Getting rid of laminate

:confused: Anyone know an easy way to remove laminate from kitchen cupboard doors??

The surface is just not good enough to seal and paint over. It may actually be cost effective to replace the doors (4 only).

Cheers

Hi,

probably easier to get new doors, however the glue can be softened with a hot air gun or iron.
As it softens just lever the laminate off with a chisel

rossv

there are no real standard sizes.
Best bet would be to go to a few local cabinet makers with the doors and get them to quote you on new doors same size as you have and you even get to pick the colour. Quick tip- white is the cheapest colour, anything else will cost considerably more

cheers

gecho

Get Them Sprayed

Why don't you get a quote for getting them sprayed. It's not your normal spray paint, it's a similar process for like getting a bath resurfacing.

These people will come in and recoat everything, doors, benchtops, any colour and will fix up the old laminate if it's got bits missing etc. If the kitchen layout is still good but the colour is dated, this is a much cheaper way of revamping your whole kitchen for a fraction of the cost. It only takes a day to spray a whole kitchen.

I have heard that a panel beater can spray them with two pack paint.

I don't know whether they can do laminate or if you need some new doors.

i hope it all turns out!

Originally posted by itinerantotter
Thanks. Do you know of anyone here in the wild west??

Cheers

Sorry haven't got a clue, but I'm sure that if they do them in little ole NZ they surely do them in Ozzy:D

I had a good suggestion then I realised you were in Perth :p

We had a quote on new doors cut to size with edging as req'd was $300 for a large kitchen (approx 30 doors)

it was an extra $50 to fit all the hinges

this was from 14mm mdf from memory

pretty cheap...

Sorry Ben your memory would have been 2mm out. MDF and like come in 16 & 18 mm (as well as other sizes) but this is a good quote. Was that in a colour or plain white?

Gecho

Originally posted by gecho1
Sorry Ben your memory would have been 2mm out. MDF and like come in 16 & 18 mm (as well as other sizes) but this is a good quote. Was that in a colour or plain white?

Gecho

That just cracked me up. You wouldn't happen to be Irish would you gecho1.:D

Queen Bee,

I did a full kitchen renno and had a panel beater spray paint all of my new doors in two pak paint. Looks unreal, very difficult to scratch or chip. And, you can pick any paint colour you like. I designed my own colour.

May be worth calling a few local panel shops.

Cheers

BUNDY:)

Back