Granny flat potential?

Coming along nicely. Hoping you took the opportunity to add insulation to the walls whilst there was no plaster.

What are you planning on doing to the outside?

Sammy - you are doing well. Love the Jazz cornices too.

Did you have a timeline estimated? How are you doing?
I gave myself 4 weeks to do all this, I've got two weeks left :eek:

Coming along nicely. Hoping you took the opportunity to add insulation to the walls whilst there was no plaster.

What are you planning on doing to the outside?
Yes,the walls were insulated. As for the outside i was going to cladd but am now leaning more towards bluebording the sucker :).

Finished a few days ago,still some minor details need attention but finished nonetheless :D.

Attachments

• 2012-11-18-246.jpg
    2012-11-18-246.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 2012-11-18-250.jpg
    2012-11-18-250.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 2012-11-18-254.jpg
    2012-11-18-254.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 158
more pics of the reno

Attachments

• 2012-11-18-255.jpg
    2012-11-18-255.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 2012-11-18-258.jpg
    2012-11-18-258.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 2012-11-18-259.jpg
    2012-11-18-259.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 135
I am the 'builder' so to speak but i don't do work other than for myself. I'll be more than happy to pass on the contact details for tradies that i use :).

Hi Sammy, would you have contacts for a plumber? We need a good one as we have a big job of building a bathroom from scratch including some digging.

Also, did you go through the council for this reno or was it not necessary?

Thanks.

Does this design look ok? We are governed by the 3 metre setback rule plus the sewer pipe. I think I'm going to go with this plan but any input is appreciated.

Attachments

• ffgg.jpg
    ffgg.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 162
I like the design but the room seems a bit small compared to everything else. Combined space for laundry, bath and toilet seems a bit big.
It would be good to add covering to the area between the garage door and the gf entry door.

Wow Sammy you've done a great job !!

just wondering what do you do for living ? are you in the construction industry?

what sort of deal did you do before this reno ? did you do a reno before?

Because most of people I met won't this big scale of reno if you didn't do any reno before...

Does this design look ok? We are governed by the 3 metre setback rule plus the sewer pipe. I think I'm going to go with this plan but any input is appreciated.

Ok here is what I would do.
1. chop off laundry wall in line with bathroom wall and run the laundry horizontal to house not vertical and take out that funny room inbetween the laundry and bathroom - put access to outside through the laundry if you must.
2. With the extra space you just allowed yourself add this to the main bedroom as a walk in robe or just extra space. I think this room should be bigger than it is. It will also make the house more rectangle shape if measured/tweaked correctly which reduces costs.

Will garden/outdoor living be to the rear or the front?

If it's to the rear then
a. move bathroom to where kitchen is and put laundry above it
b. run kitchen/meals/living vertical instead of horizontal with a sliding door access to rear outdoor area.

Hi Sammy

Love what you did with the house and in a great time frame.

I tend to agree with the comments re the granny flat. You seem to be wasting a lot of living room in the bathroom laundry and entry way.

I would try and sneak the laundry into the back of the garage. This could simply be a laundry tub and connections for washer and dryer. This recovers a space 2000 x 2499 just from the laundry add to this the 1800 x 2400 from that entry area and that is a huge area (9 sqm).

In the current configuration that could simply be incorporated into the living room area but I would also try and add space to the bedroom to provide built in closets.

Also if you could change the layout to have the bathroom more accessible from the bedroom then that would improve the useability of the unit.

Just looking at the layout

Move kitchen to corner where laundry was.
turn bathroom around 90 deg
incorporate wardrobe in space with turned bathroom.
Cheers

Bedroom too small, 2.9x2.9 with no built in robe. My PM's always tell me BIR's lease properties, many people will walk away without them.

Also why a 1br + garage rather than a 2br? Will the garage inclusion give a greater return?

No direct access from living room to yard will also turn people off.

Here is what I would do at a rough level..

grannyflatrough.jpg

Last edited:
Why not just remove the storage space all together but put in an extra large bir?

I put that in as well when I was hacking the diagram up.. easy to do, move the storage down to level with the bedroom entry door adn make it a BIR facing inwards, then a linen press facing the living room backing onto the smaller BIR.

Smaller BIR could even be a shower alcove in the bathroom instead if desired.

Lots of ways to carve up 60sqm :)

Back