Gladstone QLD - How is it Going????

Yes Flinders St.

The other is an 868 sqm corner block, in South Gladstone.

I just been doing a few searchs on the web for houses. There is a house for sale in Flinders St down near the Auckland creek end for 369K,809m2, under contract... is there areas around Gladstone to be aware of for flooding. I know for brisbane you can do a Floodwise property report. Is there anything like this available for gladstone?

For 369k and being close to the creek im thinking this would be a flood area?

Last edited:
I just been doing a few searchs on the web for houses. There is a house for sale in Flinders St down near the Auckland creek end for 369K,809m2, under contract... is there areas around Gladstone to be aware of for flooding. I know for brisbane you can do a Floodwise property report. Is there anything like this available for gladstone?

For 369k and being close to the creek im thinking this would be a flood area?

Will be doing the due diligence on this, but in the recent Queensland floods, Gladstone was the only town that didn't flood. There is a considerable drop down to the creek, its really not close to housing in the area.

I have a DA currently at Gladstone council for 2 townhouses that I am building on the back of an existing house. I started talking with recommended builders this week and was advised by one that they couldn't start anything new for a year! Plenty of work on at the moment.

Costs are expected to be higher than in main centres, currently allowing about $1600 per sqm, but still to get firm quotes. I expect that my 2 townhouses would take around 8 months to be constructed and the 5 townhouses, around a year to build, once the builder is able to start. In total, from purchase to completing, expecting 18-24 months timeframe.

Hi Mattzn,

I have an existing property of 855sqm on Rossella St, Gladstone (high density zone). I am planning to do a development at the rear but have no idea where to start. Can you please advise.

Thanks heaps

Hi Mattzn,

I have an existing property of 855sqm on Rossella St, Gladstone (high density zone). I am planning to do a development at the rear but have no idea where to start. Can you please advise.

Thanks heaps

Just sent you a private message with my contact details.

Will be doing the due diligence on this, but in the recent Queensland floods, Gladstone was the only town that didn't flood. There is a considerable drop down to the creek, its really not close to housing in the area.

Hi Matt,

I did some checking myself on this and found that with the recent Qld floods the reason why Gladstone didn't get flooded was because the rain did not fall in the Gladstone catchment... it firstly fell North of Gladstone, then a few weeks later South. Lucky! So yep, definitely check out some historical flood maps of the area, and a good geotech report of your land near the creek would be a must.

Cheers
Rob

a quote from the NAB quarterly australian residential property survey sept 2011 (came out today)

"For the fourth consecutive quarter, the harbour town of
Gladstone (Qld) was the most nominated response as
the location expected to grow fastest in terms of capital
values over the next 12 months.

Hi Matt,

I did some checking myself on this and found that with the recent Qld floods the reason why Gladstone didn't get flooded was because the rain did not fall in the Gladstone catchment... it firstly fell North of Gladstone, then a few weeks later South. Lucky! So yep, definitely check out some historical flood maps of the area, and a good geotech report of your land near the creek would be a must.

Cheers
Rob

Are you serious?

Awonga Dam reached it's peak and cleared the spillway for two weeks straight.

Record rainfall for the area.

I can assure you it didn't miss.

Rooster

Gladstone is one of the few major coastal centers which does NOT flood so that alone is a big plus for the town.

Yeah the fishing of late has not been pretty. Pity the guys trying to make a living that way.

I can assure you it did rain here during the Qld floods.

See the below link where Awoonga dam level peaked @ 140% capacity. It ran over for several weeks and peaked at 4m over the spillway.

http://www.gawb.qld.gov.au/damlevels.html

The difference between Gladstone and Rocky / Bundy etc is it doesn't have major rivers that collect water from inland Qld like the Fitzroy / Burnett rivers do.

Matt that is a good find and reflects what I have witnessed in the past.

I know some areas which have flash flooded in the past which are now developed residential areas.

recommended Gladstone Town Planner

We would like to buy a small development block in Gladstone - can anyone recommend a good town planner up there please - or buyers agent/town planner

Went to Gladstone for the first time a couple of weeks ago, learnt a lot about the place and ended up buying a H & L, it really is moving fast there. I'd suggest its not to late to buy there but it will keep moving rapidly over the next 6 months. Have spoken to some people working in construction of gas plants there and they confirm this will be massive.

Last night I helped move some old houses off a development block in the middle of Gladstone. A few more in the same street are being removed in the next couple of days. Out with the old, in with the new. If someone's in the old house finding business then maybe there is some fun to be had.

Back