GREEDY real estate agents have fleeced homeowners,

GREEDY real estate agents have fleeced homeowners, tenants and landlords by increasing sneaky fees and charges by 16 per cent over the past year.
Preying on the rental and property markets across the country, agents have subsidised their income from home sales and commissions with an increases in hidden costs.
Consumer advocates have branded the cash grab a cynical attempt by agents to keep bank accounts bulging regardless of the state of the property market.
The real estate rip-off was revealed by the Australian Bureau of Statistics in their producer price index released yesterday that showed the annual rise in business costs and charges.
While Australian businesses overall recorded a 4.8 per cent increase in the past year, real estate agents fees and charges increased by 16.57 per cent.
The index covered charges for commissions, advertising and property management fees. Some agents even charged for the paper their bills were printed on.
Real estate consumer advocate Neil Jenman said the figures showed that people did not realise the inflated costs agents charge.
"If the general public knew what happened behind closed doors they wouldn't use real estate agents,'' Mr Jenman said.
"And for every extra dollar a landlord gets by raising rents, the agent gets another 7c or 10c as well.
"In New South Wales the greatest hidden charge is the kickbacks in advertising. For example, an agent may pay $100 a month to advertise a property as much as they want -- and can then charge whatever they want to their customers.''
Real Estate Industry of Australia president Noel Dyett said the 16 per cent increase could be skewed by the significant increases in the upper-end markets of Sydney and Melbourne.
"Obviously agents generally work on a commission so as property prices increase the commission percentage doesn't actually change but the quantum will increase,'' he said.
"Statistics can show things that might not be reflected across the market and certainly, to my knowledge, there has been no significant increase to agents' commissions.
"As far as advertising goes, that reflects the cost rises shown in the CPI and for the advertising industry because the agents pass on those costs without generally adding anything to them.''
National Australia Bank senior markets economist David de Garis said the producer price index was "quite'' higher than market expectations and showed inflation was back on the horizon.

http://www.news.com.au/business/mone...013951,00.html

Consumer advocates have branded the cash grab a cynical attempt by agents to keep bank accounts bulging

http://www.news.com.au/business/mone...013951,00.html

Yes damn capitalisation! How dare anyone want to make money in their chosen profession. We should all be communists so that agents and landlords and tenants and first home owners can all be making exactly the same money. What is the government doing about any of this? Don't they know that people don't have a choice what are they doing to help all the poor victims who don't have any properties because these greedy investors have taken them all and these greedy agents are just getting richer and richer.

Booo Hoooo!

Come on Xenia, the only people that should be making money are investors! I mean, business owners are just there to serve our needs on a shoestring budget, right? Blargh, what do they have to pay for? Employees? Insurance? Rent? Far out! Don't understand why on earth they'd want to make some money.

It's funny how investors baulk at newspaper articles about 'greedy landlords' but geez, do they jump on the bandwagon quick smart when they're the ones that are supposedly getting the hard end of the stick.

I always used to wonder at how mainstream media made so much money selling garbage to the plebs. Now after seeing so many people on here posting sensationalist crap lately, I know - because people just love to have a whinge. The victim mentality is alive and well even on here.

Mark

Xenia every one has a right to make a few bucks.
But what does make me laugh the price of houses have sky rocketed , agents are now only have to sell 1 house vs 5 in the past.
Rent is through the roof and they are still taking the same % with a higher return.
They are doing much less work with greater return but yet still want their cake and eat it to.

It's funny how investors baulk at newspaper articles about 'greedy landlords' but geez, do they jump on the bandwagon quick smart when they're the ones that are supposedly getting the hard end of the stick.

Lol so true ...lol::D

obviously not written by someone that has owned a RE agency... it really is a bad business model. still the general public seem fooled by all those leased bmw's.

but whilst having a go, lets not forget greedy conveyancers/solicitors, governments, architects etc that all charge on the value of the home. oh builders to.

Xenia

In case you havn't noticed there is a thing called 'ethics'. In business and in life. We are becoming a society of 'i'll get what i can any way i can and stuff you. Which is sad.

A considerable number of people consider the end result more important than the means to achieve it.

I have seen a lot of your posts are regarding and defending people with questionable ethical business practices.

Yes damn capitalisation! How dare anyone want to make money in their chosen profession. We should all be communists so that agents and landlords and tenants and first home owners can all be making exactly the same money. What is the government doing about any of this? Don't they know that people don't have a choice what are they doing to help all the poor victims who don't have any properties because these greedy investors have taken them all and these greedy agents are just getting richer and richer.

Booo Hoooo!

Last edited:
Reactions: BV
Sorry guys but can you let me know where the harshness and brutality is in my post?

They are very, emotional, OTT words themselves.

I was just stating a fact as i have seen it.

I think the unethical guys and businesses like Henry Kaye, rip off/gouging real estates etc are the brutal and harsh ones.

agents are now only have to sell 1 house vs 5 in the past.

hmmm - starting to wonder if you're an investor or just a renter on here for a whinge.

okay - house prices have gone up, but from my experience, selling percentage has gone down (i pay 2.2% now compared to 5% 10 years ago).

costs and wages for the agent has also increased - wow - all that running around in the car at todays petrol prices! not to mention insurances, regulatory bodies that require fees, increased rents for shopfronts, on call 24/7 blah blah.

and why on earth do you think pm's are non-working liars? my pm works harder than anyone else i know and is one of the most honest people i have met. again, on call 24/7, having to deal with both whinging tenants "and" whinging landlords (extra whinging from both ends in today's climate), highers expenses (ie, petrol, digital cameras etc) for attending inspections, tenants insisting they know their rights more than ever before, and all for an extra $2.50 for every $50 rent increase ... whop do doo.

If fees are too high or profits are attractive, then there will be opportunities for others to come into the market, find a niche and provide additional competition.

Business opportunity maybe for those here? ;)

Good luck to em Buzz... once they attempt to open the doors trhe reality of all those hidden costs will kick in, many of them imposed by bureacratic departments you may never have heard of. I found a new one yesterday when some department that has about 7 words in it's name wrote to inform me of an act, with compliance and fees to match.

I never have a problem with agents putting up their fees.

But I have a big problem with how much work they (don't) put in to get their fees.

Lizzie; where did you pay 5% ten years ago?

I've been selling/buying property since 1985, and I've never paid more than 3%.

Sorry guys but can you let me know where the harshness and brutality is in my post?

They are very, emotional, OTT words themselves.

I was just stating a fact as i have seen it.

I think the unethical guys and businesses like Henry Kaye, rip off/gouging real estates etc are the brutal and harsh ones.

Now that you have edited your post it doesnt sound bad at all.

Dave

Xenia

In case you havn't noticed there is a thing called 'ethics'. In business and in life. We are becoming a society of 'i'll get what i can any way i can and stuff you. Which is sad.

A considerable number of people consider the end result more important than the means to achieve it.

I have seen a lot of your posts are regarding and defending people with questionable ethical business practices.

I am not defending the actions of unethical people, I am questioning the constant harping on issues related to successful people, especially from investors who apparently want to make enough money in real estate to become financially free!.

Poor/unsucessful people want to find something wrong with rich people so that they can justifty their own lack of success. It is this justification of failiure that make stories sell and why sensationalised journalism does so well. If everyone was programmed for success there would be no news or newspapers!

Anyone can be unethical despite their wealth status. Last week we caught a tenant with fraud on an application form, the act fell out of the jurastiction of the tenancy tribunal and the matter was dealt with by the police. It caused one of a landlords to lose some money and caused our company to lose a few hundred dollars on the matter. This person was being delibrately fraudulant and unethical. Now! Take this story and carry it around in your head and keep bringing it up every few weeks for the next 10 years ;)

You wont will you? Why?

Because the person that committed the unethical conduct above was a poor asian student with no net worth and who was trying to rent out a room in a multi-let accomodation. Hardly threatening to society at large but an act of fraud non the less!

When I was in primary school I was very thin and always threw my lunch in the bin because I wasn't interested in lunch. There was one very fat teacher that used to write letters to my parents that there must be something physically wrong with me and she had arranged for doctors to come and visit me at school where I was given various health checks. There was nothing wrong with me! The problem was in the mind of this fat teacher, although she always said that she wanted to lose weight she never could because of a "dichotomy" that existed in her mind. Skinny is unhealthy!
She is as fat today as she ever was with many health problems related to obesity and she will always remain that way until she deals with the dichotomy (false belief).

Investors that say they want to make millions in real estate and who constantly make a distinction between rich and unethical or rich and dishonest are creating the same dichotomy that will mean constant failiure in their own lives until they get rid of that connection!

INVESTING IS ABOUT MINDSET!

I am seeing alot of people here with a dichotomy against being rich yet they are on a forum and want to retire rich some day! It is not working!

About ethics: I have made enough money in real estate to be able to personally garantee anything that goes wrong in my business. If any of my clients are ever out of pocket due to something that was done by any of my staff members I am able to personally garantee that.

I am able to offer that garanee and be ethical because I do not have a dichotomy in my head that "rich is bad" and that allows me the freedom to make money.

And yes my life is working for me because I am focused success not failiures of other people!

How about you?

Xenia

We have posted on this previously regarding your defence of Henry Kaye i think. People do not feel the way you say about rich people. They only that way about unethical rich people.

And you cant make an analogy between an Asian student with no net worth committing a 'fraud' with multi millionaire businessmen who wipe out peoples life saving or retirement money, families lose their houses etc.

If what you say is correct then why doesn't (or wont) the poor asian student receive the same treatment from the law as say people like Alan Jones, Adler and Williams (HIH), Henry Kay et al?

And you cant make an analogy between an Asian student with no net worth committing a 'fraud' with multi millionaire businessmen who wipe out peoples life saving or retirement money, families lose their houses etc.

Oh how silly of me! I thought the original article was about real estate agents charging higher for property management! I didn't realise it was about con artists like Henry Kaye, since his name wasn't even mentioned or anything remotely close to con artists was mentioned! Couldn't help but notice that Jenman was in there though...

Mark

If what you say is correct then why doesn't (or wont) the poor asian student receive the same treatment from the law as say people like Alan Jones, Adler and Williams (HIH), Henry Kay et al?

Because things are different when you have money. The more (or less) money you have, the more differently you are treated in most ways in society. That may not be very nice, but that's how things are.
Alex

Xenia

?

They are both acts of fraud that led to a loss yet you have placed an emotional response on one and not the other.... Why?

Back