Gladstone QLD - How is it Going????

I still think in general you are correct.

I am seeing things getting very tight. All the cheaper stuff is gone, the $750pw stuff is now around $850pw (i.e. new 4 bedder out in Calliope).

Yes, one of my houses is now on the rental market, it has had 10 parties through.

A recent update from Ray White advised of one property on their books that had 25 parties turn up to the open home.

Definitely getting tighter again.

It's amazing how much substandard properties there are on the market in Gladstone. I've attended a few open inspections in the past few days, and in several cases I've seen people rock up and leave after being in the house for only a few seconds and in other cases not even bother going into the property. What is even more amazing is that even these properties seem to still be snapped up relatively quickly.

It's amazing how much substandard properties there are on the market in Gladstone. I've attended a few open inspections in the past few days, and in several cases I've seen people rock up and leave after being in the house for only a few seconds and in other cases not even bother going into the property. What is even more amazing is that even these properties seem to still be snapped up relatively quickly.

What price range are you shopping in? For less than $500 per week, don't expect anything flash.

Yes, one of my houses is now on the rental market, it has had 10 parties through.

Hi Matt. Do you mind telling me a brief description of your property and your asking rent just out of interest?

A recent update from Ray White advised of one property on their books that had 25 parties turn up to the open home.

Yes, for some reason the rental girls at Ray White are putting their properties on way too low. No wonder there are 25 parties. Hate to be one of those landlords.

In fact, the sales guys are annoyed at this because they sometimes then end up in the situation where they have to sell a house that has a true market rent of $800pw but have to sell it with a 11 month tenancy in place renting for $550pw. Makes for a very hard sell.

Hi David,

The one currently for rent is this one

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-gladstone-407001386

Nothing flash, but only $450 per week. I was assuming this was the price range he was looking in.

I am not doing it up as it will be removed in 6 months time to put up 5 townhouses :)

I have another house renting for $560 per week, 3 bedrooms, fully renovated, nice kitchen and bathrooms, fully furnished in South Gladstone, (much better kitted out than where I live, tvs and dvds in every room, aircon in all living and bedrooms, 5 page listing of inclusions). I'd be happy to live in this one and is what I would expect for that price range.

When it came up for rent 4 months ago it didn't even make it to the internet and I had 2 offers.

I'm about to add 2 townhouses to the back of it.

My third property is a mess, but has zoning to do 6 townhouses. Unlikely we will invest to get it to rentable standard, just knock it down and build asap. Don't settle on it until May.

Excellent stuff Matt, sounds like you've got some really good stuff going on in the area, congratulations.

In my opinion I think you could get a bit more rent up a bit more.

I will PM the re.com.au links for my ones to you. For the forum it's 5 years old, 'proper' 4/2/2, the nicer New Auckland estate, Salt water in ground pool, 750m2-ish block. I have just accepted a tenant at $900pw.

Nice one. I subscribe to re.com.au daily alerts, there are only usually two 4 bedders added to the rental stock each day.

It's amazing you can still buy great quality at the $550-600k price range. Surely the prices will adjust up to the rents over the next 6-12 months. Wish I could get more.

I actually see it working the other way.

Typically in a resources boom, the rents take off, until they hit around 10% yield, then house prices increase as the yields continue higher.

Areas like Moranbah, Dysart, Karratha and Port Hedland have all experienced this kind of rent-led growth, but the magic number is always 10%+ yield.

I actually see it working the other way.

Typically in a resources boom, the rents take off, until they hit around 10% yield, then house prices increase as the yields continue higher.

Areas like Moranbah, Dysart, Karratha and Port Hedland have all experienced this kind of rent-led growth, but the magic number is always 10%+ yield.

True but they are in the middle of nowheresville. This is a town with infrastructure and on the coast. SHOULD not need to get to 10%. But I guess if the price growth is led by yeild and determined by a market of speculators in a mining boom then 10% it might be...

We have just received contact from our PM asking for the approval to give the go ahead to renew the lease for our tenants. The lease is up mid May and they want to keep the rent at the current rate of $450 a week. The property is a 3 bedroom house, built in the 1940's but has been renovated completely. It's located on Toolooa Street so not completely central but not far from the CBD. Anyone renewing leases currently and whether it's advisable to up the rent?

I've just done a search on realestate.com and it states there are: No Exact Matches Found: Results for houses for rent with 3+ bedrooms greater than $400 per week in Gladstone Central, QLD 4680.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong or maybe the website is playing up again. Anyone else having problems with it currently?

Cheers
Ems

We have just received contact from our PM asking for the approval to give the go ahead to renew the lease for our tenants. The lease is up mid May and they want to keep the rent at the current rate of $450 a week. The property is a 3 bedroom house, built in the 1940's but has been renovated completely. It's located on Toolooa Street so not completely central but not far from the CBD. Anyone renewing leases currently and whether it's advisable to up the rent?

I've just done a search on realestate.com and it states there are: No Exact Matches Found: Results for houses for rent with 3+ bedrooms greater than $400 per week in Gladstone Central, QLD 4680.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong or maybe the website is playing up again. Anyone else having problems with it currently?

Cheers
Ems

All the rules as to how properties are allocated to suburbs have changed. Try typing in the postcode for Greater Gladstone instead (4680), and you should come up with nearly 200 listings. I can tell you $450 is definitely starting to be on the low side for 3 bedder units in Gladstone.

Hi
I'm new to this property game, really has bitten me in the last 2 years I love it!
Always looking at ways to get my next IP.
At the moment I have a PPR in little creek Gladstone and an IP in calliope 4-2-2 pool. I have lived here for the past 3 years and have witnessed all the changes with the property market and employment situation. Rental demand had eased over the Xmas break but the last 2 weeks have seen a big demand again for rentals and the rent prices have been rising again. I am only young and very keen on learning about property investment so if anyone needs some information about the area I'm more then happy to help them out if possible.

Thanks

Property Manager

Hi,

I know it's a bit off topic and also there are some similar posts around but they are without much feedback..
I am looking for a good property manager in Gladstone. Currently with Elders and not entirely happy with their service.

Cheers

Dave

I have been very impressed with angela connor from go gecko. We had to evict our tenant that we inherited with the property and she did a great job. Very professional. Have also had a great experience with tahli from raine and horne but she is just about to leave to have a baby.

Unless something is seriously wrong with the website, that number is now 41!!

Looking at the Domain website indicates 70 properties in Gladstone and surrounding areas and there are normally more on realeastate.com.au.

Perhaps it is a glitch in the website.... any other thoughts / rumours?

i have noticed on realestate.com quite frequently that if you manually count the listings provided from your search that the number is different from the one that comes up at the top

like for a search i did today on a sth brissie suburb it told me that there were 24 properties to rent, but when i counted them there was only 17

Back