Gladstone QLD - How is it Going????

Just out of interest, what estate is this in?! That's amazing.

I just got a tennant to sign a lease for $620 p/w at the start of Feb, on my house I purchased for $480k, in Sun Valley, 8 Y.O 4/4/2. So yeah.. damn

Hey Barletta - it's in New Auckland. I agree with Mattnz, you should be getting more. No probs, just revisit when the lease is up.

Another major project for Gladstone

This article indicates another multi-billion dollar project in Gladstone. The timing would be ideal as it would follow on from the LNG construction projects.

Another coal port near Gladstone?
7th Mar 2012
A Brisbane-based company is looking to buy land at Yarwun, near Gladstone, to build another coal export terminal.

Tenement to Terminal (3TL) wants to purchase 130 hectares of land, and a bid to start exporting from the site by 2017.

The company is part-owned by mining minnow MetroCoal.

Well-known industry identity Everald Compton is chairing the terminal proposal, and says $2 million of engineering and planning work has already been done.

“We're planning our rail loops into the port. We're planning how we protect the seagrasses, how we have our loading facilities,” he told the ABC.

“We're on progress to have [the] opening in the first quarter of 2017.”

Mr Compton says several coal companies have already expressed an interest in using the port.

"Metrocoal owns 20 per cent of the company," he said.

"They helped us in getting the project going but they will be one of a number of coal companies that will use the terminal.

"We already have a significant number of coal companies from the Surat and Bowen basins who are negotiating with us for space in our terminal."

Hi matt,

More good news I hope.

Hi everyone,

I have an IP in Glady and the tenant will be moving out of gladstone because they can't afford the increasing rent. My PM had advertised it for $580/week. It has 3 bedrooms and one 1 bathroom upstairs, the main bedroom has ensuit but no shower. Downstairs is also 2 bedrooms with shower and toilet.

Just wondering what everyone think the current rental market for this property would be.

here is the link:
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-west+gladstone-407156396

Thanks all

This is unfortunately the downside to these booms.

There are scores of "locals" in the same boat as your tenants. Where are the lower income professional going to source their workers?

There are many many businesses that have to commute workers from Rocky or Bundy as they just can't afford to live in Gladstone.

It's a tough one.

More on the new coal terminal....

According to an article in Gladstone Observer today, it will be the same size as the current coal terminal and it will be twice the size of the new WICET terminal, which is a $2.5 billion project with 800 construction workers.

Final investment decision is due late 2014.

For 580/wk, a 5 bedder in that location is very reasonable rent. Let us know how you go with getting a tenant..

Maybe worthwhile furnishing it.

Hi guys, just discovered this forum and it appears very inciteful.
Was actually looking to buy a 3 bed + study, 2.5 bath, 2 car garage villa in the Hillclose estate in Clinton. They have a rental guarantee of $670 a week for 2 years with a 5% increase for the third year. I like the security of the guarantee but just wondering what the rental demands are like for villa/townhouses up there?

Hillclose seems to be the best priced estate there.

What price point are you looking at?

Plenty of rental demand, especially for new houses. Construction hasn't started yet. Should really pick up mid to late this year.

Hi guys, just discovered this forum and it appears very inciteful.
Was actually looking to buy a 3 bed + study, 2.5 bath, 2 car garage villa in the Hillclose estate in Clinton. They have a rental guarantee of $670 a week for 2 years with a 5% increase for the third year. I like the security of the guarantee but just wondering what the rental demands are like for villa/townhouses up there?

Who is guaranteeing the rent? The builder/developer? Whats the actual market rent? Are they propping it up with their own cash and after 2 years you end up with a property that will rent for far less? What happens to the guarantee if the developer goes bust?

Who is guaranteeing the rent? The builder/developer? Whats the actual market rent? Are they propping it up with their own cash and after 2 years you end up with a property that will rent for far less? What happens to the guarantee if the developer goes bust?

The contract includes the lease arrangement.
The property is being leased by one of the companies involved in the construction of the LNG project.
The property is for sale for $460k.

If the property itself has a rental agreement for the next 3 years at that rate, it is actually a downside. You will miss the likely rental increases to come in that period.

If it is simply a guarantee, then that is a better position to be in, but as pointed out already, don't rely on guarantees.

The price for the property sounds good.

If the property itself has a rental agreement for the next 3 years at that rate, it is actually a downside. You will miss the likely rental increases to come in that period.

If it is simply a guarantee, then that is a better position to be in, but as pointed out already, don't rely on guarantees.

The price for the property sounds good.

I originally wanted to be closer to the CBD as I thought it may attract a higher rent. But it seems that the rents are pretty good throughout.
I had alot of developers quoting higher returns, than agents that would be looking to lease the properties..surprise surprise! But I do think around the $700a week mark would be about right for this property. Just dont know where it may end up, which is why the lease arrangement appears attractive.

It won't end up lower than that in the next 2-3 years, thats for sure.

The value of the property will align with the rental yield it can attract. If you cap the upside, it can't increase significantly in value.

Hi there all, havent had time to read all the posts on this subject and Im fairly new to this forum. What I can say is I live in Gladstone, have done for a year now orig from Adelaide. Im also a mortgage broker so im seeing first hand the activity up here... The place is going nuts but I honestly believe in a reasonably sustainable fashion. The income people are earning is in line with the property prices and yes people that are in the lower income occupations are being pushed out and thats a separate issue all together but the way I see it its kind of similar to living in a city - your higher income brackets can afford the rent and property prices while your lower income earners get pushed out to the outer suburbs...
The drivers behind Gladstone will be here for a while and I believe for 3-5 years and then stabalising rather than crashing... Gladstone will be an industrial economic hub long term in my view...

Hi there all, havent had time to read all the posts on this subject and Im fairly new to this forum. What I can say is I live in Gladstone, have done for a year now orig from Adelaide. Im also a mortgage broker so im seeing first hand the activity up here... The place is going nuts but I honestly believe in a reasonably sustainable fashion. The income people are earning is in line with the property prices and yes people that are in the lower income occupations are being pushed out and thats a separate issue all together but the way I see it its kind of similar to living in a city - your higher income brackets can afford the rent and property prices while your lower income earners get pushed out to the outer suburbs...
The drivers behind Gladstone will be here for a while and I believe for 3-5 years and then stabalising rather than crashing... Gladstone will be an industrial economic hub long term in my view...

I agree with this view (I'm also a Gladdy resident originally from Adelaide :)). One point I note though is that the lower income earners seem to be pushing out towards Boyne-Tannum and Calliope which are a bit cheaper than Gladstone, and that activity in the new estates in Gladstone's south around Kirkwood Road is through the roof.

CSG has often been touted as the reason from Gladstone's boom, but there's a lot more going on than just the gas plants being constructed on Curtis Island, including new export terminals at Wiggins Island and the QAL industrial expansion.

Add to that the gas powered electricity plant, Boulder still mill that will be gas powered... The beauty of Gladstone is it wont get crazy like places in WA... and it will be sustainable long term

Back