Gladstone QLD - How is it Going????

Rooster, I think you are right. Just had a good look at prices being advertised at the moment and think a lower listing price is in order. Thanks for the feedback.

off the plan

Hi everyone

I bought 2 units off the plan in the cbd in 2010 one is a penthouse and the other is a sub-penthouse. They are currently under construction and come online in early 2013, the company i purchased them from will guarentee rent for the next 3 years or i can go it alone ???? Any thoughts on this one ? all feedback is most welcome :]

ps; They cost 425k and 495k respectively

Many thanx

Pete

Hi everyone

I bought 2 units off the plan in the cbd in 2010 one is a penthouse and the other is a sub-penthouse. They are currently under construction and come online in early 2013, the company i purchased them from will guarentee rent for the next 3 years or i can go it alone ???? Any thoughts on this one ? all feedback is most welcome :]

ps; They cost 425k and 495k respectively

Many thanx

Pete

Hi Pete

Really depends what rent they are offering?

Cheers
Clint

Well they are offering $550 $585 a week each i know its not much but was thinking long term to ride out all the waves that seem to be happening at min ? They have sister complex in gladstone and they rent for $900 a week , im looking for executives and engineers rather tradesmen to rent to thinking they will always be needed on a consultancy basis ?

Thats not bad, if thats for unfurnished?
If they were furnished they should get more than that.

You could advertise them furnished, for higher prices closer to completion date
and see what interest you get too,

things could and should pick up before early 2013 too, so if it was me I wouldn't
commit to any lease right now.

More from my recent tour of Gladstone, this is Little Creek Estate starting with an overview of the project.

p1050286q.jpg

The western half of the estate is mostly complete, but the eastern part has only recently had access to Kirkwood Road and some civil works done.

Slopes are definitely something you need to be mindful of in Gladstone, unlike other major regional centres in Queensland it is very hilly.

p1050287.jpg

Civil works and the beginning of the first houses on the eastern side of Little Creek getting under way (Stage 12 in the map):

p1050288g.jpg

In a year or so, all you'll see to the left is a sea of houses:

p1050289f.jpg

Next Stop: Vantage, then Forest Springs

I didn't actually get to cover all of the estates in my tour. For a start there are too many to cover, and secondly some of them are still in early stages (and inaccessible). Those I skipped include Oasis (early stage civil works), Riverstone Rise (all the way down near Boyne Island), and Emmadale Gardens (sold out and practically complete).

Now continuing around to the east along Kirkwood Road into the new Vantage estate which sits on its north side. I remember standing at this spot about 6 months ago at the northern end of Kakadu Way (which is the entrance from Kirkwood Road) and it was barely half complete:

p1050290j.jpg

One thing that is considerably better in the newer estates than the ones developed around the GFC is the availability of open space and wetlands which is non-existent in the older ones. The new estates are just as bad as the previous ones in terms of accessibility (driving), however. To get from Vantage (foreground) to the houses at the top of the retaining wall requires a good 3-4km of driving:

p1050291z.jpg

Looking back over the western side:

p1050292i.jpg

p1050293k.jpg

How do 'the normal' non-mining or construction people have afford to rent or buy house in Gladstone anymore or is everyone earning over 6 figure salaries/ wages?

How do 'the normal' non-mining or construction people have afford to rent or buy house in Gladstone anymore or is everyone earning over 6 figure salaries/ wages?

There's plenty of house sharing going on in Gladstone. Not everyone is earning over 6 figures, in fact it's the minority rather than the majority although wages are certainly higher in Gladstone for equivalent jobs than in the major cities (except retail which has faced employment shortages in recent times).

The rental situation here at the moment isn't actually as critical as people make it out to be. It's certainly not a nice place to be at all for the elderly who are retired though.

+1 I fully agree norwoodman. It is also fairly easy to find the share houses as they have 4 or 5 cars on the road out the front. Which makes it difficult in the new estates as the roads aren't as wide as the older estates.
I read somewhere that there is only 15-20% of the working population on 6 figures. I am trying to find the source atm. But this may not include fly-in fly-out as they may not consider Gladstone as their "home" so their wages aren't included.

Edit - The 2011 Census data will be released on October 30. This should give us a better indication of the wages in this area compared to other industrial towns.

Last edited:
+1 I fully agree norwoodman. It is also fairly easy to find the share houses as they have 4 or 5 cars on the road out the front. Which makes it difficult in the new estates as the roads aren't as wide as the older estates.

Most people tend to overlap park on the grass as most homes have quite large front lawns and no front fences in the new estates. I can't see how it would be possible to park in any other way in estates such as Vantage and Forest Springs where some of the streets are more like lanes.

Next estate from my photos, Forest Springs which recently completed civil works on the first stage and is about to commence construction on the first houses.

Feels funny standing in the middle of an empty suburb... those buildings in the background are the newly opened Kirkwood Shopping Centre, which has been open since April:

p1050294v.jpg

It's got everything you need to live! Except houses:

p1050295n.jpg

The boundary with Telina (other side of the creek to the left):

p1050296f.jpg

A little further east along Kirkwood Road near the intersection with Glenlyon Road is the yet to be commenced Stockwood estate, which is a small development with about 150 houses opposite St Stephens Lutheran College in Glen Eden.

That heap of empty land between Glenlyon Road (foreground) and Kirkwood Road (background) is where the estate will sit:

p1050297m.jpg

One of the few cases in Gladstone where future infrastructure needs have been considered in advance - a footpath that currently ends in the middle of nowhere and a signalised intersection with almost no traffic while other intersections are begging to be upgraded!

p1050298h.jpg

DOn't worry mate,

with the help of Government NRAS the investor can or should lower down the rent into 30% lower than the average rent price on the market, so investing in Gladstone is always profitable and give you Cashflow +

Here's some info from PRD

Attachments

• 2012 Aug Gladstone%20Region%20Highlight%20Report%20Q3%202012.ashx.pdf
    808.2 KB · Views: 179
Back