Government Requirement for Asbestos Management Plan

Hi

I would appreciate some feedback from other formites on this matter.

I have been informed by Strata that Government legislation requires that an Abestos Management report be obtained for a block of units in which I have an I/P.

I now have the report, and asbestos has been detected in the fire doors.

The fire doors were recently installed in the block to comply with Council regulations.

The Asbesos report now requires "sampling of the doors", "return visit to label asbestos containing material", "asbestos register", "asbestos management plan", and a small lockable cabinet in to be installed in the common area for holding the register for use by any tradesman doing repairs in the block.

Has anyone experienced this Government legislation which I suspect is OH&S legislation being used as a beat up.

I would be very interested in any comments/ advice.

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony

I recently posted on the same subject

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78702

I haven't seen the report as yet but no doubt the plebs who attend the meeting would have agreed to get a report like the good little lambs they are.

Interesting the see that the new fire doors have asbestos. This would I imagine be just about be impossible as if they are made in Aust asbestos can not be obtained..

But maybe if some of the components for the doors come from OS then that is a real concern.

Personally I think it's a beat up by the Strata management fraternity with some major ***-cover going on at the BC expense (but that's just cynical me).

Cheers

How recent were the firedoors installed?

Do you have any recourse against the manufacturer? You may have review the quotes to confirm the doors meet the Australian standards which excludes asbestos.

The recent changes to the ohs act require an asbestos survey of the common areas etc.

Hi, interesting topic on Asbestos Management Plan for unit/common properties.

How about asbestos in older houses. Most houses I saw recently have at least garage made out of asbestos or part of garage made of asbestos. Some have external asbestos walls broken and exposed the insulation material inside.

What are the curent rules on it for NSW? Where can I find the best & comprehensive info for NSW? CAn anyone provide link to it or to any older posting on the topics?

Anyone knows what the future role may be?

I have searched some info on asbestos - mostly about removal or containment/consealement.
Thanks MKP

Either check out the workcover.nsw.gov.au website or any of the removal or hygienist websites. All have links to the working with asbestos regs.

There is no requirement to remove asbestos from dwellings if it is in a safe condition

Back