Geoffw in personal investor magazine??

Hi Lily,

I was interviewed for tha mag, and had pix taken.

Did it show just my ugly mug, or did it have the good looking members of my family as well?

How was the article?

(I wasn't expecting it to come out for a few weeks yet).

This story was completely unrelated.

Hi Geoff,

I knew it had to be you.:)

Page 33 is a full page photo of you and your wife and two daughters!!!

Page 34 has a large box (maybe half the page) with written info about your property purchases.

The article is titled 'How long can property rule' and is basically a Property versus Shares article:Looking at whether now is a better time to buy shares (with property market at high). You are shown as an example of one who favours property. They also have a profile of an investor who favours shares.

The written bit about you basically lists your history of property purcahses and why you invest, I will quote the final para for you.

"Even so, he says he recognises he came into the market at a good time. 'Ive had several colleagues come and ask me if they should get into property. My advice is to be very careful. I believe in property in the long term but I do think you need to pay attention to where you are in the cycle.'"

So there you go - quite a bit of exposure.
Well done. I would be interested to know how they 'found out' about you (also for the tv segment) if you don't mind letting us know.

Lily
Not only do I now know what you look like but they also gave your age.

:)

Thanks Lily.

Just a coincidence the two things came on the same day.

I read the article by taking a trial 1-day subscription on http://www.personalinvestor.com.au

But there was not a pic on the site.

Do you subscribe, or did you get it on the newsstand?

A warning for anybody here. I was contacted for the article from this site. The journalist, Karin Derkly had read a post I had made, and contacted me via a PM to ask me questions.

So the journalists do come in here.

The "Today Tonight" thing came about after Micahel Croft dobbed me in as an "up and coming" property "millionaire" (a slight exaggeration).

Now I DO 'know' someone famous! (well, notorious anyway)!

The book, 'Ordinary Millionaires', mentioned in the article looks fascinating - and I think there'd be a few of us on this forum!!

Cheers:D

Thanks Geoff,

Interesting to see how they found you.

Yes my hubbie is a subcriber and got it in todays mail. Couldn't tell you whether its in the shops yet or when. You'll have to get a copy just for the photo!!!

Lily

Congratulations Geoff on TV AND magazine,

Just got my Personal Investor copy from Qld newsagency today.

Lovely photo of yourself and family.:)

Thanks Brenda.

Now that raises an interesting tax question for Dale.

Could I legitimately claim 20 copies of one single issue of the magazine as a tax deeduction?

hehehe... I can just imagine it.

"Thanks for all the wonderful work you've done. Here's a picture of me as a token of my appreciation".

Originally posted by Lily House
Hi Geoffw

Is that you on pages 33 and 34 in the July 'Personal Investor' magazine?

Lily
Lily,

Out of interest. Would you have known it was me without the TV thing? Or how did you recognise my ugly mug?

Sorry Geoff for the late reply - havn't been on the forum for a few days.

Actually I did not see you on TV and had no idea what you looked like.
Just saw the name (Geoff and a surname starting with W) - and thought the description of your properties sounded like you (particularly the blocks of flats in Q.. that you have referred to on the forum). So it was just an educated guess more than anything.

And yes you do kinda look like cookie monster (no offense intended - cookie monster is cute. My two year old gets very excited when I am on the forum and she sees the little cookie monster avatar on the side of a post). Did you (and your girls) like the photo?

Lily

Lily,

Thanks for that.

Your educated guess was very well educated.

As with most photos, the opinion was unanimous. We each thought that the picture of ourselves was good, but that the picture of every other family member was great :D

Nice to see your mug in the magazine, Geoff. You looked so relaxed!
Agreed with you about careful selection, particularly in today's market of poor capital city yields and hyped up prices.
It was interesting to see Jim McKnight's book plugged on the TT site as I only just plucked it off the bookshop shelves yesterday and am enjoying it, a la Jan Somers "Building Wealth: Story by Story" style! Easy to digest and motivating, to say the least. Some quite divergent thinking so far from what I've read....

So what's next, Geoff? Are you now chasing yields only?

Thanks Jacque. I was relaxed- we had lunch down at the local- and I wasn't working, though the photographer was.

The book sounded good. I would have been interested in a copy- but as they had promoted me as a millionaire, I felt awkward asking for a copy :D

Properties- I went for one growth + cashflow, and one cashflow only- I've had some good growth in both, (unexpected in one property)- but I think I'll be using the cashflow to pursue growth.

Back