Government to introduce 2.25% Levy on Sale of Investment ppty's

forrestd said:
really?

I can't find that clause in the budget statement.

you're talking about the sale 2.25% levy?

Straight from Carr's statement to the Speaker on abolishing stamp duty for first home buyers:

"There will be a complete exemption for homes costing up to $500 000, with the concession phasing out between $500 000 and $600 000"

Timbo

Well,

it will be DAMN interesting to see where this goes - I for one am not suprised and think our taxes are going to get worse before better. I have read that:

- 20 years ago 18 taxpayers per 1 welfare recipient
- today 6 taxpayers per 1 welfare recipient
- 2020 1 taxpayer per welfare recipient

I know in 1989 our welfare budget was around 30% GDP, in 2003 it was close to 45%.

Even if the above is not totally accurate it sure highlights a trend IMHO

So does this new tax mean:

1) suddenly new home buyer's affordability improves
2) sale of IP's incurring the sale levy decreases
3) rents go up to dampen effect of land tax
4) the above impacts demand and supply of NSW sub $500k
5) these prices go up

???????????
Oh sorry, forgot, silly me, then Carr takes credit for fixing up Howards/Costello's tax grab mistakes?

Oh well wot can ye say..........

Timbo

geoffw said:
A bit difficult- rental levels are a function of demand and supply. Taxes may change the supply equation slightly- but it probably won't change the demand much (unless potential renters get lured by paying no stamp duty- that may be a real problem).

Hi Geoff,

I did say "what the market would bare".... but I really wonder whether this is going to generate some REALLY fundamental changes in NSW Property Investment.

Rental Yields(especially in Sydney etc) have been dropping to such low levels that no one in their right mind would buy an investment property for these ridiculous returns. Capital growth (with a barely acceptable level of tax) has been what has kept things going.

If we are to assume that much of the market has peaked and that we can expect somewhat subdued Capital Growth in the next couple of years, I really wonder whether these tax changes will be the 'last nail in the coffin' for some property investors. Although they're even trying to nail the door shut with the exit Stamp Duty. :(

A reduction in property investors will obviously affect supply and send up rents. What will cause it I'm not exactly sure, but current Rental Yields are not sustainable in the long term. Something has to give and this may well be it.

Time will tell.

:)

Aceyducey said:
Spark,

I note that you personally rent. Are you also one of the investors you reckon has been 'seduced and trapped' by the government? Or have you managed to avoid the trap by not holding any IPs?
Acey,
As I mentioned earlier, I'm a newcomer to this country, so please apply a great degree of caution to any of my local unexperienced analyses :). About my traps, I had avoided some but in a different situation and in a different place.
There are some flaws in your Citibank example
There must be
you should consider - tax on interest, banks fees & charges - which make that $86K less than $50K in practice.
How about the tax, council rates, agent fees & maintanence expenses on that 31K from rent? And, BTW, there are no bank fees. 86K after tax is 58.7K
AND you don't buy the property in Mosman by paying the entire $1.6M!!!!! You use leverage to buy at 1:20 (95% lend).
But then one should borrow 1.52Mil, that is repayments of 2046 pw IO @7%, 106.5K pa for "renting" that money from the bank!
Do the numbers a bit deeper & you'll find that even at 3-5% annual capital growth over the next 10 years, owning in Mosman using the leverage (even at 60%) is significantly better than putting cash in bank.

That is, if there is growth. And if not?

Now let's look from another angle, hypothetically: Your investor pays 106.5K pa interest for "renting" the cash FROM the bank in that proposed 1:20 leverage. The cashed up tenant gets 82K pa for letting the above mentioned sum TO the bank, that is roughly 56.5k after taxes. He pays the landlord 31K for living in a well maintained property, all expenses included, and still gets his 25.5K change.

What do we have here? - The tenant lives "for free", plus gets 25.5K (after tax) from his leveraged landlord, plus any risks of market fluctuations and illiquidity are on the landlord. What do you think of this? :cool: :)

Heres one part of the Budget Release that jumped out at me as being patently absurd, and doesnt seem to have been mentioned yet (regarding the 2.25% sale levy) ...

To ensure that only property profits are being taxed, properties will be exempt from the duty where the vendors sale price does not exceed 12 per cent of their original purchase price...

So, in other words, to avoid the levy you need to have bought a house for 200k and sold it for less than 24k...

Or...

If you bought a property for 200k, but due to some unforseen circumstance were forced to sell it for 150k, not only would you lose 50k of your original investment, you would also be liable for a sale levy of $3,375...

Im hoping this is a mistake... Any thoughts?

Jamie.

Last edited:
hi jamie,

interesting pt you raise.

when i first read the summary earlier today, i took it to mean 112% of the original cost. 12% is absurd and cannot be serious. recall something about them phasing out this break at 15% (ie, 115% by my reckoning).

julie

Hi Julie,

I agree, and am hoping its a misprint in the release.

The quote, however, was lifted verbatim from the speech, so maybe our esteemed leader got it wrong (wont hold my breath for an apology though :) )

Jamie.

I am not so sure that its all bad news.

Investors don't have to sell.
The government will probably find that they are not able to raise the 690mil.
because investors won't sell.

The new measures will probably stop speculators from getting into
property. The serious investors will still invest.

It seems that we will have a shortage of property after July and thats
likely to push prices up.

Properties below 500K will now be even more affordable and they will be in
demand. Perhaps now its the time to snap up a few cheapies before they go
up. :D

The new land tax is a problem for those previously excempt but its all tax
deductible anyway. I don't mind paying 50% of the 04% in land tax for an
extra capital gain of lets say 5%?

I can see a Shortage of rental properties in the future.
That shortage is likely to push rents up. :)

cheers

spark said:
What do you think of this? :cool: :)
Caution is one thing Spark, but there's a difference between caution & ignorance!

I think you need to do a lot more work to understand property :)

'If there is any growth'....

Well look at the key indicators & trends over the last 30+ years - you can expect house prices in Sydney to double in 7-8 years (per last 4 cycles).

Let's say this cycle is extended due to the extended boom - to 10 years.

That means that over 10 years your $1.6M property increases in value to $3.2M - and keep in mind that you carefully selected this property after quite a bit of research, we're not throwing darts at a map here.

NOW not that many property investors buy one $1.6M property as their portfolio anyway - however I'll run with it because you seem fairly deadset on this level of investment.

So you make 160K profit per year from CG - PLUS your rental income of $31K (hmm - dunno how you work this one out either, but it still works) - we'll even say that rents don't change for 10 years (and that interest rates don't change to be fair). Let's say it costs you $100K on top of this per year to hold - Government subsidies half of this via negative geating & you pay $50K per year out of your pocket...

Thus your profit per annum is cut right back to an averaged $110K per year.

This is NOT taxed unless you sell the property....if you do sell you pay 50% in CGT, walking away with $800K.....

Now let's look at your Cash at Bank - oh dear, the property profit AFTER tax is quite a bit more than the $567K (10x your Citibank figure...which is using tax rates assuming it's your sole income) you get for keeping the money in the bank - assuming these interest rates remain stable as well & they don't introduce any fees in that period.

But I've forgotten compounding - that would make your bank interest over 10 years a grand total of $963K...but you have to then pay tax each year - assuming it ISN'T your sole income you only walk away with $510K at the end of ten years...hmm worse than your no-other-income figure.

Of course, you don't need to pay the $800K in CGT to the government anyway - you can simply hold the asset & drawdown on your equity - either to buy other assets or to buy a tax-free income stream, such as an annuity.

Even if you do decide to sell, you can carry losses over (assuming you're a smart investor & buying via a Hybrid Unit Trust to allow both loss carries & negative gearing) and significantly reduce the tax you pay anyway.

So in your example Spark, property is far and away the better investment.

Spark if you've got a serious intention to invest in property you'd do well to read this forum some more and invest some time reading some good property books.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Jamie said:
To ensure that only property profits are being taxed, properties will be exempt from the duty where the vendors sale price does not exceed 12 per cent of their original purchase price..
Jamie.

Jamie/Alpina
Its late in the night but to me it seems like they won't be taxing you if you
are not having a gain of more than 12% on an IP.

cheers

Last edited:
Hi all

Well the Labour government has now actually helped the rich for change :)

Firstly everybody who had ips in a trust will benefit as the their land tax bill will be cut considerably. :)

Now let's consider an investor who has 20Mil worth of ips in a trust :

Previously he was paying 20 000 000 x 1.7% = 340 000 per year

Now he is paying
400 000 x 0.4% = 1600
100 000 x 0.6% = 400
19 500 000 x 1.4% = 273 000

Total of 275 000 per year that's a saving of 65 000 per year

Now let's go a step further. Let's say he has 20 x 1Mil ips in 20 different trusts

Previously it would have been the same 340 000 per year.

But now it's
400 000 x 0.4% = 1600
100 000 x 0.6% = 400
500 000 x 1.4% = 7000

That's 9000 for each ip so a total of 9000 x 20 = 180 000

That's a great saving of 160 000. That's almost HALF his previous land tax bill.

I like this labour government. :)

Regards

Investor :)

PS. It's late and my figures may be totally wrong, please correct them if they are. :D

Lplate said:
Hi
But this will push up prices because buyers can afford more. Lplate

Are you sure about that, esp considering the affordability rate is incredibly low atm. People are up to their necks paying off a loan.

Sure, homes are cheap compared to the UK, HK, Japan, etc but compare the population vs land. Australia is over priced.

dantheman said:
Australia risks becoming a banana republic once again if the government keep on wittering away at the small rewards of those who have the discipline to make the sacrifice to lifestyle that is investment. By investment I dont just mean money I mean time, study, education as well. When the time comes to reap the reward for your effort the time also comes to put your hand in your pocket big time for the government. (especially compared to Australia).

Hehe Dantheman,
You have hit the nail on the head! The very govt that supposedly "encourages" us to be independent and save for our own retirement (rather than rely on the pension) through investment vehicles has penalized us for the privilege. They are using our education and motivation against us. Then again, we are all able to "afford" this, so we should suffer shouldn't we?
*Jax goes and buries her head in her Capitalist Pig manual again *

My reading of that wording is that you only pay the levy if you stand to make more than 12% on purchase price.

If bought for $200K, sold for $223,999 no sale stamp duty.

If bought for $200K, sold for $224,001, sale stamp duty about $5,000.

np2003 said:
Sure, homes are cheap compared to the UK, HK, Japan, etc but compare the population vs land. Australia is over priced.
A lot of that apparent bulk is desert NP2003, and a lot more of it has inadequate services to support even moderate populations :)

I prefer to think of Australia as lots of islands of population connected by long roads.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

In this mornings SMH, one of our forum members ROSSV features on page 7.
Ross says his rentals will need to increase by 10% to cover this new land tax - and he probably sell at least one property as a result.
Ross is right - these taxes are over the top.
Fancy making you pay 2.25% on the whole amount!!!! - rather that the capital gain which would have been a slightly fairer way of doing it.
So basically, some principles will become even more relevant from now on for the serious property investors -
1/Hold in different trusts to minimise land tax per year.
2/Use your equity and NEVER sell.

I wonder if the new levy will have any affect on Agents selling fees...

Now on the sale of a 500k property, not only do you have the 25% CGT levied on the profits, and the agents $12k+ selling fee (approx 2.5%), now you have the additional 2.25% sale levy (another $11k+)

I wonder if this will spark a new bidding war between agents to secure the dwindling number of investors selling properties due to the new levy.

If this additional levy is coming out of each and every sale, will agents be forced to drop their fees?

Jamie.

This Government is not totally stupid.

By getting a grip on land tax with no threshold provides them with a steady income stream regardless of the property cycle. Boom or bust they get their dollars.

It also appears that there is no allowance for indexation in the proposed legislation, thus land values will increase and ultimately the $300K land will become $450K in a few years and into the next bracket.

Rents will have to increase to cover the impost on the investor.

The worst affected will be the battler (who rents) and the self funded retiree with 1 or 2 IPs that cannot carry the land tax burden in the short term.

The main advantage is for those that have IPs in Disc/HDT as overall they will pay less land tax.

The initiatives for the first home buyer are great, however the cost of the stamp duty on sale will be ultimately borne by the purchaser which may well include these people anyway.

Most sellers not forced to sell, know how much they want in their hand after agent fees etc. This stamp duty will become a function of the sale price and may well force prices up.

This reinforces the strategy of buy and hold for the long long term.
Nick M

perky29 said:
So basically, some principles will become even more relevant from now on for the serious property investors -
1/Hold in different trusts to minimise land tax per year.
2/Use your equity and NEVER sell.

how will holding in different trusts minimise land tax per year? Its my understanding that under this new policy, that the tax will be applied to individual properties rather than the sum of the properties, probably with the aim of stopping people from setting up multiple trusts with this end in mind.

regards,

julie

Back