"General" networking - any advice?

Hi all,

Just wondering, does anyone have advice for "general" networking? That is, networking without a solid reason to (business, friendship, etc).

Problem is that I'm still a teenager (18), and while networking with other college students is not hard, I find it difficult to gain any ground with adults. I don't actually have anything to provide them with, and I'm not sure an 18 year old will have enough in common with a 40-year-old to establish a "contact".

So far, I've known one or two adults through a "mentoring" program (the Young Achievers Australia thing), but since I haven't actually got a regular service to provide or accept, there doesn't seem to any reason to keep in contact.

I'd like to try and establish a small network with adults which would assist me with finding a job, or with career-related matters in future. So far, I'm stuck. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Luc.

Lucas,

I'd guess that there might need to be some element of common interest.

If you're in this forum, Investment Property may be an interest of yours. When there's meetings advertised in Melbourne, go along to them. The people in this forum seem to be quite a good group, and you could learn a lot.

Similarly for any other interests you may have (assuming you have time for interests while you're studying).

What was the Young Achievers thing for?

Hi Lucas,

I have to agree with geoff........you need to come along to one of the Melbourne meetings. We ARE a nice bunch. :D

I have no problem with your 40-year-old tag, but I'm sure all the 20 somethings that come along to the meetings would have!! We have all ages and all levels of experience. Believe me you would fit in!

Hope to see you soon.

Ruby :)

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate the help.

When do Melbourne meetings usually occur? Are they posted in the Meeting Point boards?

Thanks,
Luc.

Originally posted by LucasK

When do Melbourne meetings usually occur? Are they posted in the Meeting Point boards?

They sure are Lucas, they are also in the calendar.

There are two different meetings in Melbourne. There is the Investornet meetings held on the 2nd Wed of the month and then there is the MSN/Somersoft Meetings as well.

Hope to see you soon.

Ruby :)

Lucas,

Don't forget all the other great clubs & social groups out there...

For example - Toastmasters attracts a wide range of skilled types of many ages who suddenly need to develop their presentation skills (as they climb corporate ladders to management)....

Amateur theatre groups attract a fantastic variety of skilled and handy people who are often very good thinkers and organisers...

Sports clubs, bridge clubs, chess clubs, etc,etc,etc

Try reading 'How to win friends and influence people' - it has some great strategies to get across the age divide.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Hi Lucas

General Networking can be the best style of networking around. This is usually when you are being "yourself" and, hopefully, having fun.

I attended a Wayne Berry seminar during the week with a friend of mine. During the tea/coffee break everyone networked with each other. My friend who has a very bubbly personality scored herself a senior corporate client deal for an exclusive club in Sydney CBD to be their direct travel agent. This deal will put upto $50k in her pocket pa in commissions, and all this because she was networking and being herself without pushing any business deals etc.

The 5 minute conversation that she had was worth $10 000 per minute...

Cheers
Robert

Hi Lucas

I moved over here from the UK 2 years ago, and have very few contacts as my husband and I are not great socialites.

Recently I started up a part time business, and a few months previous also some voluntary work in the same field. Without an end goal in mind except being helpful, I offered to assist with the charity's website. 3 weeks later, the webmaster told me she had put my business on the charity's website as a recommended provider (front page no less). Completely free advertising by a reputable organisation.

So I guess I accidentally networked that one!

I would recommend getting involved in some club or organisation even if it only vaguely relates to what you think you might do - you never know who you will meet - I also met a distant relative I didn't know existed!

:p

Zamaz

Back