Giddo's Villa Build

Hope this works. A pic of the site ready to pour slab in early September. The house in the background is the other half of my dual occ project.

Another from behind looking out towards the northwest.:)

Attachments

• IMGP1991.jpg
    IMGP1991.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 80
  • IMGP1992.jpg
    IMGP1992.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 72
progress as at 4th October

I'm getting excited now. It even looks like a little house. (It is really classified as a stand alone unit)
We have cabling and plumbing in now. The plasterboard goes in this coming week.:)

I am pleased it is looking to have a deal of "presence" and street appeal for a unit. Just what we were aiming for. :D

Attachments

• IMGP2027.jpg
    IMGP2027.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 94
Top stuff Giddo! Looking great. It's an amazing feeling when you have a structure in place that you can stroll around in. How is the market going up in Toowoomba?

Hello Ian Rockstar,

the market here has been low in volume for the past 3 months (winter slowdown).

I looked at 7 open houses yesterday and there was more activity than last month. Even a few FHBs I would say.

The reason? Interest rate drops? Better weather? I don't know.

Seems to have been a 5% drop in prices generally over the past year or so, and homes over $400,000 are sitting.

(Our median here is only about $255000)

Anything under $300k is ok i am told, but all the agents have been to the same school and all stress that it is important for the vendor to be realistic with prices.

I predict a slow dribble downwards for a year or two; but who knows? i certainly don't.

I am sticking a bit more mortar in the dykes at the moment.

What the?

I am sticking a bit more mortar in the dykes at the moment.

What did women who wear comfy shoes do to you:eek::confused:

Lol! It looks great! Stick to your guns on sale price too, up here (Hervey Bay) agents are thrashing and wailing like harpies, you'd think they wanted to drive prices down.:cool:

Location of new free standing unit

Cnr Ruthven st and Perry St Toowoomba

In the backyard of the house facing Ruthven Street.

Nearly to lockup now.:)

Attachments

• CBBF1226.jpg
    CBBF1226.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 74
$420000

Values after build

Original house $210000

New Villa $280000

Total $490000 after selling costs

Around $69000 gross profit if I sold both. Before CGT.

Hi Giddo,

Thanks for your great sharing! I just wonder if this deal will be subject to GST when it was sold after completion?

Hi Giddo,

Thanks for your great sharing! I just wonder if this deal will be subject to GST when it was sold after completion?

I think that depends on the structure used to buy the property. If an investor buys the property and pays GST, he can claim it all back but then must pay GST forever on rent he gets.

Nearly there now!

Hello all,

Well we will have practical completion on 19th December. The build has been very smooth so far. (a lot smoother than when I had a house removed and renoe'd back in 92 - a living nightmare that one)

It is now listed for sale. Internet only so far. We will get excited about a marketing campaign when it has landscaping driveways etc done.:)

Surveyors will be in as soon as fences are up. Strata title work to begin immediately after that.

If we get any bites in the meantime, we will sell subject to strata going thru, and do a rentback in the meantime.

If any of you nice people know of any buyers please send them my way.:D

This is it!

Real estate .com.au

DOWNLANDS PRECINCT - NEW LOW MAINTENANCE LIVING
$279,000
HARLAXTON
Features: Ensuite
Perfect for retirees. New and spacious on a small easy care allotment in a northside leafy established position. Enjoy all the benefits of buying new. This cleverly designed home offers spacious open plan living, big kitchen, three good sized built in bedrooms(main with ensuite) and a single lock up garage with remote and internal access. Fully fenced and turfed with landscaping and paths. Just perfect.
Click to Contact Agent Property Summary:
Category: House Bedrooms: 3 Bathrooms: 2 Garage: Single Land: 404.00sqm (approx) Close to: Brisbane: 105km (direct line)

(I would have put a link up but I am a computer dinosaur!)

Attachments

• IMGP2047.jpg
    IMGP2047.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 104
If Martin 2F was asking whether Giddo would have to pay GST when he sells, my understanding is that if you build then sell within 5 yrs you have to pay GST regardless of whether you are registered or not.

Rent is not subject to GST, regardless of whether you are registered or not.

Congratulations Giddo. Its all very exciting isn't it - especially now the finish post is in sight!

Wake

House now finished

Handover done, all great. Now just the concreting and landscaping and fencing to do. All contracted separately.

A lesson for me this time was the clause in the building contract that specifies damages if project goes overtime. There was nothing specified, so the builder pays nothing as a penalty, while we pay around 7% on the $100,000 already drawn as progress payments.The builder went over his 16 weeks by about 5 weeks.:mad:
Unfortunately the old Christmas break has intervened now, so we wait a little longer for the end result. The tradies and engineers are MIA this week.

Despite this I am positive about the end result!:)

Now to see if I can sell it!:D

2 Pics of inside here.
Do you like it?

Attachments

• IMGP2176.jpg
    IMGP2176.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMGP2174.jpg
    IMGP2174.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 101
Lesson number 63:

At handover, check that the electrician has put his completion form in to the power company.
If he hasn't done so, and forgets about it and goes off fishing over the Christmas break, the power company can't connect the power.:eek:

Lesson no 64

Just do not, whatever you do, time your project so that it may finish just after Christmas.
Costs more in interest and it is just impossible to move anybody in the trades.

And don't lose your cool with the power company.
They have a "blacklist".
Your name will go to the bottom and stays there.

The power company has been just a joke. Ended up visiting the local office to sort it out. NO PHONE number for local office in the phone book. All centralised.:eek::mad:

I have had some fantastic good luck with my turf.
It rained within an hour of laying the couch turf; and then rained a small amount daily for 10 days. Can't ask for more than that eh?

Despite this there is a brown patch in one area! The rest is good though!
Check out the photo below.

Have had very strong FHB enquiry on the place and it is only a matter of not too much time before it sells.

When that happens it will be a case of "another project completed" - er what's next??!?:D:eek:

Giddo

Looks like it should sell from the outside as visually appealing. Speaking to my REA yesterday and he said FHB are the market locally. Selling 250 - 350K easily.

Under 300K flying out the door.

400 - 450K not moving at all unless brand new.

What's your next project?

Regards
Sheryn

Hi Sheryn,

I believe you and your daughter have nearly finished the units now too.
Congratulations.

In answer to your question about our next project, we are refinancing and consolidating right now, and will commence something in 2010.

We should get a contract on this place any day so the end is insight now.

FHBs are v active in Toowoomba too.

Anything under about $280k is hot right now.:)

Back