Great website for sourcing tradies

I stumbled on this completely by accident a few weeks ago:

serviceseeking.com.au

I needed a small rendering job done and rendering is the one thing I have always mucked up. So I logged the job, got 4 responses within ten minutes, had a chat with one of them, and the job was done the next morning.

Then I went looking for a concreter for a friend. Same success.

And another mate used the site to find a paver.

I think tradies pay $55 per month to be listed on the site and leads get emailed to them. Then it's up to them whether they respond.

There would be dozens of these sites around, but this one worked well for me - three times. I particularly like the reviews of tradies that I could read.

I'm not sure whether it's only Sydney based or national.

Scott

Scott, funnily enough I was just discussing this site with a colleague, who has used it in Melbourne and given the initial process good feedback.

I've used service seeking before - both as a service provider and service needer.

Recently, I needed to get 3 electrical points installed, rang around for quotes and they were all in the $600+ range which I thought was ridiculous. I then remembered service seeking and put a request through there. I only got one response from a local sparky who quoted me $660 for the work when I phoned and then through service seeking they quoted me $330....

Have used this site in the past and you definitely get a number of replies and quickly. Generally those set up to respond well are the better organised trades.

However after a couple of bad experiences - which can happen with tradies no matter how you find them - I only go with referrals now.

As long as you can get a couple of recommendation then you find the tradies themselves give you good referrals for others.

Last week i started using hi pages

http://homeimprovementpages.com.au

I advertised jobs for rendering, house painting, roof restoring, site works/block clearing, changing house to u/g power, colourbond fencing.

The response was amazing. Endeded up being called within minutes and after orginising access had close to 20 quotes for the above works. And my how the quotes varied thousands per job.

You get presented with three companies prepared to help, if more are willing then you choose for your details to be handed to them.

Very good idea and so easy.

Cheers

Thanks Scott for the sharing.

Like Tonibell, I have had some really bad experience with dodgy tradies. I've found about 1/3 of tradies I have hired were good, 1/3 so so, and 1/3 were really bad. For example a plasterer did not return to finish the job. As my new tenant was going to move in next day, I had to finish the job by myself. However the guy turned up at night still wanting me to pay him full amount of money. I also had extremely bad experience with a landscaper in Richlands (Qld) who cut corners and ignored engineering design. I had to take him to the BSA and QCAT.

I now only go with referrals too. Be aware that some websites (such as TrueLocal) remove bad comments. So the rating and comments on these sites may not be accurate.

Last edited:
I didnt have much luck with serviceseeking.

First guy came out to quote and sounded like he had no idea what he was doing.
The 2nd one who came out sounded fairly good and quoted a good price so I gave him the goahead, but he never turned up. Rescheduled and never showed up a 2nd time.

We have had excellent results on Serviceseeking.com.au.

In fact just this morning i listed a quote request for a fencing job. Received a quote after only an hour or so. Gave the go ahead and the work will be done next week. Very happy with that.

A year or so back i requested quotes for a split system to be installed. Received six quotes on the first day. Chose a mid range price of $500 from a local electrician/ air conditioning man who turned up exactly when he said and did a superb job of the installation.

For those in Adelaide looking for a Plumber, i have had excellent service at short notice from Ken Hall Plumbers. They have vans around all suburbs. Highly recommend them.

Stangman.

I needed a property painted inside at Orange did not even get 1 call,trying to find a painter in this area is crazy and when you do they sting you,anyone know a painter in this area be much appreciated.

Macca446

I've used it a couple of times. Quotes really vary which is interesting. Still prefer to visit the tradies website so I can view their portolio and previous work.

I had to email ServiceSeeking yesterday about getting a Tiler and guess what I got back.

This is an automated message confirming we've received your email. Our Manila office was closed on July 16th due to a typhoon and we'll be working hard from July 17th to reply to the backlog of emails. We really appreciate your patience. Kind regards, Clare Matchett General Manager

I posted a job there late last week and another one today. No problems. I have had calls after completed jobs from a call centre asking how it all went. That call centre would be in Manilla.

Back