Gladstone QLD - How is it Going????

Guys,

I work on an LNG project at Gladstone and speaking with some of the guys you seriously cant go wrong with Gladstone.

There are multi billion dollar projects locked in for the next 20 years that haven't even began yet.

Next trip up there I'm buying.

So I have an older relative with a house on one acre at Bajool, half way between Rocky and Gladdy. Older traditional house, 2 bedrooms, 1 sleepout, right on the highway, 1 toilet upstairs and 1 down. She has a problematic tenant who is difficult to manage and difficult to move. It is managed out of Rocky.

We are wondering if listing it for rent or sale through a Gladdy agent would be a good move. She is not sure whether to sell or keep for the rental income. Any opinions?

I am jumping in on Gladstone as well, hope my broker can get finance approval quick, and driving up next weekend and staying for a few days to look around.

Last edited:
Has anyone built in Gladstone recently and if you have who did you use, what sort of build time would one expect and what sort of price would you be looking at for your average 4 x 2?

Just had a lease renewal for our 3 bed house. The agent has suggested we go for $480 from $380 now. Nice!!!

Ems

Has anyone built in Gladstone recently and if you have who did you use, what sort of build time would one expect and what sort of price would you be looking at for your average 4 x 2?

not sure but i went into some new estates last week and some are going to be very baron horrible places.

i said to one of the agents how do they get away with building such poor quality, shoddy houses.

she said most are sold to investors in WA who never come over and see property and they will rent out well initially and by time the brown stuff hits the fan the developer and agent are well out of the picture

as for the rest of gladdy it is on fire, rents continue to explode and now prices have started as they always do to follow.

i took a mate there in 2006 and he bought a few places, he just got told today he can build an apartment block 4 stories high on one property, not bad when he only paid $242k for the house and it is currently paying for itself renting at $400pw.

Just had one finish and another about to start.

6 months will generally see it finished from from slab to occ cert.

You could probably get a 200sqm 4x2 for around $260k. That's turfed, fenced and window coverings as well

Rooster

not sure but i went into some new estates last week and some are going to be very baron horrible places.

Wouldn't happen to be the far end of Cavella Drive in Glen Eden would it BT?

It's an absolute disgrace what they have done to the end of that street.

Rooster

Just had a lease renewal for our 3 bed house. The agent has suggested we go for $480 from $380 now. Nice!!!

Ems

It is cranking along now! I have a 3 bedroom fibro that is looking to have the rent go from $350 to $550 at the next lease renewal.

Rooster

Wouldn't happen to be the far end of Cavella Drive in Glen Eden would it BT?

It's an absolute disgrace what they have done to the end of that street.

Rooster

yes that is one of the horrible ares, bit of a shame as that estate had some more established homes and was one of the better ones. during last boom i had a mate buy one for $254k and sell it for $375k in 12 months so he did pretty well out of it, glad he bought elsewhere and did not keep in that street

I've been looking for like a month now, and I'm having trouble finding something in Gladstone. I want to get something asap, but when keeping in mind the 'rules' (what to look for, location etc etc) I keep ruling out potential investments and I'm just worried that the prices will have soared before I even get a chance to own my first IP :(

I've been looking for like a month now, and I'm having trouble finding something in Gladstone. I want to get something asap, but when keeping in mind the 'rules' (what to look for, location etc etc) I keep ruling out potential investments and I'm just worried that the prices will have soared before I even get a chance to own my first IP :(

What are your rules?

They could also be what is holding you back.

Rooster

What are your rules?

They could also be what is holding you back.

Rooster

Things like are they near shops, schools, pubs etc etc, and I'd like a newer house for depreciation + less maintenance, and something around 3/4 bedrooms, w/ 2 bathrooms and at least 1 car port. Things are being sold after being on the market for less than 24 hours!

Guys,

I work on an LNG project at Gladstone and speaking with some of the guys you seriously cant go wrong with Gladstone.

There are multi billion dollar projects locked in for the next 20 years that haven't even began yet.

Next trip up there I'm buying.

HI Tone,

Would you happen to know what types of accomodation is preferred by the miners/mining co's, and also which areas are better than others.

Thank you

Release of the first quarterly housing report for Gladstone

8 August 2011

http://www.deedi.qld.gov.au/cg/resources/Gladstone-Housing-Quarterly-Report.pdf

"LNG project proponents’ progress in implementing integrated housing strategies; and housing market, population and development trend"

Outline of report
This is the first quarterly report on resource projects’ impacts on housing in the Gladstone region and the steps being taken to minimise these impacts.

This first report outlines progress on the following issues:
• collaboration between the LNG industry and government on housing issues, including groundrules and benchmarks for the future development of integrated housing strategies for resource projects
• approval of GLNG’s and QCLNG’s integrated housing strategies for the Gladstone region
• immediate and short-term housing strategies to meet the Coordinator-General’s conditions of approval
• medium- and long-term housing opportunities
• housing market, population and development trends for the Gladstone region, which provide insights into the region’s challenges and opportunities
• data collection and monitoring framework for the Gladstone region.

Housing market, population and development trends
According to the Office of Economic and Statistical Research (OESR)and the Department of Communities’ Gladstone Regional Council—Housing Market Report (May 2011), the Gladstone housing market has experienced changes that are impacting on housing supply, affordability and demand.

The key trends include:
Private rental market
• In the last five years, the private rental market in the Gladstone region has grown by over 1200 dwellings to more than 4700.
• In the same period, the median rent for dwellings in the region has increased by 60 per cent.
• Vacancy rates for private rental dwellings have fallen sharply, to a rate of 1.4 per cent (March 2011).
Home ownership market
• Like the rest of Queensland, the Gladstone region experienced a large decline in sales volumes, however the volumes have increased in the Gladstone locality.
• In the last five years, the median house price in the region has increased by 70 per cent.
Population projections
During the last 10 years, the estimated resident population of the Gladstone
region has grown from 46,369 people to 60,316.
• By 2031, the region’s resident population is expected to number between 93,000 and 123,000 people.

Back