Granny Flat - should I bother with council approval?

Hey guys,

Thought I'd do an update to share my Granny Flat journey. I have learned a lot from being on this forum and wanted to say thanks to all who contributed to this thread. I had to laugh at my topic title. It sounds so ridiculously naive...:D

It has been difficult to get finance. CBA at first knocked me back in 2010. The home loans for Granville & Merrylands are both with CBA. I approached them again last year and this time they were more helpful.

I have also bought a property in Lethbridge Park in April 2011 which is another candidate for a granny flat. This one is financed through Suncorp.

1. Granville - detached GF, currently under construction. Expected completion in April. The tenant’s sister wants to rent it. Estimated rent $350-$380/wk.

2. Merrylands - garage conversion/extention. Already approved by a private certifier and waiting on loan approval.

3. Lethbridge Park - garage conversion/extension. Design stage. Will be approaching Suncorp for a loan top-up soon

That is all for now…

I was going to respond in detail but I am about 2 years late!

To everyone. By and large don't bother with Council Approval through the DA system. Use either council as the certifier (not a DA) or a private certifier.

I was going to respond in detail but I am about 2 years late!

To everyone. By and large don't bother with Council Approval through the DA system. Use either council as the certifier (not a DA) or a private certifier.

In some cases, though, there is no other choice BUT to use Council for a DA/CC (Construction Certificate). Issues that disqualify a property from fast 10-day approval (through a Certifier) are:

1. The block isn't wide enough (at the building line)- must be at least 12m wide. I had a client last week in Auburn with a block that's 11.90m wide- she was disqualified :(
2. Flooding
3. Significant tree removal; a Private Certifier can't approve tree removal AND the granny flat must be min. 3m from tree trunks.
4. Is in a Bush Fire area that's a Flame-Zone.
5. ANYWHERE in the Blue Mountains!
6. Really bad drainage.

Brazen.

Hey guys,

Thought I'd do an update to share my Granny Flat journey. I have learned a lot from being on this forum and wanted to say thanks to all who contributed to this thread. I had to laugh at my topic title. It sounds so ridiculously naive...:D

It has been difficult to get finance. CBA at first knocked me back in 2010. The home loans for Granville & Merrylands are both with CBA. I approached them again last year and this time they were more helpful.

I have also bought a property in Lethbridge Park in April 2011 which is another candidate for a granny flat. This one is financed through Suncorp.

1. Granville - detached GF, currently under construction. Expected completion in April. The tenant’s sister wants to rent it. Estimated rent $350-$380/wk.

2. Merrylands - garage conversion/extention. Already approved by a private certifier and waiting on loan approval.

3. Lethbridge Park - garage conversion/extension. Design stage. Will be approaching Suncorp for a loan top-up soon

That is all for now…

dreamgirl,

I live in the Holroyd LGA and want to convert garage to granny flat under AHSEPP for my mother. I think the garage setbacks and my land size meets the qualifying criteria. Could you recommend any builder who could do the complete process to turn the garage into a gf (approval, project manage and build). The garage already has attached toilet laundry room etc.

Last edited:
Reasons to get approval

Hi everyone

Another reason to get all the proper approvals is that a tenant who has been paying rent on a premises not approved by Council can apply to the CTTT to have all the rent paid so far to be refunded. The revised Act now limits orders to a maximum of $15,000. See an example decision where the landlord was ordered to repay $10,000 (then the limit) at

http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/s.../579.html?stem=0&synonyms=0&query=NSWCTTT 579

Another reason to get all the proper approvals is that a tenant who has been paying rent on a premises not approved by Council can apply to the CTTT to have all the rent paid so far to be refunded.
As a landlord who went to great expense to comply with all the regulations, I'm pleased to see the system punishing landlords who don't. It really burns me to have to compete with people who do the wrong thing, and appear to get away with it year after year...

As a landlord who went to great expense to comply with all the regulations, I'm pleased to see the system punishing landlords who don't. It really burns me to have to compete with people who do the wrong thing, and appear to get away with it year after year...

I agree that granny flat regulations should be enforced. Although, I think it's important that enforcement of it should be consistent and predictable. In my opinion, it really is unfair if some people get away with it, while others like you Perp, have to comply with all the regulations at great expense.

I think if enforcements are more consistent and predictable, then investors will truly have to seriously consider the potential risks of non-compliance, so that they see that non-compliance can actually be more pricey than doing the right thing.

Back