Gladstone QLD - How is it Going????

The permanent jobs required to run the sites once construction is complete is less than 10% of the construction workforce. Just factor that in when forecasting future employment. I have seen people miss this.

Yea I understand the operational workforce is a lot less than construction workforce, that's kinda where I was going with looking beyond construction, straight to operational workforce. It's still a significant number

The permanent jobs required to run the sites once construction is complete is less than 10% of the construction workforce. Just factor that in when forecasting future employment. I have seen people miss this.

Yea I understand the operational workforce is a lot less than construction workforce, that's kinda where I was going with looking beyond construction, straight to operational workforce. It's still a significant number

From currently committed projects the operational workforce is around 5,000.

If you want to see how much is currently being built then it's worth looking at the most recent Nearmap aerial of Gladstone from early August.

The number of rentals available is dropping by about 20 per week at the moment, which is a great sign. Currently 208 rentals in postcode 4680, there were over 300 a few weeks ago. To me this is the number one indicator of the strength of the Gladstone market.

Please remember that each time a project is completed, like Yarwun in July, the rentals come back on the market. Then a month later a new project will start up, filling the rentals again. In the meantime you can spring-clean or whatever you do during vacancies.

The number of rentals available is dropping by about 20 per week at the moment, which is a great sign. Currently 208 rentals in postcode 4680, there were over 300 a few weeks ago. To me this is the number one indicator of the strength of the Gladstone market.

Vacancy rate is probably a better indicator than looking at the number of rentals - it's back down to about 1% after tracking upwards for a few months so this is good news for anyone who has a property in Gladstone. Mackay's vacancy rate has dipped below Gladstone though.

I can track vacancy rates monthly on the 15th of the month following, but rentals are available whenever I want to check them (for me this is daily). It is the same information in real time. It is the best lead indicator of the likely state of the Gladstone market and expectations of rental returns.

Yes I too have noticed this big drop in available rentals. Almost one third gone in the last 2-4 weeks.

I have a place available for rent right now due to a break lease, hopefully it will rent again quickly.

Yes I too have noticed this big drop in available rentals. Almost one third gone in the last 2-4 weeks.

I have a place available for rent right now due to a break lease, hopefully it will rent again quickly.

Yes, still dropping, now 197. First time in months that it has been under 200. :)

Most gas plants need at least 6-800 permenant staff to operate them and that doesnt include workers for shutdowns etc plus there families ??? thats a lot of people given the amount of plants/infrastructure being built ?

Just looking at what's on offer in the new estates around Gladstone, some of the H&L packages that Devine are offering in their Riverstone Rise estate near Boyne Island look really good for a good mix of yields and potential capital growth. (Some of the brand new 4/2/2 are going for barely $400000 and look to be able to achieve at least a 7% yield.)

Closer to the centre of Gladstone, the H&L packages are pushing $550000 in many cases.

Doesn't really surprise me. It also doesn't really help that one of the three regional councils involved was opposed to the project (Rockhampton Regional Council).

The UDA at Tannum Sands has now been released to the public, it is an estate called Tannum Blue at the south end of Tannum Sands with about 800 (?) proposed homes.

Capital Gains?

Does anyone think we will see any capital gain over the next 1 - 2 years?

With all the new estates I am wondering if there will be any upward movement in prices!!

My property is in the Vantage estate if that helps...

Cheers,
James

Back