Granny Flat / Hornsby Council

Has anyone on the forum successfully applied to Hornsby council for a newly constructed /converted garage granny flat?

Seriously considering converting our 60sqm detached garage to a funky granny flat. confident it would lease for $300-330 per week BUT I've spoken to the Council who are as usual vague-negative eg preservation of purpose, risk of an application for subdivision later, multi unit housing in a low density area not encouraged etc.

Last edited:
Has anyone on the forum successfully applied to Hornsby council for a newly constructed /converted garage granny flat?

Seriously considering converting our 60sqm detached garage to a funky granny flat. confident it would lease for $300-330 per week BUT I've spoken to the Council who are as usual vague-negative eg preservation of purpose, risk of an application for subdivision later, multi unit housing in a low density area not encouraged etc.

Hornsby Council's policy for multi-unit is 350 sq m per dwelling excluding access. Have you got this much land?

Hi, nearly 900 sqm but one of the Assessment officers did say there was a clause which they COULD enforce to say it must be 500sqm each.

As far as the rental quotation of $300 plus, that's my personal observation of better than average granny flats but its the max. one could expect. Conservatively, it would be between $250-300.

However, my DLUG is massive (60sqm) and if allowed, will have its own private yard etc. Calling it a granny flat is not serving it justice, it would be a large 1/2 bed house.

I know it will rent well, as will the house with no major rental loss (maybe $20-30) given the clear separation and I've now decided too risky not to have council approval given the nature of the neighbours, unforseen disaster eg fire.

So noone has ever done this (via Horsnby)?? Has anyone ever converted a garage WITH council approval from any council? Lessons learnt? C'mon guys, need some advice here.

Back