Has anyone run for council?

Look out Nick Nock, here comes Lizzie :eek:

The fact that your Mum was involved gives you a better understanding than most. If you have lived in Ncle very long you may remember a chap named Vic Bell who was on the NCC forever.

He was a family friend and I witnessed the incredible demands it placed on his time. He was rarely home and when he was, someone would be ringing him up about something, often quite petty stuff at 11.00pm or even later.

Extremely demanding task for not much thanks, that is why most councillors have an ulterior motive, usually for financial gain or political aspirations. There are some who still do it as a community service now even though there have been ambitions in the past.

He was a family friend and I witnessed the incredible demands it placed on his time. He was rarely home and when he was, someone would be ringing him up about something, often quite petty stuff at 11.00pm or even later.

That's my biggest fear - and I did witness it with my mother. My worry is that junior is still young and we "do" a lot together ... whereas we were teens when mum took up council, so more independent.

Perhaps it may be a case of join some groups, such as "The Cessnock Sisterhood" (the blurb: a new women's group to raise awareness, fundraising, meeting likeminded locals and making the town a better place to live) - run by a young local councillor - and do good from there.

Mate from a certain council just got a massive lump sum (think strong 6 figures) from a business to fund his election next term. And I'm sure he's asking other business people to fund him too.

You should definitely run. More profitable than properties.

PS: I don't know about Newcastle, but there is no workload demand as a councillor based on my extensive observation (and trust me when I say it's very extensive). It's a part time job and you can go to as many functions as you like and therefore stay out til 11pm or none if you like. Many councillors have full-time jobs. If you're a one-termer and have no intentions for holding office/power in the future, why would you be out mingling til 11pm? The only reason is because you like to wine and dine. There's no other reason.

Spiderman - the bigger the council, the more the campaign is about money. Each direct mail cost $1.00. If you can mail to everyone in your electorate, say 80000 people, that's $80k per pot of mailing. Most candidates won't be doing that. And the major parties don't officially endorse council elections so even Liberal of ALP members will not get much funding. So if you can shoot off 2 tailored mails, you're a street ahead. Once you start throwing money, the media will be on to you so don't worry about that. Obviously going to local fundraisings and being a major sponsor there makes people remember you. Radio ads, TV ads if you are going all out, having trucks with your banners rolling around the street etc, 100 volunteers and paid workers door-knocking for you. If you don't have money to burn, then yes maybe what you say is correct.

Hi DB,

This may be one of those quirky situations where in the city no one really knows much about the councillors but in the smaller places it is very different.

Councillors get rung up at 3.00am about barking dogs, parties and anything else they think you should fix, simply because they voted for you. They will stop you in the street and lecture on what should be happening, even if you are with a group of friends or family.

Small town councillors are very put upon and most give away any allowance they receive as donations. I can tell you that every social group will ask all councillors for a donation every year and if you don't give one then don't expect any votes from them.

Trust me, you are on call 24/7 in a town or small city, I know I have seen it over a period of 4 years, never ending !

Oh haha that's nothing like the big city councils. Should check out Clover Moore and Robert Doyle jet-setting around New York and Tokyo.

If people call you at 3am because the next door neighbour's dog is barking, don't run for that council!!!!

You email councillors, or ring in business hours - they're not emergency services workers.

Anyone giving out their private number is a total ning nong.

Only idiots can't wait and MUST ring out of business hours.

Perhaps it may be a case of join some groups, such as "The Cessnock Sisterhood" (the blurb: a new women's group to raise awareness, fundraising, meeting likeminded locals and making the town a better place to live) - run by a young local councillor - and do good from there.

This sounds like a great way to dip your toes in the water while you settle into your new community and attempt to juggle all of the other things you have on your plate at the moment. Good on you for being willing to do something.

Anyone giving out their private number is a total ning nong.

My mobile number is published on the council web site :eek:, don't get that many calls though.

Have been an elected member since last SA elections in 2010. Have quite enjoyed it so far. You can put as much time and effort in as you want to really. Can be a LOT of reading meeting agendas and reports.

My mobile number is published on the council web site :eek:, don't get that many calls though.

Have been an elected member since last SA elections in 2010. Have quite enjoyed it so far. You can put as much time and effort in as you want to really. Can be a LOT of reading meeting agendas and reports.

If you respond to people within a reasonable time, not being available 24/7 is perfectly acceptable, but I suppose so is being available all hours if they DON'T contact you :).

I think councillors vary alot, and I think you're right in that they can do as much or as little as they want.

One of ours in this area (my area actually) was a joke, but the rest are fine that I'm aware of. She has a business here, so is well known, and is rude and obnoxious to customers and other business owners around her.

I had my own personal experiences with her, one being her running up to me like a crazed woman, and telling me she'd love to use a baseball bat on me and others like me if is she had one, because I used the shopping centre car park briefly when I did not shop there (yes wrong, but... :confused:).

Another time referred to one of my children as 'it' just as we were to use her services (he didn't do anything that warranted it), so i walked out :rolleyes:.

Fortunately we have seen the back of her - except for when we pass her business.

Was just looking at a council newsletter... noticed only one councillor had his mobile number there. I know the guy personally and he doesn't seem to get much calls.

Back