Granny Flat - But where is the back yard?

A question for the granny flat planning gurus. Attached is a common type of ex-DHA property in postcode 2770. House "faces" a footpath and the street address is a road. Ugly road full of fences and garages, but still a road.

Where is the frontage for planning purposes !

Attachments

• WheresTheFont.jpg
    WheresTheFont.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 131
Not sure with these HC group house situations but I think it will be the "street address" front....where the road access is on the picture.

Look closely for the services connection points - especially the sewer.
Double or triple check ALL your setbacks and clearances so you know exactly how much space you have to build.
I bet there will be some special setback rule for both sides of the house.....???

Where does the postie drop the mail....on the walkway side???

Not sure with these HC group house situations but I think it will be the "street address" front....where the road access is on the picture.

Look closely for the services connection points - especially the sewer.
Double or triple check ALL your setbacks and clearances so you know exactly how much space you have to build.
I bet there will be some special setback rule for both sides of the house.....???

Where does the postie drop the mail....on the walkway side???

Not planning to build, just curious and perhaps a GF guru may know.

If the street side was considered a rear boundary to a lane, then that's a zero setback...

Anyhow, I doubt many people go the walkway side, including posties, and probably never after dark :eek:

This is a "Radburn" designed estate, the street is the rear and the lane is the front. The answer is in the fact that there are sheds etc in the rear setback in other yards so you should be able to build between the house and the street to the same setback as some of the other structures along the street. What local government area are you?

This is in postcode 2770 somewhere, not sure which suburb but they are all much the same. Any building would be under NSW SEPP so no council involvement.

What's the story behind the "Radburn" estate? I suspect there were a few social experiments in these areas.

A question for the granny flat planning gurus. Attached is a common type of ex-DHA property in postcode 2770. House "faces" a footpath and the street address is a road. Ugly road full of fences and garages, but still a road.

wherever the letterbox is.

Hi twodogs,

If the footath is not a laneway (meaning it's described as a footpath on the D.P), then the frontage is the street; if it is a laneway and the dwelling's front door faces it, that's the 'frontage'.

The NSW SEPP defines the frontage as the side which the dwelling 'faces'. The face is the side the front door is on.

On corner blocks for example where the front door faces an open corner, we can appoint either of the two roads as 'the frontage'. This affects setbacks in the sense that we can nominate the rear setback (3m) to the boundary we most favour.

Ive actually had a development which was impossible due to this issue, so we moved the front door to the side street. This opened up the block for granny flat development.

I hope this helps.

Brazen.

Back