Gated estates?

Has anyone had any experience with gated estates in Australia?

I've seen them and experienced them while I was living in Taiwan and I found the ones I knew of to be rather secure (especially for children). However, even though i know that some exist in Australia, I am not aware how effective they are in Australia, or if the "BC" cost of them is excessive.

So from an Australian investors point of view - are gated estates the home of owner occupiers only or do renters also look for propertiers in such estates?

Taking this one step further, has any developer here built or developed a gated estate? Do they sell quicker and are houses in gated estates in more demand in some areas as opposed to standard housing estates?

Any thoughts...

Thanks

g

If your talking about the gated estates I have come accross where all houses are side by side with adjoining walls - I would stay away.

The ones I have seen have mostly been occupied by renters and I would imagine CG won't be as good as a normal house. I would also imagine there would be high BC fees especially if there is a pool / tennnis court / basketball court etc.

No that is not the gated estates I've seen.

These are basically secured communities and they are secured behind large walls/fences and the only way in is secured by either a permanent guard or an intercom system.

The houses in the estates i have seen (in the US and in Taiwan) are built in a community style with yards, gardens community recreation etc. They are basically all fenced in and secured in and built in a traditional community setting - not cramped up as you describe.

In Taiwan (and in the US), many rich or well to do people live in such communities as they are safer and provide a good environment for children - away from kidnapping attempts, drive pasts etc.

g

I dont know about elsewhere, but there are a few gated estates in Cairns (such a Paradise Palms - http://paradisepalmsrealestate.com.au/pages/Interactive-Master-Plan.html, there is also Ulysses Blue ). I have a friend who has an IP in this estate, and you need a swipe card to get in and visitors need to be "buzzed" in. I personally think having an IP in a gated community is decreasing your tenant pool, but maybe that is because I would personally dislike living in one. The BC costs are quite high.

I'm sure there are others around Australia...

Nadia

One of my IP's is in a huge gated complex with 100 townhouses. The landlords insurance on it is about half the price. There is a live-in caretaker. About 90 -95 % of complex are rental properties. It is pretty much a hassle free investment. I'm not expecting huge capital gains from it though as it is aimed at investors rather than owner occupiers, but on a 105% lend it pays for itself.

Same - I know theres one around kingsford and roseberry (NSW) ... closed community, looks like a nice place to live - dont know about investment wise or pricing etc.

Bump...

I've been looking at a couple of 'gated' Townhouse developments in Mackay ie. Sonata Place, Beacon Villas - Price range in the order of $390-460K, and having spoken to a couple of PMs in town, they are confirming 1. that they will rent out easily (due to high demand for rentals/low vacancy rate in town), and 2. for $550+pw approx, and growing!

I'm interested to hear any thoughts out there on whether gated communities in the areas influenced by the resources sector with a good deal of FIFO/DIDOs (Mackay, Gladstone etc..) with young families etc. seem a worthwhile proposition?

It would be great to any feedback from mining people on whether they would find them attractive as they provide on site facilities such as pools, playgrounds, open space, and of course security for when hubby is away at the mines ;)

As I've said I've researched a couple and the BC fees are no more than the average we are paying on a unit in Western Sydney, so this was pleasing to find out.

Yes the tenant pool is probably narrowed, as has been mentioned in this thread already, but in an area where miners and mining execs are plentiful with extra $$ to spend does this counter this potential issue?

Any thoughts appreciated.

SB

Has anyone had any experience with gated estates in Australia?

There are HEAPS of them on the Gold Coast.

A good friend of mine manages an upmarket one - all freestanding houses with a 'community' gym, pool, recreational areas. The BC fees can be huge - the reason why I would steer clear of them as an investor.

For a PPOR, take all the talk on how bad crime is in the area (thus why you 'need to live in a fortified enclosure'!) with a grain of salt :rolleyes:. Often it's simply rubbish to scare cashed up retirees into thinking that they need the 'protection' of a security gate.

One of my IP's is in a huge gated complex with 100 townhouses. The landlords insurance on it is about half the price. There is a live-in caretaker. About 90 -95 % of complex are rental properties. It is pretty much a hassle free investment. I'm not expecting huge capital gains from it though as it is aimed at investors rather than owner occupiers, but on a 105% lend it pays for itself.

BULLS41T ALERT.....

Its very rare to find neutral/positively geared properties in Australia.

What suburb is it in?
What year did you buy it?

Or are you talking about a property in the USA? But then how did you get the loan?

Or you are claiming you bought it years ago and today's rent covers the loan?

Bump...

I've been looking at a couple of 'gated' Townhouse developments in Mackay ie. Sonata Place, Beacon Villas - Price range in the order of $390-460K, and having spoken to a couple of PMs in town, they are confirming 1. that they will rent out easily (due to high demand for rentals/low vacancy rate in town), and 2. for $550+pw approx, and growing!

I'm interested to hear any thoughts out there on whether gated communities in the areas influenced by the resources sector with a good deal of FIFO/DIDOs (Mackay, Gladstone etc..) with young families etc. seem a worthwhile proposition?

It would be great to any feedback from mining people on whether they would find them attractive as they provide on site facilities such as pools, playgrounds, open space, and of course security for when hubby is away at the mines ;)

As I've said I've researched a couple and the BC fees are no more than the average we are paying on a unit in Western Sydney, so this was pleasing to find out.

Yes the tenant pool is probably narrowed, as has been mentioned in this thread already, but in an area where miners and mining execs are plentiful with extra $$ to spend does this counter this potential issue?

Any thoughts appreciated.

SB

I own a townhouse right next door to Beacon Villas. I think the PMs you have talked to have 'sensationalised' (suprise suprise) what they will fetch. I think they 'might' get around $450-$500 for 3/1/1.

Both communities you mention are hardly 'gated'. They are just pockets of land intensified, no gates. I think there really is only 1 gated community in Mackay, which is at the harbour, and then you have you medium rises in city centre and harbour - thats about it.

You are right that the rental market is tight up here - 30+ people turning up to open inspections. LL are really getting on the bandwagon too. They are accepting persons who they know can afford and will accept regular price increases (miner+wife and 2.3 kids), than say 'townies' or struggling families looking to upsize accomodation. They just have no chance.

pinkboy

BULLS41T ALERT.....

Its very rare to find neutral/positively geared properties in Australia.

What suburb is it in?
What year did you buy it?

Or are you talking about a property in the USA? But then how did you get the loan?

Or you are claiming you bought it years ago and today's rent covers the loan?

I call Bull$h!t as you say! Very generalized statement and narrow view.

Check out some mining towns fetching $3k/week for properties in the $600k mark. Moranbah, Dysart, Port Hedland.............

pinkboy

I own a townhouse right next door to Beacon Villas. I think the PMs you have talked to have 'sensationalised' (suprise suprise) what they will fetch. I think they 'might' get around $450-$500 for 3/1/1.

Both communities you mention are hardly 'gated'. They are just pockets of land intensified, no gates. I think there really is only 1 gated community in Mackay, which is at the harbour, and then you have you medium rises in city centre and harbour - thats about it.

You are right that the rental market is tight up here - 30+ people turning up to open inspections. LL are really getting on the bandwagon too. They are accepting persons who they know can afford and will accept regular price increases (miner+wife and 2.3 kids), than say 'townies' or struggling families looking to upsize accomodation. They just have no chance.

pinkboy

Thanks for the feedback Pinkboy...
Good to know you are close by! The townhouses are 3+study/2/2 which is what attracted our attention, so this considered, the proposed rents may not be all that sensationalised?
You are correct in saying they are hardly gated, no swipe cards here, so my fault for calling them such.. although they are different in that they do contain their own 'communal' amenities, which is the message I was really trying to get across and seek feedback on.
BTW - can you recommend a good PM in Mackay as I pick up a hint of sarcasm in your post towards PMs... :D (and not sure if your TH is an IP??)

SB

I call Bull$h!t as you say! Very generalized statement and narrow view.

Check out some mining towns fetching $3k/week for properties in the $600k mark. Moranbah, Dysart, Port Hedland.............

pinkboy

Pinkboy it would be nice if you were a bit more logical.

This thread is about gated communities.
Mining towns are not exactly common, they are a very small part of Australia's property market.

Quite simply, your comment is not related to the topic of gated communities.

Maybe there are gated communities in the mining towns, if so I stand corrected.

Thanks for the feedback Pinkboy...
Good to know you are close by! The townhouses are 3+study/2/2 which is what attracted our attention, so this considered, the proposed rents may not be all that sensationalised?
You are correct in saying they are hardly gated, no swipe cards here, so my fault for calling them such.. although they are different in that they do contain their own 'communal' amenities, which is the message I was really trying to get across and seek feedback on.
BTW - can you recommend a good PM in Mackay as I pick up a hint of sarcasm in your post towards PMs... :D (and not sure if your TH is an IP??)

SB

Yes, something like a 4/2/2 is going to attract rents $500+.

Me, sarcasm? No!

The PMs I know vary on the 'pinkboy scale of PM' somewhere between Foreskin and Appendix - often found to be useless and better off without! :eek:

I do still have the TH there, but I self manage. Its actually the only property that I dont have my staff in, but they are very dilligent tenants in that particular property, and (touch wood) stay on. I have been a bit soft on the rental increases here because they are such good keepers of the property.

pinkboy

There is one in inner Newcastle which looks nice - but don't know much about it.

As for BS - I've got two major city IP's bought just on a year ago that are positively geared.

There is one in inner Newcastle which looks nice - but don't know much about it.

As for BS - I've got two major city IP's bought just on a year ago that are positively geared.

Its amazing how people will brag about their "positively geared" properties but always seem vague on the details.

What type of property (eg 2 bdrm townhouse, 1bdrm unit, 3bdrm house etc)
Which suburb did you buy in?
What month did you buy (presuming 2011)?
Purchase price?
Rental Income?

The only way its positively geared is:
a) you did some sort of renovation
b) its commercial property?
c) you paid a massive deposit lowering the loan amount

Please give us the details...... vague claims of how brilliant you are actually end up being annoying.

Its amazing how people will brag about their "positively geared" properties but always seem vague on the details.

What type of property (eg 2 bdrm townhouse, 1bdrm unit, 3bdrm house etc)
Which suburb did you buy in?
What month did you buy (presuming 2011)?
Purchase price?
Rental Income?

The only way its positively geared is:
a) you did some sort of renovation
b) its commercial property?
c) you paid a massive deposit lowering the loan amount

Please give us the details...... vague claims of how brilliant you are actually end up being annoying.

Such arrogance!

Why would anyone give up thier DD and hard work and present it to you on a platter? People are 'vague' because the element of the chase is lost if the competition in the specific marketplace increases. Sometimes less is more, thats the 'brilliance'

Its amazing how much people want something for nothing. Might want to analyse this thread a little further:

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77488

pinkboy

Does it matter what I bought and what city it was in?

Not giving to much away - inner middle ring (10mins from CBD, walk to train and shops) in 6th largest city in Australia - settled Feb '11 for $235k - currently rented $340/wk.

Bought another very similar 2 weeks previous to that one - similar figures - but nothing since as haven't been really looking.

The point is - it is do-able. One just has to look look look and be ready to pounce.

Back