Granny Flat in a Front Yard - A Sydney first?

Hi guys,

I've been asked by quite a few people if granny flats can be built on front yards and until now, the answer was always, no, sorry.

The SEPP rule pretty much disqualified such approvals but this week we had one aproved in the Northern Beaches of Sydney IN the front yard.

Yeap! I never thought I'd see it.

Im not trying to self-promote (admins). Ive just been asked this question countless times and since it has now been achieved I thought it might be worth sharing.

You can read more on how it's achievable on this page: http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au/approval-news/front-yard-granny-flat/ but basically, if the adjoining dwellings are set towards the front boundary whilst your house is set further back, it can be done!

Brazen.

Hi Guys,

I know a lot of you have PM'd me about granny flats in front yards and whilst they're admittedly a rare occurrence, it can certainly happen.

I've just uploaded images of this project, which clearly show the structure in front of the main dwelling. Actually the main dwelling is pretty well hidden now!- :eek: Here she is: http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au/projects/dee-why

You can see the adjoining dwelling to the left which now sits fairly flush with the granny flat. it jus shows that reading the legislation carefully can indeed net good results for the investor. Yes, I know I'm boasting a little here but I can't help but feel especially proud of this one.

We've done a few granny flats now which sit directly next to the main dwelling but only two which lay directly in front of the main dwelling - reasons are as described in previous post.

Brazen.

Hey Serge,

Have you done any around Cartwright? That area is odd because the access to all the houses is from the rear. All that is in the front of the houses is footpaths. Some genius thought that would be a good idea way back when.

The original house is set back ~20m though. That's fairly rare in the first place.

Hi Guys,

I know a lot of you have PM'd me about granny flats in front yards and whilst they're admittedly a rare occurrence, it can certainly happen.

I've just uploaded images of this project, which clearly show the structure in front of the main dwelling. Actually the main dwelling is pretty well hidden now!- :eek: Here she is: http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au/projects/dee-why

You can see the adjoining dwelling to the left which now sits fairly flush with the granny flat. it jus shows that reading the legislation carefully can indeed net good results for the investor. Yes, I know I'm boasting a little here but I can't help but feel especially proud of this one.

We've done a few granny flats now which sit directly next to the main dwelling but only two which lay directly in front of the main dwelling - reasons are as described in previous post.

Brazen.

typo alert

Hi Brazen,

If it was just a post on SS I would not comment but as it is your public website perhaps this needs to be fixed

<<This Unique Dee Why Property

As published in a recent news post, we were finally able to build a granny flat in a Sydney front yard. This is particularly unusual since the NSW SEPP Legislation doesn?t allow granny flats in front yards unless the adjoining two dwellings boast extremely short front setbacks. In order for this to be achieved the following two parameters must be true: 1. The subject property must have a front setback which is quite log <<<<<< should this be "long" or "large" ?

Hi Brazen,

If it was just a post on SS I would not comment but as it is your public website perhaps this needs to be fixed

<<This Unique Dee Why Property

As published in a recent news post, we were finally able to build a granny flat in a Sydney front yard. This is particularly unusual since the NSW SEPP Legislation doesn?t allow granny flats in front yards unless the adjoining two dwellings boast extremely short front setbacks. In order for this to be achieved the following two parameters must be true: 1. The subject property must have a front setback which is quite log <<<<<< should this be "long" or "large" ?

Hi Macca,

hehe yea that's a typo- fixed now. Thank you!

Hey Serge,

Have you done any around Cartwright? That area is odd because the access to all the houses is from the rear. All that is in the front of the houses is footpaths. Some genius thought that would be a good idea way back when.

No not yet but remember if the neighbouring houses' setbacks are also long, you cant come any further forward. You need to match the prevailing front setbacks, yea?

Serge.

What if the house is set back 13m from front boundary (21m wide)?

Hi datto,

Building to the side of the main dwelling is fine if there's room and the neighbouring homes allow it- see attached sample.

The front setback rule is unique in that it depends on your neighbours. Note the comment in the far left top corner and look at the neighbouring dwellings. The prevailing neighbours front setbacks are the critical measurements.

Attachments

• granny flats in front yards.jpg
    granny flats in front yards.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 260
Back