Going to Thailand

Hi!

We're going to Phuket! It's our first ever time overseas so we're looking forward to it. I know its a good idea to get vaccinated, but we can't be bothered and it's an extra unwanted expense also. What are your thoughts?

Hi!

We're going to Phuket! It's our first ever time overseas so we're looking forward to it. I know its a good idea to get vaccinated, but we can't be bothered and it's an extra unwanted expense also. What are your thoughts?
I'm heading there next Friday for a couple of weeks.

The local expats will tell you it's fine to go without. But for peace of mind, you should probably get hep a/b and a typhoid shot. It's an added expense, but just like travel insurance, if you can't afford it, then you can't afford to travel.

Cheers

Jamie

Worth it for the main ones they recommend I reckon. For Thailand we had the Typhoid, Hep, and Tetanus booster shot I think.

To me it's value for money, minimising the risk of catching something that could be awful if you are unlucky, and you don't need to get it repeated if you decide travel more later on.

Heads up, not phuket but

Emergency Message to U.S. Citizens: Possible Terrorist Threat

January 13, 2012

This message alerts U.S. citizens in Thailand that foreign terrorists may be currently looking to conduct attacks against tourist areas in Bangkok in the near future. U.S. citizens are urged to exercise caution when visiting public areas where large groups of Western tourists gather in Bangkok.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/011312emergencymessage.html

Worth it for the main ones they recommend I reckon. For Thailand we had the Typhoid, Hep, and Tetanus booster shot I think.
Yep, I forgot about the tetanus booster. Grab that one as well.

The hep a/b generally gives you coverage for 10 years and typhoid will last 3 years.

When I popped into my GP in Queanbeyan last week for a typhoid shot he sent me to the pharmacy with a script. I waited a few minutes, my name was called out and I took my typhoid injection to the counter to pay. The girl looked up, looked down, then looked up and said "five dollars thanks."

I thought it was a bit too cheap but didn't think too much of it. I walked outside, looked at the receipt and it was for methodone :eek:.......I took it back to my GP who laughed and told me I just saved $50....and my little parcel was in fact a typhoid injection. Moral of the story - grab your Typhoid injections from Qbn amcal :)

Cheers

Jamie

Thailand can be extremely dangerous.

Watch out for Russian Mafia, Thai Mafia, rabid dogs, foreigners on motorbikes, tattoos, over the counter medication, ladyboys, royalists, oppresive laws (clicking like on a facebook page outside of thailand could lead to a 15 year gaol term in thailand), police, customs and doctors.

Other than that it is a great place.

I have had staff with Typhoid while working in Indo. Not fun !

If you have house or car insurance you understand the concept of vaccination.........

ta

rolf

I think you are crazy to not consider vaccination, it is a third world country.

When my kids were little I only ever got them vaccinated at the state's head office for vaccination run by the health department. Free, and they do vaccinate adults for travel vaccinations. I know there was a small fee for some of them. One stop shopping, check it out in your state.

I was in Bangkok December '10.

I had a full mouth/teeth refurbishment. 14 root canals, 14 extractions, 6 implants and 21 new crowns.

I have to go back and get my last 7 crowns - just havent had time the last few months.

Eye opener!

pinkboy

Go to a GP- don't go to a "travel doctor".

My daughter went to one of those in Brisbane- she was recommended a fair few vaccines. It cost her hundreds- and half of them were not necessary- and they were the expensive ones. She was on a tight budget, and that hurt.

I was in Thailand (Bangkok+Pattaya) in Sep a few months ago just before the floods,

loved it (2nd time) to thailand) since then ive met so many aussies that have been recently and want to go back desperately,

its a pretty cool place, Love it,

jetstar have flights for under $500 return when on special (from VIC),

I keep an eye out for those ones!

Take some immodium in case you get "the runs". Friends were there a month ago. Parents got the runs, kids didn't. All ate same food. You don't want to be looking for appropriate medication - take it with you.

Get your vaccinations.

I've been to Thailand several times. It's a wonderful place, just don't hang out where you see tourists getting drunk and picking up underage hookers, it's just nasty.

I think the vaccinations your talking about are pretty handy no matter where you are. third world country or not you can pick up Hepatitis in Australia just as easy.

Thailand is a wonderful country.

Enjoy

Lived at patong, phuket for 8 months.. I lived near one of the sheds that make the streetfood. Trust me you wanna get shots, the meat skewers where blanketed with flies, go to busier looking eateries. Don't ride the jet skis, they always scam people by saying that you broke the jet ski and have to pay for it to get fixed. Happened to me when I first got there. Don't argue with thais, in fact just don't get involved with them. They are awesome people, although in the tourist areas there are many predators looking for your money. Keep a low profile and stay in the busier streets and you'll be fine. Other than that it's a crazy party/holiday place with loads of opportunity for fun!

Back