Has anyone run for council?

I thought Newcastle Council was dysfunctional ... but it is barely out of kindergarten compared to Cessnock.

As this is going to be my long term hometown ... a town that has so much potential but is torn apart by council infighting, and massive amounts of much needed ratepayers money being spent on councillors bringing court cases against each other, or petty infighting about who gets a swipe card ... I am very seriously considering putting my hand up.

Cessnock area has money coming in - via coal and wine, but the township itself is stuck back in the pit days. The council recently voted to slash the tourism budget - yet are happy to bicker in the high court about things that should never have gone there - while the tourists drive up from Sydney to have their tyre rims ripped apart on the potholes.

Tourists (with money) are disappointed by the town (love the vineyards). The locals with cash to spend are now beginning to outnumber the traditional welfare/labourer receipients but, asides from groceries and hairdressers, there is nothing to spend it on ... there is money to be bought into the town yet it is not being spent here due to poor presentation, options and desireability.

Even many of the road systems are dysfuncational - I've only been here 4 weeks and already seen certain giveway signs replaced day after day because the road corners are not suitable for the heavy trucks that use them ... and don't even mention the double traffic lights to try and get into the main street!

I can see Cessnock as being something like the Wairarapa Region in NZ is ... centre of wine/olive country. World class small museums, quality antique stores, classy cafes, art galleries, ballooning, professional festivals and just a really really nice place to be ... I guess just like the Barossa, but even more encouraging of the arts community.

http://www.barossa.com/

Instead of what we do have ... humpy's, potholes, a jail and a great community spirit that needs leadership and vision. A town that is deserving at being the centre hub of this:

http://www.winecountry.com.au/

Bit like needing a massive reno ...

I am very seriously considering putting my hand up.

Instead of what we do have ... humpy's, potholes, a jail and a great community spirit that needs leadership and vision. A town that is deserving at being the centre hub of this:

http://www.winecountry.com.au/

Bit like needing a massive reno ...

Vote from me-Put your hand up Lizzie...I think cessnock is a bit like bathurst but more going for it...

Ps.Like your interview btw :)

currently -pit ... with a lot of -nocking ... deserves to be suc-cess-ful

What I really want to do is find a running mate - or team - both for personal support for all, but also for more influence.

currently -pit ... with a lot of -nocking ... deserves to be suc-cess-ful

What I really want to do is find a running mate - or team - both for personal support for all, but also for more influence.

If it's as dysfunctional as it sounds, I'd expect it soon to be disbanded and administrator appointed. Something to investigate perhaps?

i'm running for lord mayor of the world - dictator el-supremo...

there's gonna be licenses to breed, no middle class welfare and a gold standard.

Last edited:
perhaps they could PM me with some advice ... that would be fantastic.

As for disbanding ... that has been on the cards for the last four years, according to local media, as well as ignored requests for state government enquiries.

The next elections are only 6 months away so I can't see an administrator being put in at this late date. I think it'll just be ridden out - and then rid'en.

Thanks for bringing this up Lizzie - and best of luck if you do decide to run! Must admit I'll be watching closely as I'd like to run in my local area in 6-8 years time. Our council is just coming out of administration later this year, there's a lot to be done, it's not in great shape, but I think it would be worthwhile.
I can't run at the moment as too new to town, and also have conflicting interests, plus not "mature/wise" enough yet.

Best of luck and I'll watch on with interest!

Go for it I say!

Dear Lizzie,
a couple of years ago a girlfriend was approached to run for a city council.
I said 'don't do it' and 'run for the hills'.
I am so glad she didnt listen to me !:eek:
She wanted to make the city a better place:)
She was voted in etc, and has managed to initiate some reforms which work!
You have my blessing
cheers
Seaford Sunshine

My two main hurdles are that I'm new to town ... although new blood, with a fresh vision, is desparately needed a blow-in may not be appreciated ... and I have a young family (and starting a business, and just begining to build a ppor, and establish a barren 10 acre block, and a hubby that works 10 hours a day) and I remember as a teen, when my mother was highly involved in council, there were many nights she wasn't home.

From memory, the worst part is the amount of paperwork she had to wade through for every decision and issue.

May have to pass on this election, get established, and then run in 4 years time ... but ... the fates will work as they are meant too ...

;)
i'm running for lord mayor of the world - dictator el-supremo...

there's gonna be licenses to breed, no middle class welfare and a gold standard.

You would get my vote!

Lizzie, I have often pondered doing the same & would also like to hear from any who have made the commitment. I imagine it would be intensely frustrating however if we want to influence positive change, we need to get involved..... Personally, I despise councils, but they aren't going away anytime soon, so one day I might just have to jump in the deep end. ;)

Don't you first have to get yourself aligned to one of the political parties? Then you'd be able to join one of the 'old guard' probably factions already there.

Or if you want to be the 'independent cleanskin reform' candidate, you:

* Boost your profile by writing letters to the editor of the local rag, using your full name. Nearer the election you can sign yourself candidate for council.

* Get to know local journalists - maybe help them with leads for local stories (not necessarily council related).

* Join and volunteer for at least 3 or 4 local community groups. A business oriented group is good so you get to know the local shopkeepers (to have your notices in their window later or put up a billboard). A welfare or soup kitchen group shows you care about social issues. The RSL shows you're patriotic and care about the oldies. A progress association or similar shows you're positive/forward thinking and aren't just knocking the existing council. A sporting group or the historical society are also sound choices. Not many people listen to community radio but you might get to interview important people. But don't strut your politics in these groups - just work hard and do stuff.

* Either infiltrate or set up a local ratepayers association or residents group. You may be able to use this to find people who you can recruit as running mates or helpers or letter box stuffers. Go on about non-partisan issues like accountability and value for money.

* Set up a local social media or facebook group for your area and try to get participation and discussion on local issues. Or get a spouse to do it if you want it to be somewhat independent from you (but you can still use it as a platform).

* Learn the language of the main migrant group in the area (if significant)

* Learn from Nick Xenophon and do public stunts to get publicity (though not everyone can get away with this)

* Read Machiavelli

Don't wait.

Lizzie,
If you have aspirations to head in this direction then the best advice that I could give is not to wait until the next term.
Yes there are hurdles for you but if you wait another 4 years then you will become all that more frustrated.

Spiderman has made some great points.

Brilliant points Spiderman, and exactly the advice I was after ... have to give some really serious thought over the next week as, with less than 5 months to go until the elections.

Possibly left it a little late in regards to gaining influence and involvement in community/business groups ... however, will start next week with joining a new woman's fundraising and awareness group run by one of the young current councillors.

Back