Gold Coast?

Hello,

Can anyone give me some thoughts about Gold Coast? We are looking into one suburb in particular called Ashmore.

Do you reckon Gold Coast area has potential to grow in regards of CG? How is it compared to other parts of QLD?

Property itself is located 2 km from surfers paradise beach, close to schools, golf course etc..

Any input is really appreciated...

Regards,
Ernest

Hi Ernest
We looked seriously at Ashmore about six years ago and thought it held potential for growth.We also liked the area for it's location and aspect. There were a couple of issues that came up as we started researching the houses in the area.
1. Pests like white ants are a magor problem and have to be kept in check. regular inspections are required.
2. at that time it was encouraged by agents for the owner to pay to have the lawns and gardens maintained and also swimming pools as their experience with tenants was that they tended to let these things go. this added to the costs of holding the properties over time.
On the upside of that trade and mainenance costs are reasonable because of the healthy competition amoung trades.
We ended up buying a unit(brick and steel in a small block of twelve on the beach) down on the southern Gold coast at Bilinga. In that six years it has over trippled in value and has proven to be a great investment although the holding costs were still quite high. Trade costs are around 50% lower than down here in Sydney or Canberra.

Good energy to you in your search for a good investment.
Simon

thanks for your reply simonjulie!

Didn't know about white ants thing, thanks heaps for warning.

We are looking into townhouse which is selling for $292 and is currently renting for $350, rent expires December this year. So it's ~6% return, not too bad I think?

Townhouse itself is in a complex which has swimming pool, tennis court, locked gates and on site manager. So I guess it should be looked after?

I believe that townhouses will typically have CG less than houses. Watch the body corporate fees - this and rates will really reduce that return. Also, with townhouses, there can be a lot on the market at the same time - more competition if and when you want to sell.
Also, I think the termite issue is quite widespread in QLD, and not geographically focused on Ashmore.

piNoob, simonjulie

White ants are a fact of life anywhere in Queensland! Just make sure that you have a thorough pest inspection before purchase.

We have our properties treated with a chemical barrier (needs to be done every 5 years) and inspected annually for $150, this includes insurance of up to $100K if the little devils subsequently invade. A small price to pay for peace of mind, methinks!

As others have said, watch the BC fees - secure estates, swimming pools etc all add considerably to BC fees.

Cheers
LynnH

Correction: Pest inspection was $150, insurance an additional $100. Sorry :(

Last edited:
thanks guys!

I have all fees listed so shouldn't be any surprises..

What about Gold Cost area in general? Do you think it has future potential?

As it will be our first IP, naturally we want good CG growth to enable buy us more etc..

I like townhouse for first IP as it is cheaper and should rent better as well? Later on we can buy houses, look into development etc, but for now we need to do first step :)

Ok, I did not mean by my post that white ants were area specific.:)
The problem at that time when we were looking it did seem like every house we looked at had been treated at one time or another for those pesky little critters. Some of the damage was horriffic.
Cheers
Simon

Simon - I know you didn't. :) People DO tend to be put off, and, yes, the damage can be horrific - but if you've got a good pest inspector and building inspector and/or know what you are doing, it can also be a very good negotiating tool!

Cheers
LynnH

People DO tend to be put off, and, yes, the damage can be horrific - but if you've got a good pest inspector and building inspector and/or know what you are doing, it can also be a very good negotiating tool!

We used to be concerned about white ants when first starting out, but now completely ignore them. The clauses that you typically see in Purchase Contracts are worded such that they are "walk away" clauses, not argy bargy clauses. That is, if you come up against a savvy Vendor, he'll likely tell you "So what....are you proceeding or pulling out...your choice". By this stage you are a fair way down the sales track, having done all of your research, selected the property, concluded negotiating the price and just working through the clauses until going unconditional. She'd be a brave Purchaser to tell the Vendor to get stuffed and walk away.....especially given some typical numbers. If you are buying a 400 or 500K prop, how much are you talking about in terms of damage ?? maybe a 1 or 2K...is that worth chucking the whole contract down the toilet and starting all over....dunno....how much is your time worth ??

Of course, if the block value of the property is far more, then of course the white ants become even more insignificant.

We bought a rundown shed complex 2 years ago without a white ant clause, and discovered massive white ant damage, 2 humungous nests and a whole bunch more. Got a guy in, sprayed the lot, still wouldn't give a guarantee, as they never do, and repaired the damage. Total bill came to 0.1% of the price. Not worth arguing about, especially if you like the dirt and don't want to lose the deal.

I've seen some great deals go down the toilet when the purchaser was horrified at $ 600 worth of damage and a few active white ants....oh well.

White ants little buggars they are. 3 out of the four properties i have owned in qld have had em. But Ashmore it self has lots of room for gentrification its been like a sleepy subburb. Go for it. If you hold it long enough it wont really matter where you buy,

Back