granny flat and fire zones

are you buying to part- live in or 100% investment? what are you trying to achieve?

for many and varied reasons i am going to share this with an adult son.
he takes the mortage and i contribute the major part using part of the proceeds of the sale of my existing property (which i realise is of about now... not mine anymore ...gulp).
he is my only beneficiary so i am effectively giving him access to his inheritance in my lifetime.
which is very kind of me i suspect:).

in the event i go into a nursing home or similar (and dont conveniently die suddenly) he will rent out my sector which will presumably, plans allowing, be the larger sector.
while i am alive i will have the choice of whichever sector of the house i prefer and which suits some of my physical problems.
if i go into a nursing home or similar then he has to rent out my sector to pay for whatever is needed to be paid for.
i actually dont want a lot of room so would prefer the smaller section of the house ....but it may not work out that way. the smaller section of the two fire affected houses were just beautiful and perfect. sigh

that is the general gist of it.
i have been over it with centrelink til i am sick of it and there are no seeming issues . i have planned about as much as i think i can .....but if anyone has any suggestions then i am happy to hear them.:cool:

at the end of the day i would like him to have not just a house but a property that might be just that bit more valuable and useful than the current one is.
but i am not doing that at any price or beyond a certain degree of inconvenience to myself

Ur def an awesome dad lol

Since your looking around that area; you may want to look at west pennant hills and carlingford - simliar price range + no fire issues ( most part anyway)

Regards
Michael

Ur def an awesome dad lol

Since your looking around that area; you may want to look at west pennant hills and carlingford - simliar price range + no fire issues ( most part anyway)

Regards
Michael

thanks michael :)

i am der mom.
i am the most amazing mom.
but my amazing is nearly worn out.;)

i am prepared (as of now anyway) to keep looking here because i know that in the past the properties have been there. however as time passes and people buy up the larger blocks and subdivide or do what i am thinking of......the supply diminishes.

west penno is actually not, right now anyway, any better than normo or thornleigh or westleigh for what i want pricewise.
i have checked the pennant hills side of it but it is no go right now.
just no suitable properties available which is why i have negotiated extended settlement and a rental period in case i need it. i sold way more quickly than i thought

i have looked longer term to when castle hill gets a railway and that affects the value of houses between here (pennant hills) and castle hill.
i think therefor that parts of west pennant hills could well be great buys if u can stand it til the train get there. depending on where u work of course.
my son has a large commute but is prepared to do that in order to stay in this area. close to train is where we are now and an objective that is aimed for..... but probably not possible pricewise

it will all be about compromise and the hope that whatever we choose is the right choice.

Westleigh - my good old home town :)

If it's fire zoned ;then it will fail the SEPP 10 days granny flat quick approval.

1. It needs a full DA
2. A fire party wall must be installed ( attached)
3. I think certain materials must be used as well
4. + require a bit more room ( for easy access and exit) and size adjustments etc...

Regard
Michael

Sorry Michael, but that's not correct. It will only fail to meet the SEPP for Compolying Deveopment if it's in a 'Flame Zone'. i.e. basically, the bushland is right on your doorstep (pretty rare).

You're right that it generally means you have to use fire-retardent claddings (brick, masonry or even aluminium/resin based cladding) and ember-seals to doors, weepholes + toughened(5mm) glass etc.

Sorry Michael, but that's not correct. It will only fail to meet the SEPP for Compolying Deveopment if it's in a 'Flame Zone'. i.e. basically, the bushland is right on your doorstep (pretty rare).

You're right that it generally means you have to use fire-retardent claddings (brick, masonry or even aluminium/resin based cladding) and ember-seals to doors, weepholes + toughened(5mm) glass etc.

My IP is in Cheltenham ( Hornsby council) - me and my builders has tried to fight for the SEPP but its been rejected a twice because it's fire zoned. ( a good 8 month ago)

Pain in a ***...you may be right about the "flame zone" ( to be honest, first time i have heard of this term) but either way hornsby had this same condition for our fire zone :(

All good now; as it's DA approved- but spent a lot of time just getting the plans updated and the DA done.

Regards
Michael

My IP is in Cheltenham ( Hornsby council) - me and my builders has tried to fight for the SEPP but its been rejected a twice because it's fire zoned. ( a good 8 month ago)

Pain in a ***...you may be right about the "flame zone" ( to be honest, first time i have heard of this term) but either way hornsby had this same condition for our fire zone :(

All good now; as it's DA approved- but spent a lot of time just getting the plans updated and the DA done.

Regards
Michael

http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/dsp_content.cfm?cat_id=1058
There are six bush fire attack levels that are used to determine the appropriate construction to be applied to a development:

BAL-LOW
BAL-12.5
BAL-19
BAL-29
BAL-40
Flame Zone (Alternative Solution required).

For the purposes of complying development under the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 (the Codes SEPP), development must be assessed as below BAL-40 (i.e. BAL-LOW, BAL-12.5, BAL-19 or BAL-29).

Last edited:
Westleigh - my good old home town :)

From a personal point of view; having dealt with Hornsby council on regular basis ( the most annoying council ever! with their stupid 40% floor space rule)

If it's fire zoned ;then it will fail the SEPP 10 days granny flat quick approval.

1. It needs a full DA
2. A fire party wall must be installed ( attached)
3. I think certain materials must be used as well
4. + require a bit more room ( for easy access and exit) and size adjustments etc...

According to Hornsby DCP - " bushfire prone land...must comply with the specification and requirements of planning for bushfire protection 2001"

Either way speak to the town planner and confirm.

Regard
Michael

As in my previous post, and from brazen's post, there are varying levels of fire risk. Our property was listed with Hornsby Council as being in the flame zone. But after we had an assessment done, the land went down to BAL19.
So, while we got knocked back initially, once we had the risk assessment one, they were happy to do a complying development.

just an update on what i eventually did . for al those here who were helpful and for local people who were good enough to give me heaps of info that was so valuable .
i left the choice of house to the son in the end as it was all pretty much immaterial to me out of what was available came the day and the hour of finality .
he chose the house in westleigh with a longer commute, cannot be legally grannied and is minus the closed in double car port that really is something that is needed for assorted reasons

the only other option (over all a bit more expensive but IMO worth it).....could have been legally grannied, was walk rail and was over all more suitable to the reasons that provoked the move

we have been here a month, the dog is happy, i very like my new errrrrr kitchen and the guy doing it, hate the curtains and am not much enamoured of the wild life in the form of killa katerpillaz. the mad gum trees are all ......not what i wanted but seem to have gotten .LOL.
the tree guys quoting for work.... are legion ;)
love the neighbours and the general feel of the place which i didnt expect and which to me is worth quite a bit.
we both have the equivant of a 3 BR house each tho mine is laid out differently but works for me

the object of the move was to get a legal granny flat potential/actual,along with space
fail on granny grounds, fail on transport grounds.
not my problem as i left it to he who may or may not be happy with the ramifications both short and long term.
win on basis of general satisfaction for dollars outlaid for the immediate short/medium term.
win.... in that i learned a LOT......but still wonder why doors are so expensive:confused:

i am in a flame zone and have been told there is no way known i will ever get a legal granny.
i cant work up a sweat about it expect to be a bit sad that i think the wrong choice was made.it will not be my problem
it was the sale from hell on assorted levels and i will never use a bank mobile lender again for starters .

so thanks again everyone who helped make the decision that is so ......doubtful.:)
all too mad really but i am not complaining

Back