Going to Thailand

I just checked again this morning and One Star (I mean Jetstar :p) have fares in June to Phuket in the low $300's one way.
We're going with Onestar - I think it was $800 return. We landed a decent accomodation deal though - 9 nights for a two bedroom/two bathroom villa with private pool for 4 adults for $990 in total. My wife found it on living social about 6 months ago. Hopefully the place is as good as the promo pics :confused:

Cheers

Jamie

btw: I don't and wouldn't bother with shots.

Seeing as Hepatitis A and (particularly) Hepatitis B are endemic to Asia - you'd be mad not to have a booster shot if you haven't had a recent one. Just because it isn't fatal doesn't mean you should run the risk of infection.

btw: I don't and wouldn't bother with shots.

This is coming from a man that also does not get pest & / or building reports done on properties he intends to bid for at auction either! :eek:

I'm like most men I suppose. You'd only find me at a Doctor's if I was close to death's door. The prospect of having needles inserted into my body does not do much for me, but I'd prefer it to the possible alternative.

What I think is interesting is the number of people who live in Thailand (well over our population) who are old and grey and never heard of a vaccination. It's probably the poor immune systems of westerners as many Thais live well into old age eating the food from the street, drinking the local water and occasionally getting sick but no more so than us. In fact westerners are some of the sickest people around. Just look at most people's waistlines and its like an episode of telly tubbies.

What I think is interesting is the number of people who live in Thailand (well over our population) who are old and grey and never heard of a vaccination.

I believe they have grown up with the "bugs" that are local to them and their immune systems are used to it.

Along we come, with our different "bugs" and their bugs upset our systems.

Same thing happened when Australia was settled apparently.

What to expect in upper rural Thailand

There are beautiful flowers, verdant forest and lots of rats (more so in wooden houses) and dogs. :eek:

Attachments

• Mice do cooker.jpg
    Mice do cooker.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 59
Thailand has many western expats with no health problems.

I believe they have grown up with the "bugs" that are local to them and their immune systems are used to it.

Along we come, with our different "bugs" and their bugs upset our systems.

Same thing happened when Australia was settled apparently.

I've stayed in Thailand for extended periods and stayed in some out of the way locations in the 'jungles', I was even a monk for a while there. I have only been sick once and that was from eating food in a restaurant in bangkok.

The things to look out for are hepatitis which you can get from sexual and non sexual activity, tetnus - from rusty metal, rabies from dog bites etc. There are heaps of dogs around and most do not pose a problem, but some do and you could be bitten. So getting shots is good. Malaria is not really a problem there and I have never taken any tablets etc.

The main dangers are non medical I think. Accidents are a serious problem. I would suggest you never ride a motorbike there, or even drive a car. Police are a real problem too. Expect to pay bribes - although it would be an offence in Australia to bribe a foreign official. If you get into any trouble just pay up asap. One mate go into trouble for putting a cigarette out ina flower pot and was arrested - he quickly paid the 500B fine and was let go. If he didn't he would have been arrested and taken to the police station and made to wait while they processed it for hours, and still would have been fined anyway.

Prostitution is rampant. If you want to participate then be careful. Drugs are also very common and best to steer clear. The prostitution side is interesting and even if you are not into it it can be good to go have a look at Patpong in Bangkok. Its a real eye opener.:eek:

There are also a lot of weird westerners there. Any criminal on the run appears to head for Pattaya - which is one big brothel with sand. There are heaps of Russians there now, bikies, gangs of ATM theives, tattooed bald guys etc. Amazing place, but best to stay away I think as there are heaps of better places.

And do not comment about the royal family there as you can be easily arrested and sent to prison for up to 15 years - there is many recent cases including and american citizen who translated parts of a book about the King (published by Yale university press too) which is banned in Thailand. He arrived in the country and was arrested and jailed for 15 years. The King is 84 years old and when he dies there are going to be huge issues - see the recent happenings in North Korea.

Thanks everyone for their replies, my wife (unbeknowns to me) went to the docs yesterday and they told her 'Don't worry about it, you're just as likely to catch about as much here as you would there' Malaria isn't really a problem as long as you're not trekking through the jungles, and it's dengue fever that is of a little concern, but about as much as ross river from our mozzies. Also said to use your brain when you eat the food, you're just as likely to get a crappy kebab at Nightcliff markets on a Sunday.

So thats what the doc said. We'll roll with it as we were thinking. I also know a few people who told me the same thing.

Exactly InvestorOne. Looking at the cleanliness of some takeaways in Sydney you are just as likely to get hepatitis from those establishments than in Thailand. People worry oh so much. Been to huge parts of Asia many times and never had hepatitis, dengue, malaria or any other disease despite not having vaccinations. Eat well, healthy food with lots of spices and exercise and you should be fine. Maybe my immune system is better than others.

I wouldn't be getting Hep B. It's transmitted via blood or body fluid, so unless your getting needles or having sex, it's unnecessary. Still not quite sure why every baby is vaccinated for Hep B before they step out of the hospital. I know my baby wasn't going to be crawling across a needle, so completely unnecessary.

I wouldn't be getting Hep B. It's transmitted via blood or body fluid, so unless your getting needles or having sex, it's unnecessary. Still not quite sure why every baby is vaccinated for Hep B before they step out of the hospital. I know my baby wasn't going to be crawling across a needle, so completely unnecessary.

I thinks it's more for cases where you/baby have a cut or wound of some type that can come into contact with say spit or old blood or something like that that may be on a door handle or in babies case the floor or other object you/they come into contact with.

I thinks it's more for cases where you/baby have a cut or wound of some type that can come into contact with say spit or old blood or something like that that may be on a door handle or in babies case the floor or other object you/they come into contact with.

The Hepatitis virus' live in open air for some time and you can get it from things other than sex and needles, ie. sharing a toothbrush or razors.

Agree however the highest risk is not to babies/children unless the parents have Hep or are at increased risk.

The main reason for having it done as babies is so you don't double up in going to get shots - most parents get their childrens shots done as babies.

SA has a program that 'catches' the ones that haven't had the shots, in year 8.

Edit: should be in response to Delilah's post.

Back