.

Thanks

Back