'Growth' Property and the upcoming problems.

I'm not a bear. I used to be a bull. Now I think I'm just realistic.

Grab a coffee and have a read. Happy to revise my theories, open for dicussion.

"Growth" property.

Generally, this implies that the property will "grow' in value, faster than the (generally) negative cashflow against it to provide a net gain year-on-year.

We all know this isn't the case currently. Melbourne may have had a decent exception the past 12 months, Perth definitely defied this 2003-2007, Sydney's West even gave that comment a run recently. Darwin taken a small hit recently after it's own hushed 12m growth. But at present, 'growth' is subjective. Medians are useless at determining underlying trends because of the multiple markets inside markets skewing the sales figures. I don't care about Monday's auction clerarance rates. One or two weekends of bad stats, a downturn does not make.

IRs may be stagnant now, but I have "that feeling" that they're not staying here. No, I dont think the USA's QE2 will impact us greatly. Wage growth has moved and is moving in this country so I feel the RBA will be 'happy' to lift rates until we can't afford it*.

Will properties 'grow' in value? Yes. They can't NOT grow in value. The amount of new dwellings impacted by the rising costs of inflation means replacement values will rise, which means older properties will move with them on this percieved replacement value. The only way property can fall in value in the upcoming market is if land prices fall. Now, in older subdivisions this is very possible, the land is created already and weathered and been exposed to growth since inception. I don't want to hear about 1982 prices in the US, nor the Sunshine Coast.

New subdivisions may be shielded, somewhat. The cost of services and retaining and fencing is also impacted by inflation and rising costs, so they too will be propped up partially by the actual intrinsic value of the works provided. However, the core price of the wholesale lot may come down in value, affecting the new subdivision directly on top of that.

Land prices can fall, do fall and are not immune to falling in the future.

We need 'the trifecta'** to continue growth in this country. We will be reliant on foregn credit because the ACCC is stopping the big 4 from buying OS banks (or part of), so our funding will come indirectly from OS as banks try to sure up more credit. Let's face it - our teeny tiny domestic market can only provide so much capital before it stalls. And OS funders are putting a higher premium on their money - upwards of 5% returns PA required, which is the "rising costs of funds" we keep hearing about.

These funds are coming from larger institutions like the huge 401k funds in the US, who are looking for a solid investment that allows their asset base to grow above their own domestic inflation so when it comes time to pay out INTO their domestic market, they can say what a great job they've done.

This means more 'extra overs' from banks on the cash rate movements of the RBA. I expect SVRs to hit 9.5%+ in this country with the cash rate around 5.5% - 6% and the AUD to be about $1.15 USD.

We will increase our working hours for 43hrs currently to 45hrs.

What does this mean for 'Growth' property?

Your costs to hold will rise significantly, and your rents will move negligibly to match it. Wage growth will be absorbed by higher every day costs, so the ability to pay more on rent will be trampled. As IRs move up, the serviceability calculators increase and the debt is unsustainable for many.

I don't see blood in the streets. I just see an economy with less trips to Bali and older cars and retailers unions screaming that de-regulated trading hours are now hurting employers and they want the good old 9-5 back, please, as spending has been reduced and these casual wages are killing us.

We will work harder to maintain the same.

I think in reality this is called Stagflation, but officially it will be Inflation.

Cashflow positive properties won't fare much better. The cost to hold them may soon trump the once-great return. I'd want to see a return of 15%+ to be comfortable with just hanging onto them.

The population numbers we're seeing aren't all requiring houses. About 75% of the 55,000odd immigrants last year were "family immigrants" and nearly 80% of THOSE were singles being naturalised after a defacto or married relationship - which means they're already accounted for in housing stats as they're already living here! They're some shockingly whittled down numbers that put one of many nails in the 'population growth' argument and explain why we're not seeing 'growth' to match the 'population'.

Like I said, I'm just being realistic. These are actual stats.

But I'm not a bear. I still like the property market.

I see the way to make money out of this upcoming market is to ADD VALUE. Now, 'growth' is a percieved value, and you are 'growing' the value of your property by improving it. Kind of a contradiction, but hear me out.

Renovate. Add a granny flat. Develop. Make your 3x1 a 4x2. Know your product.

Sounds simple, but to many it still isn't. Buy and hope is not an investment strategy. If it works, great! Remember that for most people, they hold an investment for less than 5 years. I don't see 'growth' in that time period. In the upcoming market, you'll make money when you buy, because that 'growth' difference that you're hoping to capitalise on when you sell in a few years may not eventuate. Land prices will either be stagnant, or fall, while the cost to put a dwelling on the land rises, along with the cost of the debt tied to it, which will ramp up faster than the inflation eroding it.

I really hope I'm wrong. I really do. But planning for this scenario will CYA *** , and if 'growth' returns, you'll have the best of both worlds.

it's almost like reading waiting for godot, except we're waiting for go-rowth.

* 'it' being defined as debt.
** 'the trifecta' being inflation, wage growth and average IRs.
*** Cover Your A55.

That's pretty close to my thoughts also. (Add value/rent return to existing properties) On top of that though, I've been hearing from people in the mining industry that there will be a lot of work starting next year. I think Perth will start to take off then, and we'll have trades shortages again before you know it. There's already a lot of traddies moving here from other states. I think there will be a slowdown on the Eastern States, and interest rates may ease a bit. That is of course, if we don't have a delayed recession before then!

Last edited:
Happy to revise my theories
Ok then revise them....:D

IMO as long as there is inflation and the cost of living is going up there will always be growth in property prices.
It could take 1 or 5 or 10 years but it will come.

The trick is to have the patience and the ability to wait this long

Ok then revise them....:D

IMO as long as there is inflation and the cost of living is going up there will always be growth in property prices.
It could take 1 or 5 or 10 years but it will come.

The trick is to have the patience and the ability to wait this long

and i made a point of this - completely agree.

Godot will return, it's just a matter of 'when', not 'if'.

There is something that is troubing me though. from 1980 till about 2002-2003 The average price of property ran in a generally gradual increase in property prices. then it spiked, and has continued along that line till now. If it changed dramatically then, can it change dramatically soon or will it continue with high growth? I think a lot of it over the past 11 years has to do with Government policies and FHB's incentives. Will the Gov't continue with policies such as that? It's definately uncertain times - I know I'm not comfortable with speculative growth investments right now. Looking at what is happening in America today makes me feel a bit uneasy! :confused: I won't be overextending myself!

There is something that is troubing me though. from 1980 till about 2002-2003 The average price of property ran in a generally gradual increase in property prices. then it spiked, and has continued along that line till now.
This is troubling me as well.

I think the main difference between 1980 and today are the level of interest rates. In recent times we had a low interest rate environment which gave people the buying power to buy bigger and better property and ofcourse we had easy to get finance and no doc loans which opened the doors to speculators and allowed property prices to soar.

I was looking at the sales history of a particular Sydney property I bought at the peak of the market in 2004 and in a 10 years period it had trippled in value when under normal circumstances it should only had doubled.
So when I bought the property I paid too much and the seller got his hands on capital gain which was brought forward and which should have been mine.

Someone who analyses the growth of this property since I bought it will immediately think that the property is underperforming but in fact the property is performing as it always has. Only my timing was wrong.

Ofcourse time fixes everything so we're now back to normal and from now on we should have regular growth.

unfortunately - while that is a well reasoned post, i have to disagree.

for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction.

'back to normal' aint what i'm seeing and hearing. in fact, quite the opposite.

'back to normal' aint what i'm seeing and hearing. in fact, quite the opposite.

It depends on what market you're looking at and remember that there are markets within markets.

If you are refering to property out in the sticks selling for a lot of cash, then I agree that capital gain won't be coming any time soon. But for city property yielding the same as paying rent then its $ value will have to keep moving following wages and inflation

I see the way to make money out of this upcoming market is to ADD VALUE. Now, 'growth' is a percieved value, and you are 'growing' the value of your property by improving it.......Renovate. Add a granny flat. Develop. Make your 3x1 a 4x2.

On a % basis, this is what the vast majority of our investor clients are currently doing, and have been doing for the last 9 months or so.;)

It is a great risk mitigation strategy. If the market continues to rise, then you have added even more value. If the market plateaus, then you had added value. If the market falls a bit or interest rates increase, then the additional rental yield that you've created more than compensates.

Aaron,

Kudos brrother!

I like the fact you took the time for this post and its solid content of your thoughts. I never belive in buy pray and hold properties, one must make their own mark with their investing and be agressive. This can come from buying them cheap, having solid cashflow to support some pray, and adding value which will increase the value + cashflow.

I see there are markets which will go up as houses are very cheap for controlled reasons and areas which I cant see the value of why they are so high.

Nath.

It depends on what market you're looking at and remember that there are markets within markets.

If you are refering to property out in the sticks selling for a lot of cash, then I agree that capital gain won't be coming any time soon. But for city property yielding the same as paying rent then its $ value will have to keep moving following wages and inflation

and again, i highlighted this.

if wages continue to grow, then it won't be a problem. however, if sky-high IRs erode the serviceability of the wage growth, then it's a moot point and we may find ourselves going backwards.

example

1.0 wage + 1.0 IRs.
1.1 wage + 1.1 IRs.
1.2 wage + 1.3 IRs.
1.3 wage + 1.5 IRs.

you can see the erosionary effect on the extra income fromthe extra-over IRs from the banks. multiply this all the way to 9.5% SVRs from where we are now, it's not worrying, just something to be aware of.

if the serviceability isn't there, the prices won't move like they have in the past. inflation can move all it likes, in fact, that wold be a double whammy because IRs would move like this

1.0 wage + 1.0 IRs + 1.1 infl
1.1 wage + 1.2 IRs + 1.2 infl
1.2 wage + 1.4 IRs + 1.3 infl
1.3 wage + 1.7 IRs + 1.4 infl

there's an extra level of erosion there and while it's good for debt, it's bad if you're having to service said debt with after tax dollars - it's being eroded twice before you get to spend it.

cheers.

*snip* If the market falls a bit or interest rates increase, then the additional rental yield that you've created more than compensates.

i would say 'helps to compensate', not "more than compensates". how much rent can the market wear? you may find the difference is only $20-$30pw, but your debt costs are $50-$60 a week higher.

still, better to halve it than to cop the full amount - but then, aussie LLs generally seem happy to subsidise their tenants' lifestyles... :confused:

and again, i highlighted this.

if wages continue to grow, then it won't be a problem. however, if sky-high IRs erode the serviceability of the wage growth, then it's a moot point and we may find ourselves going backwards.

example

1.0 wage + 1.0 IRs.
1.1 wage + 1.1 IRs.
1.2 wage + 1.3 IRs.
1.3 wage + 1.5 IRs.

you can see the erosionary effect on the extra income fromthe extra-over IRs from the banks. multiply this all the way to 9.5% SVRs from where we are now, it's not worrying, just something to be aware of.

This absolutely true, but the opposite is also true. If wage growth exceeds IR + inflation growth, house properties will likely increase. And in a booming economy, with wages and inflation on the rise, it's more likely that IRs will be chasing wage growth to keep a lid on inflation. Not the other way around.

So the debate becomes is our economy booming, or is it about to? The mining sector certainly is and will continue to do so in the short term, but will that translate to strong economic growth and hence wage growth across the board? Dunno :)

i would say 'helps to compensate', not "more than compensates". how much rent can the market wear? you may find the difference is only $20-$30pw, but your debt costs are $50-$60 a week higher.
That comment of mine was made specifically in reference to yours where you said
...add a granny flat
Where the construction costs might only be say $70K and the rental return $220-250pw. I'd say that "more than compensates" :)

Will properties 'grow' in value? Yes. They can't NOT grow in value. The amount of new dwellings impacted by the rising costs of inflation means replacement values will rise, which means older properties will move with them on this percieved replacement value. The only way property can fall in value in the upcoming market is if land prices fall. Now, in older subdivisions this is very possible, the land is created already and weathered and been exposed to growth since inception. I don't want to hear about 1982 prices in the US, nor the Sunshine Coast.

New subdivisions may be shielded, somewhat. The cost of services and retaining and fencing is also impacted by inflation and rising costs, so they too will be propped up partially by the actual intrinsic value of the works provided. However, the core price of the wholesale lot may come down in value, affecting the new subdivision directly on top of that.

Land prices can fall, do fall and are not immune to falling in the future.

Good post.

In my opinion this probably means the likes of Perth with land prices per lot and half pied reasonable government charges do not have the same potential to fall as a place like Sydney where the raw land price makes up a large component of the house price as does the government charges. These costs can change at a whim and say Syd gets a period of growing unemployment the gov is likely to move to encourage activity, one cheap way is through reducing taxes.

The extra activity generated is far in excess of the taxes forgone as housing supply has a relatively elastic supply curve according to the likes of reports by economists like Fallis in the US and others. In Australia our academia has been known to say it doesn't have an elastic curve but even anecdotally I am quite certain that is wrong, as we see when prices fall construction drops of a cliff and when prices rise assuming the gov does not move in with taxes (which they are prone to) construction takes off. This is the mechanism by which over the long term prices will reflect costs of production.

The other construction / development costs you mention cannot be gotten around and as you say move with inflation. The RBA's measures of building costs have remained with inflation nicely and I expect this would be similar for development costs excluding land procurement / gov charges / regulatory burden etc too.

Land is the variable as you say but at least in the likes of Perth it is not a huge part of the costs of a new block. I could see Perth outer suburbs falling a bit with the amount of new stock on market but at least the floor of replacement costs ex land are not far off where outer suburban house prices are now and even with my relatively bearish views a house and land package in the likes of Port Kennedy for say 350k for a new 4br starter home seems affordable with a high speed train into the city Perth seems to be getting things right.

I must say though I am eying some of those canal blocks south of Mandurah though, they have to be below replacement value! A canal / land reclamation could not be a cheap bit of gear to make, I reckon these are well under replacement value!

Have a look at this, should make the folks from Sydney jealous:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-residential+land-wa-wannanup-2776682

Cashflow positive properties won't fare much better. The cost to hold them may soon trump the once-great return. I'd want to see a return of 15%+ to be comfortable with just hanging onto them.

Hi Aaron

I agree with much of what you say but I'm unclear of what you mean by a 15% return? Are you referring to gross yields? Net yields? Something else?

If it's a net yield figure then I might suggest you are being a little risk averse. Another way of looking at it is that the risk to your (lack of) future wealth associated with not buying anything (because you can't find those returns) is greater than the risk of buying something a little below that figure.

If it's a gross figure then we are of one mind, although I might accept 14% in the right circumstances... ;)

And yes, I can't see a lot of upside right now in buying what has traditionally been associated with "growth" resi property. Particularly when you can buy properties that put cash in your pocket from day one, with growth prospects that are likely to be even better if you can de-risk the property and consequently increase the market value (such as signing up a quality, new lessee on a long term for example).

Sky high interest rates are unlikely because the world is in deep trouble. The EU and US debt problems won't go away any time soon and things will get worse before they get better.

Remember that our interest rates are already too high for no real reason other than to maintain the already high banking sector profits so I'd like to think that the days of double digit interest rates are gone forever

Back