Grass Perth

We are thinking of buying grass seeds for a property which will become our PPOR sooner or later. I have zero knowledge about gardening.

We would like to have a
* non invasive grass (as there are lots of paving areas)
* Suitable for perth climate. We will water now and then as needed, I reckon.
* Slowly growing. 250sqm grass area. And I don't want to mow more than once in every month or two.

Which grass to go for?

Thanks

Artificial - no way.

Front yard as well as backyard. So lots of lawn area.

No plans for a GF in near future at this place. May be an extension later. But no plans to build for around 5 years. Need all the area for my kids to run around and fight. :p

Front yards are just a display window for the neighbours anyhow ;)

Go Artificial at the front and real at the back where the kids will play :D

I wouldnt go seed, Id go turf.

I recently put turf down at my house and love it. My brother put in seed roughly the same time and he now has dirt with some green tufts. Mind you, the area I was covering was tiny.

I had to water it a bit when it first went in, but haven't watered it in a while. Cant help you with variety as I live in a different climate.

Attachments

• Nov backyard.JPG
    Nov backyard.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 63
We are thinking of buying grass seeds for a property which will become our PPOR sooner or later. I have zero knowledge about gardening.

We would like to have a
* non invasive grass (as there are lots of paving areas)
* Suitable for perth climate. We will water now and then as needed, I reckon.
* Slowly growing. 250sqm grass area. And I don't want to mow more than once in every month or two.

Which grass to go for?

Thanks

Slow growing when established - I'd probably go a soft leaf buffalo like Sir Walter or Empress Zoysia but in Summer most grasses love being mowed more than once a month.

They grow from runners best but I'd buy some rolls and cut up rather than seed or you'll be weeding FOREVER!

Best advice I can give regardless of lawn selected is to treat your soil first ( let's face it, it's sand!) you can get clay based soil improver, mix this along with some organic matter like cheap potting mix through your top 100mm of sand. The clay will help to retain water around the grass roots much longer than sand.

If you have a dog I'd reccomend a hardy grass like kooch...

Thanks all for your guidance. If we manage to grow a nice garden, I will update with photos :D Probably will take an year.

Back