Goods & Services that Have Risen in Price Due to The Carbon Tax

Just to clarify retailers pay tariffs to generators not the other way around... the only people generators pay are their suppliers, coal and gas companies and the ATO.
Big deal! The RETAILERS pay the cost and pass it on. Thanks for the correction. I would hate to live in error.

You're incorrigible HE.

BTW the transmission companies on the east coast are generally gold plating their networks.

What you say is the exact opposite of what I said. I have no skin in the game, you on the other hand, want to change the system for your own personal advantage.

Believe this guy at you peril.

You're incorrigible HE.

What you say is the exact opposite of what I said. I have no skin in the game, you on the other hand, want to change the system for your own personal advantage.

Believe this guy at you peril.

What are you talking about now Sunfish? For absolute full disclosure, yet again, it has been well over a year since I last was involved in wind farm developments. Since then I have been helping people build gas turbines, diesel and gas engines and transmission lines and substations. And even if I was a shill for renewable energy companies, what on earth has that got to do with whether transmission companies are gouging the market?

The truth is that what you said is wrong. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about, as proven by your continual basic mistakes. And you don't like being called on the facts.

The AER and the AEMC, if you have any idea who they are (and if you don't why are you even commenting on this subject?), have both acknowledged the problems with the regulation system for network companies and the discrepancy between state and private owned network investment is extremely well known in the industry. I'm not saying anything remotely controversial - just the very basics. Private network companies are generally over investing to maximise profits (it's how the incentive works) while govt network companies, depending on the state, can often under invest when their state treasury decides they need the money for something else.

And I agreed with your point that prior to that under investment was the norm and we are playing catch up. This is the overwhelming issue in the WA market, for example.

If you would stop playing the man and start actually looking for the ball, it would help us all immensely in establishing the facts.

BTW you're wrong on the 95% thing as well, or at the very least calling it something it isn't. Distribution network reliability standards are way above 95% of the time. They're measured on both outage frequency and duration anyway. I haven't got time to look up the real number for you though but why do you fabricate numbers like this?

Last edited:
The truth is that what you said is wrong. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about, as proven by your continual basic mistakes. And you don't like being called on the facts.
More than you think.

As I have said, I am not talking my book, I'm retired.

YOU, on the other hand have the strangest attitude I have ever heard. I am trying to prevent others believing your crap.

More than you think.

As I have said, I am not talking my book, I'm retired.

YOU, on the other hand have the strangest attitude I have ever heard. I am trying to prevent others believing your crap.

What is my book that I am talking? I make my money in the power industry for sure but lately my vested interest is far more in the fossil side. How does that make me biased?

And where exactly am I wrong? You're doing an absolutely terrible job of proving me wrong if that's your aim.

Nothing worse....

There's nothing worse than two normally reasonably chaps, both passionate about a certain subject, going toe to toe in an attempt to tear each other apart.

I am guilty of this behaviour as well.

It doesn't reflect kindly on either of the chaps.

You are both well read, knowledgable and interested in the subject.

This anonymous forum medium really does suck.

There's nothing worse than two normally reasonably chaps, both passionate about a certain subject, going toe to toe in an attempt to tear each other apart.

I am guilty of this behaviour as well.

It doesn't reflect kindly on either of the chaps.

You are both well read, knowledgable and interested in the subject.

This anonymous forum medium really does suck.

Don't be too hard on yourself Dazz - or Ev.

We all realise it's an anonymous forum, and we can safely say things without getting a glass in the eye.

It's not the glass in the eye which is the problem; it's the spilled beer.

It should all be taken with that in mind.

I don't take offense to anyone who slags me here, and I've copped a lot.

It's all good and broadens the views.

$60 a year only
so where is the rest of the 80% hike gone in the last 2 years

The capital expenditure and operational expenditure of the power distribution companies is regulated. Basically the companies make proposals to the regulator and after some negotiation a final determination is made.

FYGI the Victorian electricity distribution network service providers distribution final determination for the 2011–2015 period is available here.
http://www.aer.gov.au/sites/www.aer.gov.au/files/Victorian%20distribution%20determination%20final%20decision%202011-2015%20%2829%20October%202010%29_1.pdf
Increased expenditure on transmission infrastructure was agreed on to avoid power blackouts for those few hours of the year when people turn on those now cheap airconditioners that people have been buying.
As a result of the bushfire Royal Commission more money had to be spent to address their recommendations. I think it involved vegetation clearing programs, not sure.
The previously mentioned Smart Meter rollout.
Subsidies paid to those householders installing Solar pv and solar hot water are recouped from all electricity users.
Insurance premium rises and the list goes on.
IIRC the rises should have peaked by now and should taper off in the future.

Although I was watching Insiders this morning and George Megalogenis predicted that Child Care and Education expenses will be the next area of double digit % cost increases that will assault the family budget as electricity increases taper off.

The capital expenditure and operational expenditure of the power distribution companies is regulated. Basically the companies make proposals to the regulator and after some negotiation a final determination is made.

FYGI the Victorian electricity distribution network service providers distribution final determination for the 2011–2015 period is available here.
http://www.aer.gov.au/sites/www.aer.gov.au/files/Victorian%20distribution%20determination%20final%20decision%202011-2015%20%2829%20October%202010%29_1.pdf
Increased expenditure on transmission infrastructure was agreed on to avoid power blackouts for those few hours of the year when people turn on those now cheap airconditioners that people have been buying.
As a result of the bushfire Royal Commission more money had to be spent to address their recommendations. I think it involved vegetation clearing programs, not sure.
Subsidies paid to those householders installing Solar pv and solar hot water are recouped from all electricity users.
Insurance premium rises and the list goes on.
IIRC the rises should have peaked by now and should taper off in the future.

Although I was watching Insiders this morning and George Megalogenis predicted that Child Care and Education expenses will be the next area of double digit % cost increases that will assault the family budget as electricity increases taper off.

that is my point that there ARE other charges for the increases
lets not all blame carbon tax for every thing that goes up
I am not a carbon tax admirer BUT lets tell it like it is

that is my point that there ARE other charges for the increases
lets not all blame carbon tax for every thing that goes up
I am not a carbon tax admirer BUT lets tell it like it is

I don't mind paying the higher electricity prices if were getting something for it as shown in Crabnet's post below, I'm fine with this and this should be done to keep an efficient good working & safe system. However my beef with the Carbon Tax Scam is we pay extra....but for what????

Originally Posted by Crabnet

It seems many have fallen for the Julia spin. She was careful not to design something which would have an immediate impact on "the working people".

Not being Australian she is well aware of an Australian trait: I'm allright Jack! While the majority will do OK and if they are good little green labor supporters, feel good about any cost, there are growing numbers who are losing their jobs, or feel threatened. The threatened jobs ARE NOT in mining. They are closer to home, possibly your tenants.

I don't mind paying the higher electricity prices if were getting something for it as shown in Crabnet's post below, I'm fine with this and this should be done to keep an efficient good working & safe system. However my beef with the Carbon Tax Scam is we pay extra....but for what????

So what do you think of your PM accusing the distribution companies of "gold plating" their systems? Bit tough if preventing fires is gold plating.

BTW I also think it is worth paying for a reliable system.

So what do you think of your PM accusing the distribution companies of "gold plating" their systems? Bit tough if preventing fires is gold plating.

BTW I also think it is worth paying for a reliable system.

Apparently the Premiers were the ones that brought it up at the last COAG meeting. Perhaps they were flummoxed when after the event the PM agreed with them and took up the cause for political gain. The Coalition Premiers can't be seen agreeing with the PM now, can they?

Meanwhile... while everyone was arguing on Somersoft, not many were caring about it in the outside world.

Wasn't this suppose to destroy our economy or something?

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 47
Back