Had a bit of road rage this morning..

Hi all.
I was in a happy mood heading to work this morning, for a while..
I'm in the right lane because I was going the speed limit and there was a long line in the left. This is in a 100km p/h range of road. A guy comes speeding up behind me, Oh, I though, better jumpo in-to the left lane, at the same tyime he does, too. And then right away realised I was moving over too so he indicated and sped back out passing me. While he passed, his passenger gave me the daggers, big time. I got really angry. I sped up, got right beside him and his passenger made a hand gesture at me. I yelled at him then and began to chase him. After he was weaving in and out of traffic for 30 seconds I thought. This is stupid, just leave it man.
I, in the first time in a long time this morning was prepared to tell this guy to get out and could imagine myself pounding him.

It's been on my concious and just had to vent. I hope he feels sorry for his actions too.
It's funny, I used to box as an amateur a good 10 years ago, and just took it back up again like.. a week ago and already I'm feeling really confident in my ability. The dowside is (obviously..) I need to manage this like I have been the past 10 years. It's just funny that it kicked in like that. Theres no need to resort to violence, I know that but I just got really angry and felt very disrespected.

Not sure why I felt the need to tell everyone on a public forum, but there it is. You can let me know what you think.

Last edited:
Sounds like if someone does something to you to annoy you they better watch out, and if you do something to someone else which annoys them, they better watch out.

Thanks Jaycee, I think you nailed it. My wife gets annoyed with me sometimes when the neighbours 'annoy' me. I take their noise personally sometimes. I'm glad I wrote here because things are getting clearer for me.

I need to calm down and not take things personally. HOW to do that I don't know.

No point talking about your boxing prowess when a similar thing happened recently when someone went into road rage because they were in my blind spot and cut them off. I waved to apologise but no that wasn't good enough. Proceeded to ram the side of my car. What they didn't realise is that having friends as barristers can make life very difficult for them. I believe they lost their job once charges were successfully made against them as they work in the transport sector. I have no pity for them and agree you need to get your anger issues under control. It is a mental illness and needs to be dealt with accordingly. Maybe some therapy or counselling. Not trying to belittle you but seriously one day it could get you into serious trouble. Worse you lose your temper and hit someone and kill them and then you spend time in prison with Bruno asking you to pick up the soap and your wife divorcing you and taking what you have all because you felt angry. It is rather pathetic when you think of it in those terms.

Hi all.
I was in a happy mood heading to work this morning, for a while..
I'm in the right lane because I was going the speed limit and there was a long line in the left. This is in a 100km p/h range of road. A guy comes speeding up behind me, Oh, I though, better jumpo in-to the left lane, at the same tyime he does, too. And then right away realised I was moving over too so he indicated and sped back out passing me. While he passed, his passenger gave me the daggers, big time. I got really angry. I sped up, got right beside him and his passenger made a hand gesture at me. I yelled at him then and began to chase him. After he was weaving in and out of traffic for 30 seconds I thought. This is stupid, just leave it man.
I, in the first time in a long time this morning was prepared to tell this guy to get out and could imagine myself pounding him.

It's been on my concious and just had to vent. I hope he feels sorry for his actions too.
It's funny, I used to box as an amateur a good 10 years ago, and just took it back up again like.. a week ago and already I'm feeling really confident in my ability. The dowside is (obviously..) I need to manage this like I have been the past 10 years. It's just funny that it kicked in like that. Theres no need to resort to violence, I know that but I just got really angry and felt very disrespected.

Not sure why I felt the need to tell everyone on a public forum, but there it is. You can let me know what you think.
A Lady at the Rocklea Sunday Markets sells car stickers that say..
..I SLOW DOWN FOR TAILGATERS..works well for me or buy yourself a dummy car mounted camera that seems to work also:)..

Thanks guys, you're exactly right. I'm normally a really easy going, happy guy so I'm not sure where I get these little things from. But as stated, they could turn in-to really big problems if I continue on the way I'm going.

My step-dad used to do the same thing and I remember thinking how pathetic he was when us kids were in the car and he got out to fight some other guy with a kid. If I thought that was pathetic, then I'm not sure where I get that kind of mentality from.

I got angry the other day at my neighbour because he saw me outside doing my fitness regime, slowed down to see and everything, then he got to his gate and continued to beep his horn for a good 5 minutes waiting for someone to open the gate for him. I took it on as a personal attack once again, so there is another example. From now on when in a similar situation, I'm just going to have to think nothing of it. Am I too 'uptight'? I really am an easy going, kind guy in all other aspects of my life.

In a work review just last week: the only comment my superior wished to present to the boss was that I need to be more assertive on the phone. Just to give you a little more idea on my personality. I don't like to cause any dramas, and like to take it easy and friendly wherever I can.

I figure that maybe because I see yself as a kind person, I take extra offence when the same respect is not shown to me. Just throwing ideas out there.

Investor

I have always found that when someone does something to you that annoys you just to brush it off. For example take this morning when you were cut off. Better just to think of the good things in your life. Your fitness programme, your new boxing skills, the challenges lying ahead for this year. At the same time think that maybe the other person also has challenges. Maybe they are mentally ill and not on their medication, maybe their wife just passed away, maybe they found out they were fired from 25 years of employment. Once you stop focusing on yourself and focusing on others and other things I think the anger will subside. Sounds like your stepfather has had a significant impact (negatively) on you and something you may need to work through.

Quite a few yearas ago I received l a telephone call from a female polce officer. We are outside your mother's unit. She is having a psychotic attack (she'd had quite a few of these)...she's been on the balcony for last 2 hours shouting at the world. Can you get over here quickly? I had thoughts of that mentally ill guy shot by police on Bondi Beach. I drove very quickly. Got there just as police were about to enter her unit, one with hand on her gun holster. When I called out my mother let me into the unit then slammed the door shut on the police officers. Freaked them out. Didn't concern me though as I knew it would be ok from then on.

Sometimes (very rarely) you need to drive quickly.

Am I too 'uptight'? I really am an easy going, kind guy in all other aspects of my life.

You're a ball of contradictions.

You think you're an easy going guy. You're not.

As evidenced by your first post in this thread -

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73718&highlight=stereo

It's not all about you. You have a nasty streak, a short fuse and if you don't seek help you will end up hurting someone.

Grow up, get over yourself and speak to someone.

Rooster

Now now Rooster, I think you're being a little 'cocky' here.. :D
Serious man, just take it a little easier here o.k.

I'm, a nice guy, I have a nice temparement. Except I have a nasty streak that I'm wanting to free myself from. Looks like I'll have to start with you :)

You're a ball of contradictions.

You think you're an easy going guy. You're not.

As evidenced by your first post in this thread -

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73718&highlight=stereo

It's not all about you. You have a nasty streak, a short fuse and if you don't seek help you will end up hurting someone.

Grow up, get over yourself and speak to someone.

Rooster

Thanks Jaycee!

Your positive backing has given me renewed empowerment. Sometimes people have to near the end of their rope to make the decision to change for the better.

I also feel I can control my thoughts & actions better similarly too, so you're not alone mate

Now now Rooster, I think you're being a little 'cocky' here.. :D
Serious man, just take it a little easier here o.k.

I'm, a nice guy, I have a nice temparement. Except I have a nasty streak that I'm wanting to free myself from. Looks like I'll have to start with you :)

I'm not sure what you were searching for from starting a thread like this.

If it was for someone to reaffirm your actions, thoughts and give you anecdotes of similar reactions then I hope your shocked.

Your thought process isn't logical and you continually contradict yourself.

You can't have a nice temperament and have road rage episodes. The two don't go hand in hand. This isn't your only postings where your logic and behaviour has been questionable.

Maybe it's me who is way off the mark for what I consider suitable public behaviour.

But if you'd crashed your car and killed someone then this little online public introspection would be the last of your worries.

Rooster

I'm not sure what you were searching for from starting a thread like this.

If it was for someone to reaffirm your actions, thoughts and give you anecdotes of similar reactions then I hope your shocked.

Your thought process isn't logical and you continually contradict yourself.

You can't have a nice temperament and have road rage episodes. The two don't go hand in hand. This isn't your only postings where your logic and behaviour has been questionable.

Maybe it's me who is way off the mark for what I consider suitable public behaviour.

But if you'd crashed your car and killed someone then this little online public introspection would be the last of your worries.

Rooster

You're repeating yourself & investor2009's own concerns. You've made your point correctly & clearly - let the guy try & do something positive with it now.

I believe I made this public today because I've had enough and I'm searching for help. Simple.

I just told a fellow employee what happened, but before that, I asked "whats my temprament, how would you describe me?'

He replied, well you're a nice guy, you don't like to upset anyone.
I then proceeded to tell him what happened and he was actually quite shocked. He said 'Better take it easy around you from now on then' and we laughed, well. Kinda.

So the general consensus is that I am a nice person, so long as I feel respected. But I also have a bad side that needs attention, and I'm more than willing to do that. I like a challenge, especially when it betters my life and well-being.

I believe it may stem from, seeds were sewn when I was young.
I did have a hard life, I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me so I won't bother going in-to detail but I was very angry at that time. Maybe I just assumed that was all but gone since I have grown up now. And don't tell me to harden up and pull my head in because children do not deserve to be treated like that and it IS difficult to pretend it never happened and totally change one's way of thinking/though pattern. What does matter is that people work through it, otherwise we all know where they end up. Thats just plain sad to think about.

I thank everyone for their help but to some, I think you need to work on learning how to help people instead of plain being difficult. And if thats coming from a guy who nearly beat up some random stranger in a car this morning then maybe you should be even more thoughtful about it.

Just sayin'
Thank you.

Back