Gladstone QLD - How is it Going????

Devine's new land releases for Riverstone Rise down in the Boyne Island-Tannum Sands area at Wurdong Heights has now been released on to the market.

I have just come across a new smallish 3 bed/1 bath/1 garage house/unit on about 450m2 in central Gladstone for $499k off plan with a $675/week rental agreement with a company for 2 years.

I am seeing positive cashflow plus good depreciation plus possible CG!

Interested to hear fellow expert SS'ers thoughts on this as an investment in Gladstone atm?

Cheers.

I have just come across a new smallish 3 bed/1 bath/1 garage house/unit on about 450m2 in central Gladstone for $499k off plan with a $675/week rental agreement with a company for 2 years.

Rental agreement or rental guarantee?

On limited info I'd say the rental figure is inflated for a 3x1x1.

Rooster

Sorry should have been clearer. The lease is actually directly with a company for one of their employees (not a guarantee), and is transferred to the purchaser for the term.

At this point I don't know who the company is but would be one of the companies operating out of Gladstone.

Sorry should have been clearer. The lease is actually directly with a company for one of their employees (not a guarantee), and is transferred to the purchaser for the term.

At this point I don't know who the company is but would be one of the companies operating out of Gladstone.

CHam, I'd be careful with these off the plan, lease in place on completion type deals.

I can point you to a couple of streets in Gladstone where the same design house plan is used with 10 houses in a row and only a minor colour and facade change to the front.

It has destroyed an otherwise good street.

All out of town investors who buy based on numbers and sight unseen.

Rental return sounds good for the product but resale will be horrible.

Rooster

Fair points Rooster.

I have only just come across this so don't know all of the details yet, however I believe it is a one off in central Gladstone, so not in one of the new estates.

Hence my thinking is that position wise it will be a better option than the new houses which are all the same (as you stated) or high rise apartments.

We are on rolling six month leases in Gladstone and they have been increasing each roll. That is not to say that there is not a roof there somewhere. But maybe take a shorter lease.

We are on rolling six month leases in Gladstone and they have been increasing each roll. That is not to say that there is not a roof there somewhere. But maybe take a shorter lease.

I agree for now, but when the market really takes off I will be looking for long term leases for 2-3 years, then sell based on a 10% yield.

yep me too, need to try and time it becuase as at end of last boom the tenants will smash us back, we r doing the smashing at the moment but times will change again, dont want too many coming up for rent too early after the slowdown

Some photos I took from the air as I flew out of Gladstone on Easter Friday.

Looking south over Kin Kora and New Auckland (Kin Kora is on the near side of the railway line). There's a few new different estates under way around New Auckland.

Similar view to the photo above. You can see a number of new estates progressing around the Kirkwood Road area in this one - Little Creek far top right, Vantage also top right but more obvious, and Forest Springs to the left.

Looking west over the Glen Eden area, which is in the foreground. Kirkwood Road is on the left of the photo.
p1050038gf.jpg

Last edited:
In addition to my recent postings on new estates and photos of happenings in the Gladstone region (see previous page), there is now another new estate that has been released. This one is called Stockwood, which is an 142 lot estate located on the southeast corner of Kirkwood Road and Glenlyon Road in O'Connell.

http://www.stockwood.com.au/home

Threats to Gladstone and impact of new developments on rental yields

"Residential rental vacancies are almost non-existent and rents are rising by at least $100 per week at a time". Terry Ryder 5 April 2012

Not trying to knock Gladstone, indeed if LNG demand holds up in world markets or increases exponentially, growth in Gladstone will be phenomenal. But I don't understand Terry Ryder's remark above, today I checked QLD 4680 for rentals and there are 202 properties for rent, that is not what I call 'rental vacancies almost non-existent.'

Also, Dick McIlhattan, manager of Bechtel’s LNG projects in Australia is quoted in the article as saying "If the world market holds together, there will be a lot of work for a lot of years here in Gladstone.”

What if the world markets don't 'hold together'? What happens to Gladstone then? I would be interested in anyone's opinion as to what are the threats to Gladstone's huge LNG projects.

Terry Ryder says there are seven very large projects under construction in Gladstone. Total investment is $55 billion dollars and supposed to create at least 17,000 construction jobs. One company, Bechtel, a privately family company is building 3 of the 4 LNG processing plants on Curtis Island. 6000 workers will be accommodated in worker's camps on Curtis Island.

I mean, can companies mothball construction if world markets don't 'hold together'? Besides India and China, who else are hungry consumers of our LNG gas? Japan, South Korea?

And if 6,000 of the 17,000 are going to be housed on Curtis Island and developers are rushing into building new developments and State govt is fast tracking multiple developments for 'affordable housing', won't we have a glut of housing in Gladstone in 1-2 years time or will rentals have to come down because there's just so many developments?

And all this only if the 'world markets hold together'. Not trying to spoil anyone's party but I am really interested to know what the threats are to Gladstone's LNG projects and secondly the impact of the rush to build new developments on rental prices in 1-2 years time.

"Residential rental vacancies are almost non-existent and rents are rising by at least $100 per week at a time". Terry Ryder 5 April 2012

Not trying to knock Gladstone, indeed if LNG demand holds up in world markets or increases exponentially, growth in Gladstone will be phenomenal. But I don't understand Terry Ryder's remark above, today I checked QLD 4680 for rentals and there are 202 properties for rent, that is not what I call 'rental vacancies almost non-existent.'

Others can answer the questions about the 'world holding together', but in reference to the rental vacancies, to get a real feeling of it call any agent and say you need a rental for up to $600 pw within 10km of the CBD and see how you go.

If the world doesn't hold together, every market in Australia will drop substantially, whether mining related or not. The LNG companies have forward contracts for 20 years, each worth billions of dollars and have so much already invested, they are beyond the point of no return. I see no higher risk in Gladstone than in any other market, just upside potential.

First time poster :)

Hi Forum Members,

I'm getting pretty excited my house in Gladstone (New Aukland) 4/2/2 is going to completed in about 8 weeks!

I'm looking for any tips about renting it out! I'm sure my financial advisor guy will have something to say about it, but I want to get some second opinions and not to be too spoon fed. It was pretty easy to convince me to invest in Gladstone about 6 months ago and it is getting exciting now! So I do trust my advisor :)

He has recommended we spend the QGBB on furnishing the house (10K shoold buy a lot of furniture!)

I'm wondering what a good range of rents are for a furnished, new 4/2/2 in the New Aukland area is and should I approach real estate agents or somehow approach companies directly?

Any recomendations?

Cheers,
James

Hi Forum Members,

I'm getting pretty excited my house in Gladstone (New Aukland) 4/2/2 is going to completed in about 8 weeks!

I'm looking for any tips about renting it out! I'm sure my financial advisor guy will have something to say about it, but I want to get some second opinions and not to be too spoon fed. It was pretty easy to convince me to invest in Gladstone about 6 months ago and it is getting exciting now! So I do trust my advisor :)

He has recommended we spend the QGBB on furnishing the house (10K shoold buy a lot of furniture!)

I'm wondering what a good range of rents are for a furnished, new 4/2/2 in the New Aukland area is and should I approach real estate agents or somehow approach companies directly?

Any recomendations?

Cheers,
James

Which part of New Auckland is your new house being built? (It's a pretty large suburb! I'm guessing Emmadale or Vantage estates)

I notice that there's quite a few fully furnished 4x2x2 homes in this area going for upwards of $850 per week, and still getting snapped up reasonably quickly. Not sure if you'll find many companies looking to do corporate leases here any more, since many of the biggest employers are now either making individuals find their own place to rent or are being moved into temporary accommodation in Calliope or Curtis Island.

Which part of New Auckland is your new house being built? (It's a pretty large suburb! I'm guessing Emmadale or Vantage estates)

I notice that there's quite a few fully furnished 4x2x2 homes in this area going for upwards of $850 per week, and still getting snapped up reasonably quickly. Not sure if you'll find many companies looking to do corporate leases here any more, since many of the biggest employers are now either making individuals find their own place to rent or are being moved into temporary accommodation in Calliope or Curtis Island.

Hi norwoodman (another ex Adelaidian?)

Thanks for that.

Its one of the Vantage estate properties, near Broadwater Terrace (not on Google maps yet!) I am a little fearful as I have simply no idea about Gladstone, as I am an out-of-town investor. Although there is more good news then bad on the forum...

Thanks for the info about cooperates. I suppose real estate agents are also loving this market, have you heard of any real good ones?

Cheers,
James

Hi norwoodman (another ex Adelaidian?)

Thanks for that.

Its one of the Vantage estate properties, near Broadwater Terrace (not on Google maps yet!) I am a little fearful as I have simply no idea about Gladstone, as I am an out-of-town investor. Although there is more good news then bad on the forum...

Thanks for the info about cooperates. I suppose real estate agents are also loving this market, have you heard of any real good ones?

Cheers,
James

I'm not too knowledgable about the real estate agents in Gladstone... however, I can tell you that some of the working practices they use here are not always in line with what is done in other parts of the country (e.g. All open inspections are on weekdays rather than weekends, restrictions on applications) in order to turn over properties and applications quicker. The usual suspects (Ray White, Elders, Raine & Horne) as well as several others are represented in Gladstone.

(Yes, I am an ex-Adelaidean... lots of work up here to be done)

Back