Great News for Property Investors

Every problem creates opportunity :)

Yes the RBA has raised interest rates 0.25%

Four long years on we finally get the much awaited interest rate increase:

The really good news is:

More realistic property prices
Increasing yields

For these with a little bit of forsight (Structure and a IP financial plan) the process of acquiring wealth through investment properties has just become a whole heap easier :)

Regards,

Steve

Steve,
it will be interesting to see what method investors
will use to value property over the next six months
property ripe for redevelopment may or may not
have the same face value over a short time frame.
good luck
willair.

It may be bad news for our paper equity, but good news if we are planning on buying. Reality is that lower housing prices are good for all!

-: Start making low offers!

I don't see it yet. I think two things are going to have to happen - a further interest rate hike (I predict 0.25% next month) and a slew of disaster stories in the media to panic heavily negatively geared investors.

Don't forget, the vast bulk of housing stock is owned by non-investors which delivers stability in both directions.

Great to hear this. I will (hopefully) be in the market just after the new financial year - once Steve has announced the next share offer.... Steve, any idea on when this is going to happening just yet?

good news i agree but not for all

the stress of 3000 per month repayments happens over time. not everyone loses jobs, divorce, have kids high school age, experience sickness - all at the same time. geez im a really UP person today - doh!!!

we (my wife and i) have a 6 figure income with great cashflow and i dont want the stess of massive mortgage repayments. i cant imagine what its like for a medium income family, over time and the stresses of everyday existance, to cope with these type of financial commitments.

5 years ago a 150k mortgage was a big deal.

i predict divorce rates due to financial stress will increase dramatically over the next 10 years. time to buy 1 bedroom apartments...hehe

lets seeee....

sure

Steve Navra For these with a little bit of forsight (Structure and a IP financial plan) the process of acquiring wealth through investment properties [B said:
has just become a whole heap easier [/B] :)

You mean losing more money has become lot easier :)

And about 20% of us have fixed our rates.

Well actually only 7% of mortgages are fixed in Australia (based on APRA numbers)

Rate increases won't have too much impact on the property market. Approximately, 50% of properties in Australia are unencumbered (i.e. no loan). Of the 50% with mortgages most of these are at very low LVR's therefore the people that may be "over exposed" make up a very small proportion of the market. My guess is that only 5% of the market is really exposed to rate increases. It's not going to have a huge impact (... unless rate go to 17%!!!)

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Stu

IMHO, in Victoria the market impact of interest rate increases will be offset by the pending decrease in the First Home Owner Grant. Until June 30, anyway!

:rolleyes: Medine

hehe

one of the great furfies (spelling)

the 1st home ows grant was the worst thing for 1st home buyers as it pushed up the market way more than 14k on entry level house. it will be the same the other way around. first home buyers are better of foregoing the 7k or 12 k and waiting until prices drop by 20k instead.

aussierogue said:
one of the great furfies (spelling)
Spelling is "furphy".

The name comes from the Shepparton based foundry - where water carts were made which were used in Gallipoli. The person carrying the water around to the troops also carried the rumours- hence the word.

The Furphy family also produced the writer Tom Collins, who wrote the Australian classic "Such is Life". ("Classic" means that nobody has actually read it).

We Shepparton people were force fed the bits which put Shepparton on the map.

I had reason to look that up for myself recently when a work colleague queried the spelling of furphy. Made for quite interesting reading - I even blogged about it.

I saw the entry you quoted in your blog- though I think the direct link between the author Tom Collins and the word "furphy" is incorrect. Tom Collins was Joseph Furphy- but it was his brother, John Furphy, who established the foundry, and who built the Furphy water tanks

This is the way threads get sidetracked :D

From abc.net.au:

Rates rise to keep house prices in check

There are predictions house prices will be held flat by rising interest rates as Australia's big banks begin raising their lending rates.

It has taken just one day for the Reserve Bank's change to the official cash rate to flow through to mortgage holders.

The ANZ was the first bank to announce a 0.25 per cent increase in standard variable home loan interest rates, followed quickly by the Commonwealth and National Australia Bank.

ANZ spokesman Paul Edwards says most customers should manage the higher interest payments.

"People are managing their repayments relatively comfortably, home loan arrears are still at record lows," he said.

Housing Industry Association chief economist Harley Dale expects rate rises to keep a lid on house prices.

"Certainly you're not going to see house prices shooting up again in a hurry," Mr Dale said.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics says prices rose 0.6 per cent rise in the December quarter.

Most capital cities recorded price rises but there were falls in Sydney, Canberra and Darwin.

In other developments:

Australia's central bank is signalling that yesterday's interest rate rise might not be the last. (Full Story)

Probably not really surprising the reasoning that seems to be behind the rate rise, but here it is formally stated, nonetheless. :)

The property cycle

I am finding the property investing cycle very interesting at the moment. Having invested in property mostly during the last few years of crazy capital growth, it is a learning experience to see what will happen in the next couple of years. I say this because I have read a bit about investing and most books talk about the property cycle. With that in mind it is very interesting to watch the impacts of the key variables within the cycle, such as interest rates, and observe the impact on the 'real world'.

There was an article in the Financial Review last weekend which talked about how rents are climbing now (Australia wide) due to the fall in supply of rental properties...vacancy rates are falling also. So if this rise in interest rates leads people away from investing, then surely this will directly impact upon the availability of rental properties. Flow on will be increased rents. Then maybe a year or so down the track, the lower property prices together with better yields will bring the investors back into the market. (Or at least those investors scared off by the rate rises!) Then we will have the beginning of the next cycle I guess.

As I said...all very interesting ;)

Bronte said:
There was an article in the Financial Review last weekend which talked about how rents are climbing now (Australia wide) due to the fall in supply of rental properties...vacancy rates are falling also. So if this rise in interest rates leads people away from investing, then surely this will directly impact upon the availability of rental properties. Flow on will be increased rents. Then maybe a year or so down the track, the lower property prices together with better yields will bring the investors back into the market. (Or at least those investors scared off by the rate rises!) Then we will have the beginning of the next cycle I guess.

This reminds me of what I now call the "queue" analogy. There's a long queue, where people are serviced from the front of the queue, and people join the rear of the queue. In this case, everyone in the queue is a property investor. Suddenly, where there were 5 attendants serving people, 4 of them leave for their lunch break, (i.e. interest rates go up, property prices go down, yields decrease). So, as more people start joining the rear of the queue, and less people are being served in some time-frame, and the queue becomes longer.

The "unsophisticated" investors get tired, and leave the queue. That is, their investments aren't performing so well — the grass is greener elsewhere for them. Suddenly, the "sophisticated" investors are all left behind, in a queue that has diminished in size, (meaning they will be serviced sooner, and the fruits of their efforts — waiting — will soon become reality), and they get served sooner. After a while the attendants come back and the line starts moving again — that is, property prices start rising, interest rates go down, vacancy rates decrease.

Then, more "unsophisticated" investors notice the queue is moving really quick, and jump on the end, and the cycle repeats...

OK I'm done... :p

I Can't Wait

Medine said:
IMHO, in Victoria the market impact of interest rate increases will be offset by the pending decrease in the First Home Owner Grant. Until June 30, anyway!

:rolleyes: Medine
As soon as the Government remove the grant.... that is when I get excited as my Home starter solution (one of my favourite strategies) really kicks in as .... people can't get the funds from the government as a freeby anymore thus making what I can offer muc much more apealling.......mmmmmmm can't wait!!!!!
Cheers,
Kiwi

Back